2018 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

late bloomer

I saw a nice thread in the Biology forum that inspired me.

Please feel free to add to this post with your own profiles, or experiences thus far in the 2018/2019 entry phase. 

I could not find anything similar here, so I wanted to do my best to establish a thread that can stand the test of time throughout 2018.  Please feel free to copy the text I use as a template for your post.

Here is my profile for evaluation.  I am hoping for a Tier 1 research university with full funding.  Obviously I won't be attempting to apply to anything in the top 30-40 because of my undergrad school and "not incredible" test scores & GPA.  I have some solid recommendation letters from tenured professors; however, my school is not a research school, and I am not a published researcher.  I have a lot working for me in terms of work experience, interpersonal & writing skills, and have focused my desires into contributing to academia in a meaningful way.  I know that I would be welcomed at a Tier 2 university; however, I would like to hear whether or not you folks think I am aiming too high or too low with my choices as stated below for the Tier 1 selections.  

Undergrad Institution: Private-For Profit (lowly regarded, not online)       
Major(s): Business
Minor(s): Accounting
GPA in Major: 3.9          Overall GPA: 3.89        Position in Class: Top
Type of Student: Domestic, White Male, Adult/Professional

Graduate Institution: Southern Region Jesuit University      
Major(s): MBA
Minor(s): Finance
Overall GPA: 3.80                                                 Position in Class: Top

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q:  161 (78th)
V:  159 (83rd)
W:  4.5 (82nd)

Research Experience: Low-medium; Independent research study during MBA, focused on predicting outcomes based on statistical analysis using STATA.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Honor society undergrad.  Endowed scholarship recipient during MBA.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Significant professional experience and related skills

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Professional certifications from globally recognized entities

Special Bonus Points: Strong recommendations, chosen to represent the University in various ways.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Pre-doc candidate at the 2017 Southern Management Association, should have some connections within (safe choice) target universities

Applying to Where (I would like to think I could be a strong applicant for this group):

University of California San Diego – PhD. – Business – Management

George Mason University – PhD. – Communications or Public Policy

George Washington University – PhD. – International Business | Management & Strategy

(Several school within the SMA conference region as well that would be straight PhD. Business – Management (HR/OB/Entrepreneurship), but I will pretty much know if I would be accepted based on my conversations with the faculty at the 2018 SMA conference.)

• 2 weeks later...

Undergrad institution: foreign
Major: Management
GPA in Major: 4.0          
Type of student: International (naturalized citizen), white female, on the older side

Graduate institution: UVA
Major: MBA
Overall GPA: not spelled in the transcript. Mostly B's, some B+ and A's.

GRE scores:
Q:  166
V:  166
W:  4.5

Research experience: not in a traditional PhD sense. Regular undergrad research work (for a thesis).

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: undergrad summa cum laude.

Experience: 8 years post-MBA (which they don't necessarily like in PhD)

Recommendations: three distinguished UVA professors, with a caveat that we didn't do any research at UVA.

Applying to where: Wharton, MIT, Yale, Princeton, Columbia.

I am practically testing the waters this year.

• 1 month later...

Hi Business PhD applicants of Fall 2018

We are in Week 1 of March. Are there any chances of getting an interview or waitlist notification at this point? (I am assuming that a direct acceptance without an interview is not a possibility).

What do you reckon?

Thanks and good luck!