Recommendations for women's shoes for interviews

not_really_cool

I have an admissions interview weekend (possibly more) coming up in February. I'm planning on wearing slacks with button-down shirts and sweaters, but I still need to get a pair of comfortable, professional shoes to wear. I'm at a total loss when it comes to fashion: I'm an undergrad whose daily attire consists of jeans, t-shirts, and men's vans. I realize heels are a bad idea (I hate them anyway!) especially with snow being nearly guaranteed at this particular school. Does anyone have any recommendations of specific brands / styles / models of shoes? I'm willing to spend ~$100 since I could potentially wear them to conferences and the like.

P.S. This is my first post here. Is this the right place for this topic? Thanks!

It depends on where you are going to interview. Upper-Midwest (Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and the like)? Knee-high boots with a chunky heel.  Your legs will be less cold, your calves supported and the chunky heel actually helps with the ice and snow- keeps you out of the snow and you can use the heel part to dig into the ice if need be. I also wear cute, fur-lined boots and moccasins and Minnetonkas are cute, comfortable, and may even score you points in Minnesota because Minnetonka is headquartered in Minnetonka, MN.

Another hint, wear fleece-lined leggings under your dress pants and a tight cami under your shirt.  That extra (tight) layer will help a lot. 

I just got an interview in a cold climate too. I'm planning on putting a nice pair of flats in my bag, and then wearing my snow boots outside. If were you are going is going to have snow I would make sure you have a pair of shoes that are waterproof and have really good grip on the bottom, since sidewalks are often slick/icy. This could be a pair of snow boots, although they can be pricey and if were your from doesn't get snow it might not be worth it. I've seen some people just use a pair of hiking boots with warm socks (as many pairs as you need to keep your feet warm) underneath. 

There are some nice ankle boots out there that you can wear with dress pants but also are warm and have some traction! Depending on where you're interviewing that might be good enough for walking around outside (although if you're in the midwest or northeast probably not).  

In my opinion, the more "formal" versions of Vans are loafers or Oxfords. (I like boots, too, but everyone else has that covered.) I don't love wearing sneakers, but my basic outfit right now is jeans + t-shirt or sweatshirt + loafers or Oxfords, which made me think those shoes might be your style. At the same time, both styles go naturally with more formal pants outfits, and some people can pull them off with dresses/skirts. Neither loafers or Oxfords are as wet weather-appropriate as boots, so depending on where you live/are going, boots might be a better suggestion (although I find Oxfords workable up to 2" snow if I've waterproofed them).

An example of the kind of loafers I mean. These are a bit expensive, but I don't like the cut that leaves the top half of your foot exposed, so these are the first example I found of the style I mean. When I want to wear loafers, I am wearing them as more formal sneakers, not as slightly more structured flats, so they still need to cover most of the top of my foot. And look at how cute these Oxfords are! I feel like Oxfords look stiffer and less comfortable than loafers, but I usually find them more comfortable, personally. (I have never bought shoes from either company I linked to.)

Thank you for the help, everyone!

I think I'll bring hiking boots and carry a more formal pair of shoes in a bag. Michigan is snowy in February!

@hats I really like the style of the loafers & oxfords you linked to. Is there a particular brand you would suggest?

@not_really_cool My favorite pair of Oxfords ever were Steve Madden, but I am more of a devotee of DSW/Nordstrom Rack than of any brand in particular. If there is a good deal, I will try it! (Plus my feet are a bit weirdly shaped, so I like being able to try on a lot of shoes fairly quickly.) I wish I could be more specific!

As @hats said Nords rack is the perfect place for something like this! Also from someone who works in a formal office and wears dress pants/suits daily and formal shoes it helps to either wear the pants you plan to wear to the interviews shopping or at a minimum try on the shoes and pants together at home before you go on your interview. Even with a chunky kitten heel (1-2in) your pants can end up ending in an awkward part of your ankle if they are cut to be worn with flats. If you can get them on sale there is nothing better than a Tory Burch flat - your feet will be incredibly happy!

If you are looking for something more understated Madewell (https://www.madewell.com/madewell_category/SHOESANDBOOTS.jsp) has comfy and plain shoes that would probably look nice w/ your dress pants and they are always having some kind of sale so you can usually knock 20-30% off the list price. Same with J crew if you are interested in a slightly more colorful flat instead of Madewell's leather.