MPP/MPA 2011 Applicants

Hi guys, Would anyone know if HKS's deadline for Recommendation letters is much later than the deadline for the applications on Dec. 3? My recommenders seem to be taking their time!

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPP

Schools Applied To: HKS, WWS

Schools Admitted To:

Schools Rejected From:

Still Waiting:

Undergraduate institution: Non-US

Undergraduate GPA: We don't use GPA but very average

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable):

Undergraduate Major: Psychology

GRE Quantitative Score: Don't know yet but it won't be good

GRE Verbal Score: Don't know yet

GRE AW Score:

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 11

Years of Work Experience: 5

Describe Relevant Work Experience: I was a anti-corruption prosecutor for 4 years. Prior to that I was in the private law field.

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): My commitment to public service is quite clear, but I think my goals are not specific enough. Also I focused on my anti-corruption work which doesn't seem to fit any of the 2 school's specialties.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): As always, securing the LORs was the hardest part of my application. No matter how early I ask for them, they still wait for the last minute (hence my question above!). I would not say they are strong based on their profiles, but they are in a position to judge my capabilities well I think.

Other:

Good to see some action here. Here I go;

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MAID, MIA, MPP

Schools Applied To: Georgetown MSFS, JHU SAIS, Columbia SIPA, GWU Elliott, Pittsburgh GSPIA, Michigan Ford

Schools Admitted To:

Schools Rejected From:

Still Waiting:

Undergraduate institution: International

Undergraduate GPA: Not applicable, high for my own country, mediocre for US, I guess

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable): Substantially higher

Undergraduate Major: International Relations

GRE Quantitative Score: 4 days to go, Oh my!

GRE Verbal Score:

GRE AW Score:

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 5 (by now)

Years of Work Experience: 4,5

Describe Relevant Work Experience: I'm in the government sector, dealing with regional, multilateral and bilateral economic relations of my country, I'm also somewhat involved in development assistance provided by my country.

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): I think I have clearly shown the relevance of my professional and educational background to the programs, stated my future goals and how a degree will help me achieving them.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): I need some 17 LORs and most of my recommenders are not eager to write more than 3, writing LORs is not that common in my country. I'm still trying to close the gap, and keep the LORs as strong as possible. The process is not over yet.

Hi, there! Glad to meet you~

Program Applied To MPP

Schools Applied To: HKS MPP

Schools Admitted To:

Schools Rejected From:

Still Waiting:

Undergraduate institution: International

Undergraduate GPA: 3.24/4.0

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable): slightly higher

Undergraduate Major: Finance

GRE Quantitative Score:

GRE Verbal Score:

GRE AW Score:

GMAT: 750

T: 640

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 2 (by now)

Years of Work Experience: 4

Describe Relevant Work Experience: Strategic analyst and researcher in local government, resident community consultant, associate in small business promotion organization/many social activities, army reserve

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): I am en entrpreneur who would like to build a deeper interaction between public sector and private sector, promoting the local policies.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc):

Hi Guys,

Here is my profile.

Program Applying To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPP, MPA, MIB (Masters in International Business)

Schools Applying To: Sanford (MPP), SIPA (MPA), GPPI (MPP), Ford (MPP), Harris (MPP), Fletcher (MIB)

Schools Admitted To:

Schools Rejected From:

Still Waiting:

Undergraduate institution: One of best technical institutes of India

Undergraduate GPA: 7.76/10

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable): NA

Undergraduate Major: Mechanical Engineering

GRE Quantitative Score: 800 (Gave the GRE today)

GRE Verbal Score: 590 (Gave the GRE today)

GRE AW Score: ? (Awaited)

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 4 (by Fall 2011)

Years of Work Experience: 4 (by fall 2011)

Describe Relevant Work Experience: Have worked with NGOs working in the Himalayan region of India on projects related to agriculture, livelihood, appropriate technology.

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): Still working on it, but I think my strength comes from my solid work experience while working with the under-developed communities lying in the remote Himalayan mountains (to give you an idea, in villages lying as high as 15,000 ft above the sea level). My aim is to continue working for the region where there is a huge lag between appropriate policies and their implementation.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): Two professional, one from a professional services firm I was a part of immediately after graduation. Another one from the director of the NGO. One academic reco from a professor. I am not sure if he would be able to comment on a big way about me, but I am confident about the professional recos.

