MFA Creative Writing Acceptance/Rejection Letters

Perszona

On 21/03/2018 at 3:38 AM, MBTA said:

Anyone deal with flakey recommenders? My 3rd recommender ghosted and I had to replace him (mostly my fault because I was hesitant to ask him in the first place. Professional rather than academic rec). Most programs were flexible and understanding but it took weeks to get it sorted out and another letter written. In that time the only program that asked for 2 recs instead of 3 accepted me outright, while another waitlisted me as soon as they received the new letter.

I'm giving myself another round to try to catch on with a funded program but I'm frustrated I didn't control all variables to learn for next year.

I actually find this the worst part of the process, I hate asking for favours like this. It seems a lot easier for those who have come out of a writing bachelors and have professors to ask as opposed to all of us working writers...

On 23/03/2018 at 2:06 AM, Jacqui said:

Waiting for updates on waitlists provides me just enough hope that I'm slowly going mad :wacko:

Waitlist is the worst. When I was applying I thought I’d rather be rejected than waitlisted, but the universe ignored my preferences. The school I’m waitlisted at seems to have a huge waitlist, many more waitlist notifications on the results page than acceptances. Thankfully it’s almost the end of March, I think in about three weeks I can assume it’s not going to happen. I mean, I assume that now, but I can’t help but hold my breath when I check my email...

Interested in any thoughts on these questions...

- now that you have most of your results, are you happy with your decision about where to apply?

- for those with choices to make between schools, when do you think you are likely to make a decision?

- for those (like me) planning to reapply next year, will you pick different schools to this year?  

For above: I applied to many schools (15.) If I could reapply, one thing I'd do differently is not apply to safety schools/places I wasn't excited about. I expected to be easily admitted into these programs and thus be conferred minor confidence boosts among a long slew of rejections, but I didn't get into a single one of my safety schools and so really it just made me feel very bad. Further, whenever I got accepted into a non-safety school my first thought was "this is a mistake! I didn't even get into ___!" So, yeah. I wish I hadn't corrupted the process with safety schools. 

I'm likely to make a decision within a week or two. 

2 hours ago, Someonehere said:

- now that you have most of your results, are you happy with your decision about where to apply?

- for those with choices to make between schools, when do you think you are likely to make a decision?

I had no idea what I was doing when I started applying. I probably would have applied to more fully funded programs, but then I would probably have ended up where I am now anyways. It's the school whose location best fits with me and my family, and I like the small cohort and the work of the teachers there. I've pretty much already made my decision, but I'm waiting to interview for a GA position, which will come with a tuition waver and stipend, before I actually accept. I already gave up my spot on one program to which I was accepted, but I'm also waiting on funding info on the third school.

I definitely wouldn't have applied to Emerson, mainly because my husband refuses to live in Patriots territory. ;) 

On 24/03/2018 at 9:20 AM, DickySlicks said:

For above: I applied to many schools (15.) If I could reapply, one thing I'd do differently is not apply to safety schools/places I wasn't excited about. 

Here’s to only doing things we are really passionate about and want!