Student Interview?

shmal96

Hey, so I was recently offered an interview for a biomedical PhD Program and they sent me an itinerary for my visit. They first have scheduled an hour long 'Student Interview', then 3 consecutive 30 minute interviews with my potential PI's of interest. 

I know what to talk about for the PI interviews (my research, have them talk about theirs, let me ask questions about theirs, etc) but I'm not sure what a 'Student Interview' is? I assumed I was going to have an interview with the general admissions committee, but the name doesn't sound like that's what it would be. Are they referring to  me as a 'student'? Or will it be actual grad students doing a casual interview with me? 

Given that the other three interviews have professor named with them, I'd say that it's likely interviews with students. But you can always ask if you are not sure. Or better yet, just prepare for both cases. It's very common for current students to meet with prospective/interviewing students during these visits. It's more meant for you to ask students about living conditions, and other aspects of grad student life. The format can vary a lot, it could be one on one meetings, a panel discussion, etc. 

17 hours ago, TakeruK said:

Given that the other three interviews have professor named with them, I'd say that it's likely interviews with students. But you can always ask if you are not sure. Or better yet, just prepare for both cases. It's very common for current students to meet with prospective/interviewing students during these visits. It's more meant for you to ask students about living conditions, and other aspects of grad student life. The format can vary a lot, it could be one on one meetings, a panel discussion, etc. 

TakeruK hit it right on the head. This will be an interview with a current graduate student and will be slightly different than your PI interviews. It is really your chance to ask a student one-on-one about any concerns you may have about the program, graduate life, etc. As someone conducting these interviews for my program, I will emphasize that while it will be a different format from your PI interviews and will be more casual, you are still be evaluated and it will be weighted alongside your "official" interviews by the committee. It is important to maintain professionalism and continue to bring positive energy. You have no idea how many interviewees relax during this stage and make a bad impression.