Other: I am having scruples regarding the schools I have selected. Any comments regarding these?

Good luck to everyone!

Program Applied To: MSW/MPP

Schools Applied To: Columbia, UChicago, USC, UCLA, U of Minnesota

Schools Admitted To:

Schools Rejected From:

Still Waiting:

Undergraduate institution: Macalester College

Undergraduate GPA: 3.51

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable):

Undergraduate Major: Sociology, Political Science

GRE Quantitative Score: 710

GRE Verbal Score: 670

GRE AW Score: 4.0 (not really sure how this happened...)

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 0

Years of Work Experience: 0

Describe Relevant Work Experience: internships with non-profits, volunteering with human services, community service, full-time summer job as college's Orientation Coordinator

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): I'm very specific about my career goals. I want my Public Policy degree to supplement my Social Work education. I want to be a social worker that focuses on the analysis and advocacy of policies directed towards LGBT individuals and families

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): profs and former employer know me very well and really like me. Excellent writers, probably will sound very legitimate and convincing

Other: my main concern is that coming straight from undergrad will hurt my chances of getting in. my top choice is UChicago Harris School of Public Policy.

Hey! Finally finished with applications, thought I would see what's happening on here - yeahgradschool! thanks for starting this thread!

Program Applied To: MPP/MPA/MGA

Schools Applied To: HKS, Duke, Johns Hopkins, Wagner, UNC, USC, Fels

Schools Admitted To:

Schools Rejected From:

Still Waiting:

Undergraduate institution: Large Canadian public

Undergraduate GPA: 3.18

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable): 3.4

Undergraduate Major: Honors BA in Western Religious Theory

GRE Quantitative Score: 780

GRE Verbal Score: 660

GRE AW Score: 5.0

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): As of Fall 2011, 3.5

Years of Work Experience: 3.5

Describe Relevant Work Experience: Have worked with the same education-based nonprofit since graduating, promoted after first year to more people, service, and relationship management responsibility; directly relevant to why I'm applying to these schools

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): It's pretty good, in that I know exactly what I want to do and have work experience in the field - K-12 ed reform

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): I have no idea how they turned out. In terms of confidence, I feel like I'm at a 6/10.

Other: Pretty much my GPA screws me. I took a stats class this semester through UCSD and got an A, but I don't know if that will even mean anything or if I just made my life more hectic for fun. I'm hoping my dedication to the world of education/public service and GRE scores will help me out.

Hey all! I'm definitely feeling the stress right now. Are applications really due in just a couple weeks?! *sigh*

Program Applied To: MPA

Schools Applied To: Wagner, Evans, American, George Washington

Schools Admitted To:

Schools Rejected From:

Still Waiting: All

Undergraduate institution: University of Washington

Undergraduate GPA: 3.86

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable): 3.9?

Undergraduate Major: International Studies

GRE Quantitative Score: 720

GRE Verbal Score: 630

GRE AW Score: 4 (have no idea what went wrong :( )

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): almost 3

Years of Work Experience: 2

Describe Relevant Work Experience: I was an AmeriCorps VISTA at a refugee resettlement agency and now work for a nonprofit providing academic support to low-income refugee and immigrant children.

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): NOTHING! It's downright terrible right now :(

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): I am glad I asked 2 of my professors to write my letters 3 years ago. My school has a letter of evaluation service and they just sent the letters back to my professors to update them so it was really a piece of cake and they are both still great friends of mine so they should be good letters. Also, I got a letter from my current supervisor which is ok, but she hasn't known me for too long.

Other:

Hi all

I am applying to WWS and Fletcher for fall 2011 but I am really worried about my GRE score. I scored 1180 (Q: 690, V: 490). to make matters worse, my awa score is 3.5. my toefl score is 100, i got 27 in writing and 29 in reading..dont know how i got 20 in the listening section that brought the score down ..I didnt study much and now i am really upset about it..

I have an unsual profile and i think i would have been a strong candidate but my gre score is killing me. WWS deadline is over and am not sure whether they would accept a new score (IF i retake GRE)

I am a journalist planning to switch over to public policy. I would request you all to suggest what should i do..Am i worrying too much or princeton wws has gone out of my hand...

thanks in advance...

