MFA Creative Writing Acceptance/Rejection Letters

Perszona

Ah, man, Cornell's been my #1 for two years now :( I didn't make the deadline the first time I applied (in 2016; I was still a senior in college then) and it looks like I didn't make it, period, this time lol.

(I was a bit overzealous re: applications this time around after being rejected by all five schools in 2016, though, haha, and have around ~15 schools to hear from (in addition to one rejection (UMass Amherst) and four acceptances I'm so fucking stoked about (two UK universities, and NC State and Purdue, both of which're offering (full) tuition waivers and TA-ships!!!)) so I'm mostly OK with it. I guess Cornell and I just aren't meant to be, lol.)

Also... if thegradcafe's results from previous years are any indication... this coming week (19th - 23rd Feb.) is the week that most schools notify successful applicants! :blink: Which, fuck!!!

(Although, as @Jacqui said, this year has felt a little quiet / slow...)

Edited by samosasandsobaos

Hi everyone! I thought I would get in on this waiting club :D 

The suspense is too much for me right now. I am on my second wave of MFA applications in fiction (first one was in 2016) and still waiting to hear from 6 schools. It's a bit early still, but I want to start planning!!! 

I'm waiting on Wisconsin-Madison, Purdue, Indiana Bloomington, Wyoming-Laramie, UCSD, and Western Washington. So far I've been rejected from Houston and Pittsburgh, but accepted to Adelphi. 

1 hour ago, B_A_Q said:

I wonder if Cornell has notified all of the accepted applicants; it's a small cohort, so I guess it's likely that they've been called. Idk -- has anyone heard anything about Cornell (or Brown) from The Draft? 

I have no information about Cornell or Brown, but I am wondering how I can join The Draft? 

On 2/18/2018 at 8:03 PM, Navygrrl said:

Iowa has started calling for acceptances, for those who applied there.

I only applied to two schools, as I had no idea what I was getting into as a complete noob to all of this.

I feel like you're better off. I'm starting to see that there's little hope for me getting accepted anywhere, especially coming right from undergrad, so I wish I wouldn't have spent so much on application fees and waited until I had more "life experience" and more writing under my belt before applying to a bunch of places. But everything works out the way it's supposed to, so I suppose there's that. (Maybe I was never meant to have much money.) 

I hope your two applications send you good news! 

42 minutes ago, Jacqui said:

I'm starting to see that there's little hope for me getting accepted anywhere, especially coming right from undergrad, so I wish I wouldn't have spent so much on application fees and waited until I had more "life experience" and more writing under my belt before applying to a bunch of places.

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I was warned of this too but I went ahead and spent a shit ton of money on applications anyway.

Edited by LordQuas

Ah. I'm new at this, so I didn't realize just how screwed I was until after application deadlines. I applied to only three schools (lol) for poetry: Vanderbilt, Iowa, and Boston University. Vanderbilt is 100% my first choice, but my chances are abysmal. I kind of just impulsively applied with z e r o publications (asides from an academic one from my undergrad degree) under my belt. I'm also an international applicant from the far, far away land of Canada, so I don't know if that negatively impacts my application. 

I saw that these universities have started notifying students. When do you think I could expect rejections? I'm so anxious.

Edited by tifff

Not to be a total downer, but has anyone else already began preparing their manuscript for next year? I have gotten nothing but rejections, and though I have a handful of schools left, I am not holding my breath. I think I have a better understanding of my voice now so I am looking forward to trying again!

Good luck, y'all! Things tend to work out, one way or another. 

Looks like Cornell has started the heartbreak.

I haven't even thought about next season yet. I'm considering going for my English MA if I don't make it this year. The school I'm considering has a creative writing focus, so it would do as a stop-gap for now, so I could still keep up with writing. I'm familiar with the fiction faculty there, and my skills under those professors have really made a huge difference in my understanding of the technical aspects of fiction writing. I wouldn't have even thought about trying for an MFA without their support. It would still suck a bit, but I don't think I could handle not having a distraction while I wait for the new season to start.

I had no idea there would be so much stress just waiting. If only I were the type of person who cleans to handle stress, then my home would be spotless.

Here's to getting rejected from Cornell and Wisc-Mad in one day, haha. 

Good luck to everyone still waiting on results! It's really not over until it's over.

And remember that you always, always have next year, if an MFA is something you're dead set on (-- I didn't get in anywhere the first time I applied (2016), but this time (2017)? I've received several fully funded offers)!

Does anyone know the deal with Vanderbilt? I know they have three spots for fiction (three? ...three? like, really...three? are you sure? THREE? three...) and I saw that someone reported a phone call acceptance. Now someone has reported an email telling them their place on the waitlist. Should we assume they're done with acceptances/waitlists?

I got waitlisted at Vanderbilt this morning. They told me my ranking on the wait list. I'm not feeling overly hopeful. 

I was waitlisted at University of Wisconsin last night, too. I'm just hoping that some miracle happens now. 

14 hours ago, tifff said:

Ah. I'm new at this, so I didn't realize just how screwed I was until after application deadlines. I applied to only three schools (lol) for poetry: Vanderbilt, Iowa, and Boston University. Vanderbilt is 100% my first choice, but my chances are abysmal. I kind of just impulsively applied with z e r o publications (asides from an academic one from my undergrad degree) under my belt. I'm also an international applicant from the far, far away land of Canada, so I don't know if that negatively impacts my application. 

I saw that these universities have started notifying students. When do you think I could expect rejections? I'm so anxious.

We're in the same boat ... Vandy's my first choice too (with no hope of getting in) and I only applied to 4 programs because I just decided to completely upend my life right around mid-November, and so my writing sample and personal stmt were basically garbage wearing perfume.

Waiting on my next 3 rejections atm :/