MFA Creative Writing Acceptance/Rejection Letters

Perszona

41 minutes ago, LazyEmergency said:

Wow, it seems pretty uncool for an admissions committee member to be criticizing applicants when the process is ongoing:

I agree with you completely. Pretty tacky for him to be subtweeting about applicants. I thought Iowa was classier than that.

Also, reminds me of that one professor that got torn apart on Twitter when she said applicants should stop putting the phrase, "Ever since I was young, I have been fascinated by..."

Perhaps these schools should stop asking such obvious questions if they want to stop receiving obvious answers. Of course an applicant to a science program is fascinated by science. Of course an applicant to an MFA wants to become a better writer. 

4 minutes ago, LazyEmergency said:

Do it!

I applied to other programs so I'm not going to risk it.

I feel for you though, this is a stressful time. And you're right, his tweet is not helpful. Maybe it is for next season applicants, but it just stresses out those who already paid the application fee, stressed over their writing samples, statements, etc. 

I just feel sorry for Iowa applicants who see his tweet and cringe when they realize they put that phrase in their letter. 

3 minutes ago, npc said:

I just feel sorry for Iowa applicants who see his tweet and cringe when they realize they put that phrase in their letter. 

That would be my response if I were to reply. And yeah, I ran to my statement letter as soon as I saw the tweet and oh. my. god. I used "hone my skills," not craft, but still.

I had to run and open my SOP and check to see if I used "hone" at all. I would sigh in relief, but I didn't apply to Iowa, and now I'm wondering if other schools look for that, and thus begins the never-ending circle of overthinking and despair.

3 hours ago, LazyEmergency said:

That would be my response if I were to reply. And yeah, I ran to my statement letter as soon as I saw the tweet and oh. my. god. I used "hone my skills," not craft, but still.

If it makes you feel any better, he said "otherwise great." If his annoyance at a perfectly acceptable, if slightly cliché, phrase keeps you out of Iowa... I don't even know what to say about that. I hope you will get good news soon @LazyEmergency . 

3 hours ago, Navygrrl said:

I had to run and open my SOP and check to see if I used "hone" at all. I would sigh in relief, but I didn't apply to Iowa, and now I'm wondering if other schools look for that, and thus begins the never-ending circle of overthinking and despair.

I really think it was just him venting. It's a petty thing he selected to pick on. If that is his main complaint, the applications must be looking pretty good this cycle, and that should be more worrisome. (Just kidding)

I think there's always the potential that our SOP could rub the adcom the wrong way and there's no way to know if they've just happened to read several that are quite similar to yours. 

I'm also overthinking and despairing with you. I found a typo in my writing sample I submitted to my dream program and I've been obsessing over that. Then I let it go, because I can't change it now and the sample's purpose is to show my potential. It's far more likely that my writing is not a fit for them, and that's why I don't get in -- not because of a mistyped word.

23 minutes ago, npc said:

I really think it was just him venting.

Yeah. Wasn't there another prof a couple of years ago complaining about all the Science applicants writing some variation of "I've always been fascinated by…" I mean, I would hope Science fascinates you, if you're applying to grad school for it! Likewise, I want to hone/improve/sharpen/better my writing. Hence, applying for the MFA (among other reasons, of course).

Thanks for the encouraging words, @npc

On February 20, 2018 at 3:16 PM, GallifreyGirl said:

We're in the same boat ... Vandy's my first choice too (with no hope of getting in) and I only applied to 4 programs because I just decided to completely upend my life right around mid-November, and so my writing sample and personal stmt were basically garbage wearing perfume.

Waiting on my next 3 rejections atm :/

"garbage wearing perfume" lolol i relate to that

that's the same boat i'm in too, i just really wanted a change of scenery. :/ best of luck though! :) 

1 hour ago, GallifreyGirl said:

Aw, come on, Greensboro isn't that terrible of a city :P 

Also: congrats!!

LOL! I had to tell my husband that it was a happy cry. I hadn't realized how stressed I'd been by all the waiting.

Also, I love your username.

Hey folks! Hope it's okay if I join this party. 

I applied to six programs (5 MFAs, one an MA/MS in book publishing) and have heard back from one so far (a yes from Emerson, thank you Boston). 

The stress is w i l d. I feel like I've grown attached to my phone and, specifically, my email. And my mailbox. I can't wait to just know. 

2 hours ago, Navygrrl said:

LOL! I had to tell my husband that it was a happy cry. I hadn't realized how stressed I'd been by all the waiting.

Also, I love your username.

Awww, thanks!  I made it up a few years ago for NYCM and now I use it for everything. Because Eleven is my spirit animal.

On February 22, 2018 at 10:48 AM, PoetWitness said:

Do you know if that's in all genres? Or just fiction? Or just poetry?

And, hey, they may be accepting in waves. Don't count yourself out yet!

I'm assuming it's all genres. I was notified -- literally a few hours after typing this -- that I am on the wait list. Ack! This process feels like riding a roller coaster. And I am not a thrill-seeker. ? 

Anyway, we all still have March and early April. I've heard from previous applicants that a lot can happen in that time frame. 

Sending everyone positive vibes through this process! 

21 minutes ago, PoetWitness said:

I'm assuming it's all genres. I was notified -- literally a few hours after typing this -- that I am on the wait list. Ack! This process feels like riding a roller coaster. And I am not a thrill-seeker. ? 

Anyway, we all still have March and early April. I've heard from previous applicants that a lot can happen in that time frame. 

Sending everyone positive vibes through this process! 

Congrats on being on the waitlist! I hope you get to go!! 

Also, I hope you're right about a lot happening in this time frame...I am not enjoying the wait though! 

2 hours ago, hyrule said:

Hey folks! Hope it's okay if I join this party. 

I applied to six programs (5 MFAs, one an MA/MS in book publishing) and have heard back from one so far (a yes from Emerson, thank you Boston). 

The stress is w i l d. I feel like I've grown attached to my phone and, specifically, my email. And my mailbox. I can't wait to just know. 

I concur. I panic when I feel my phone vibrate, refresh my email, or check my mailbox. And I can't continue stress eating girl scout cookies. But, 'tis the season I suppose? 

11 hours ago, GallifreyGirl said:

Awww, thanks!  I made it up a few years ago for NYCM and now I use it for everything. Because Eleven is my spirit animal.

Nine is my favorite, but he was my first. Actually, I love them all and can't wait until October for Thirteen.