Edited by just4u1530

Happy to see some action around here! My first deadline (USC!) is coming up tomorrow. Question: Does a December 15th deadline mean before 5pm or before midnight? I ask because one of my recommenders has yet to submit her letter (though she ensures me she will have it in on time, sigh). I finished all of my applications in plenty of time and it’s so frustrating to just have to hold my breath on this and hope it turns out okay. I just sent her an email offering to write up a draft letter today ha! I’m hoping she has already written it and is just delaying on submitting it to ensure that it makes me shine so brightly that the adcomm will have no other choice but to accept me!

Happy to see some action around here! My first deadline (USC!) is coming up tomorrow. Question: Does a December 15th deadline mean before 5pm or before midnight? I ask because one of my recommenders has yet to submit her letter (though she ensures me she will have it in on time, sigh). I finished all of my applications in plenty of time and it’s so frustrating to just have to hold my breath on this and hope it turns out okay. I just sent her an email offering to write up a draft letter today ha! I’m hoping she has already written it and is just delaying on submitting it to ensure that it makes me shine so brightly that the adcomm will have no other choice but to accept me!

It definitely means midnight.

Thanks!! I wondered because Duke says their deadline is Jan. 5 by 5pm EST. Fortunately, I just received a response from her saying she'd have it in by tonight or early tomorrow at the latest so hopefully I won't be counting down the minutes to midnight tomorrow.

Edited by yeahgradschool!

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPP, MA, MEM

Schools Applied To: UC Berkeley Goldman School (MPP), HKS (MPP), YALE FES (MEM), Stanford IPS (MA), Fletcher (MALD) – accepted (early admissions, no funding offer yet, Duke (MEM), SAIS ERE (MA), maybe Georgetown (MSFS)

Schools Admitted To: Fletcher

Schools Rejected From: none yet

Still Waiting: UCB Goldman School, HKS, YALE FES, Stanford IPS, Duke, SAIS ERE, Georgetown

Undergraduate institution: German University (first 2 years), CA State School (last 2 years)

Undergraduate GPA: 3.95

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable): 3.95

Undergraduate Major: International Relations

GRE Quantitative Score: 740

GRE Verbal Score: 500

GRE AW Score: 4.5

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 3

Years of Work Experience: 6 years full time (2 in Germany, 4 in the U.S.), 5 years part time during school

Describe Relevant Work Experience: corporate marketing, consulting, translation

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): I spent hours (literally at least a hundred hours) revising my statement and customizing it to each program, my earlier statements could have been better if I did not submit them so early (I just wanted them out of the way)

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): I only got to read one of them, which was very nice and flattering. Not sure about the two academic statements, but I’d assume they are good since both profs were impressed with my academic performance

Question: Did anyone hear from Fletcher AND their financial decisions? Seems like those go out separately and I was wondering when to expect the scholarship distribution.

Edited by compost&recycle

Anyone applying to USC should make sure they get their application submitted before the December 15th deadline because otherwise you won't be considered for funding. Reading through some of the older threads on this forum its pretty clear that USC is very generous with funding with some applicants getting half or even full-tuition in some cases. Make sure you don't miss out on that opportunity.

Before I share my statistics, can anyone share insight into whether lack of directly relevant work experience is a deal breaker? I have spent four years in banking, specifically in large loan underwriting and strategic analytics. I have no experience in the public or non-profit sectors, though I desperately want to gain that experience with the help of an MPP.

Schools Applied To: Georgetown, GW, UMD, American, UVA

Schools Admitted To: None yet

Schools Rejected From: None yet

Still Waiting: all of the above

Undergraduate institution: Top 25 US University

Undergraduate GPA: 3.50

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable): 3.7???

Undergraduate Major: Foreign Affairs and Business

GRE Quantitative Score: 770

GRE Verbal Score: 740

GRE AW Score: None yet

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 4

Years of Work Experience: 4 years in banking, 2 years in large loan underwriting and 2 years in strategic analytics

Describe Relevant Work Experience: intensive quantitative analysis experience, including valuations modeling

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): I am very concerned with my lack of direct experience. I can speak to my passion, only through community service and educational experience.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): Strong, but all three from current or former bank colleagues.

Before I share my statistics, can anyone share insight into whether lack of directly relevant work experience is a deal breaker? I have spent four years in banking, specifically in large loan underwriting and strategic analytics. I have no experience in the public or non-profit sectors, though I desperately want to gain that experience with the help of an MPP.

Years of Work Experience: 4 years in banking, 2 years in large loan underwriting and 2 years in strategic analytics

Describe Relevant Work Experience: intensive quantitative analysis experience, including valuations modeling

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): I am very concerned with my lack of direct experience. I can speak to my passion, only through community service and educational experience.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): Strong, but all three from current or former bank colleagues.

This is not worth stressing about. Schools are seeking people from all kinds of different backgrounds.

I'm sure you'll be fine with the list of schools you applied to. A significant amount of NGO and public affairs work involves banking. If I were you, I would turn that experience into a strength and talk about how it makes you a better candidate. That is, of course, unless all your statements are done.

Have you already submitted all of your apps? If not, I would strongly suggest you try and reach out to a former professor for one of your recs. Were the bank colleagues at least all supervisors of yours? Do you think they have substantially varying things to comment on about your work? I agree with Ahab; The banking experience is a definite strength. I worked for Morgan Stanley for 2 1/2 years and though I didn't focus on it in my personal statement, I made it clear that I was a more well-rounded candidate because of my time spent there (i.e. because of the quant skills you mentioned above). Focus on the passion you speak of but don't downplay your work over the past 4 years. That work will be the reason they accept you, not the reason they reject you. You just need to figure out how to tie it all together. Good luck!

P.S. Have you thought about applying to Johns Hopkins? They would drool over your quant background!

Edited by yeahgradschool!

Newbielookingfroadvice, i agree with yeahgradschool and ahab. your banking experience is a big asset that will certainly be in your favor. I worked in marketing and media planning before, which has little to nothing to do with my grad school degree. I spoke to deans and admissions about that and they said it's not a bad thing at all, quite the opposite. I actually think that that's what grad school is often about. Many opt for grad school to change careers and that is what makes the classroom so diverse and more rounded. I hope you still have time to adjust your statements so that you can more proudly speak about your experience. After all, you are getting the MPP in order to get into the non-profit environment (if I read your stats right). If you already had that experience the MPP wouldn't make sense. Good Luck! I am sure you will get accepted to most of not all the schools you selected. BTW, Georgetown MPP has an online chat starting in 20 minutes.

Does anybody know when Fletchers scholarship/fin aid info comes out for EN acceptees?

Newbielookingfroadvice, i agree with yeahgradschool and ahab. your banking experience is a big asset that will certainly be in your favor. I worked in marketing and media planning before, which has little to nothing to do with my grad school degree. I spoke to deans and admissions about that and they said it's not a bad thing at all, quite the opposite. I actually think that that's what grad school is often about. Many opt for grad school to change careers and that is what makes the classroom so diverse and more rounded. I hope you still have time to adjust your statements so that you can more proudly speak about your experience. After all, you are getting the MPP in order to get into the non-profit environment (if I read your stats right). If you already had that experience the MPP wouldn't make sense. Good Luck! I am sure you will get accepted to most of not all the schools you selected. BTW, Georgetown MPP has an online chat starting in 20 minutes.

Program Applied To(MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPP and some MPA

Schools Applied To: U Chicago Harris, U Michigan Ford, IU SPEA, Carnegie Mellon Heinz, GWU Trachtenberg, NYU Wagner, American SPA

Undergraduate institution: Jesuit University in Midwest

Undergraduate GPA: 3.65

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable): 3.75

Undergraduate Major: Political Science

GRE Quantitative Score: 780 (89%)

GRE Verbal Score: 570 (80%) - this may be the lowest I've seen on these boards this year, I'm hoping my Quant and AW scores will help offset this a little?

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 2

Describe Relevant Work Experience: 2 years Americorps and very recently began working in a low-level position at a nonprofit related to the field I want to study

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): I think it's strong. My passion about the field is clear, I think I have some trouble distinguishing why I want to study at particular schools/programs

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): My recommendations from supervisors will be strong. I worry that my academic recommendations wont be stellar only b/c I didn't form relationships with professors during undergrad. My recommenders don't know me very well aside from reading my Statement and knowing I did well in their classes.

I'm also concerned b/c I have practically no Quant bakground. I took a Stats class as a freshman and did very well but never took any other math or econ b/c it wasn't required. I did okay on Quant GRE, but I doubt that will be enough to make up for my lack of coursework.

Edited by jb08

Program Applied To(MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPP and MPA

Schools Applied To: Berkeley's Goldman School of Public Policy, HKS, NYU Wagner, Columbia's SIPA

Undergraduate institution: Top ten LAC in Midwest

Undergraduate GPA: 3.85

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable): 3.85 ?

Undergraduate Major: English and Spanish literature

GRE Quantitative Score: 700 (70%)

GRE Verbal Score: 750 (99%)

GRE AW Score: 5.5 (94%)

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 5 by next September

Years of Work Experience: 5 years by next September (4 years of relevant experience)

Describe Relevant Work Experience: 1 year as an editorial assistant at a small magazine (unrelated to policy), 1 year teaching English in Spain, 1 year grant writing and 2 years case management working with homeless clients and helping them access food stamps and other benefits (which is what I want to study)

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): I hope it's strong. I have a clear area of interest and a lot of knowledge about it from the direct service work I do now. I hope to study domestic social welfare policy and end up working for a city human services agency.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc):

2 academic references and 1 from my current supervisor. I know the academic ones are strong, but they are from an English and Spanish professor so I'm not sure how useful they will be to the admissions committee. My supervisor's is strong (I saw it) but is kind of brief...I don't think she has much experience writing these types of letters. I worry a little about using 2 academic references when I'm 5 years out of school. However, I'm still in touch with these professors and not really with the teachers I worked with in Spain or other people who might have been options. I noticed that HKS specifically asks for 2 work LOR and 1 academic one for someone with my length of work experience. I'm hoping this doesn't mean I won't be considered.

My other major worry is my quant background. My quant GRE score is not great, and I only took stats in college. I did do well in that class. I just finished up macroeconomics at a community college (and got an A) and am registered for microeconomics for the spring. I'm hoping showing this initiative will help, but I know this may keep me out. If that happens I can apply again next year with the actual grades from these classes under my belt (and maybe try to take the GRE again or enroll in calculus as well).

Good luck to everyone!

jb08, not sure if it makes you feel better, but my verbal GRE score is way below yours (500). Granted, I am not a native English speaker but 570 is not all that bad.

With a 5.0 AWA score I would not worry too much. For MPP/MPA programs, the quantitative score is more important anyway. Plus, the admissions committee will see your writing skills in the personal statement, so as long as you express yourself clearly, you should be just fine.

I was curious why you did not apply to GSPP. No interest in the West Coast or is it program related?

Best of luck to you!

Program Applied To(MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPP and some MPA

Schools Applied To: U Chicago Harris, U Michigan Ford, IU SPEA, Carnegie Mellon Heinz, GWU Trachtenberg, NYU Wagner, American SPA

Undergraduate institution: Jesuit University in Midwest

Undergraduate GPA: 3.65

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable): 3.75

Undergraduate Major: Political Science

GRE Quantitative Score: 780 (89%)

GRE Verbal Score: 570 (80%) - this may be the lowest I've seen on these boards this year, I'm hoping my Quant and AW scores will help offset this a little?

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 2

Describe Relevant Work Experience: 2 years Americorps and very recently began working in a low-level position at a nonprofit related to the field I want to study

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): I think it's strong. My passion about the field is clear, I think I have some trouble distinguishing why I want to study at particular schools/programs

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): My recommendations from supervisors will be strong. I worry that my academic recommendations wont be stellar only b/c I didn't form relationships with professors during undergrad. My recommenders don't know me very well aside from reading my Statement and knowing I did well in their classes.

I'm also concerned b/c I have practically no Quant bakground. I took a Stats class as a freshman and did very well but never took any other math or econ b/c it wasn't required. I did okay on Quant GRE, but I doubt that will be enough to make up for my lack of coursework.