SIPA (Columbia) Thread

Well it's nearing 5 PM here in New York. Guess we'll be waiting til Monday at least...

I was quite optimistic that we would hear before week-end but you seem right, Clemons won't knock our door today.

Hey there!

I have been reading this thread from and realize that I am not the only one dying to get decisions.

here is my question: how does sipa look to military service abroad? I served - as an European - in an elite unit of the israeli military (combat), and worked for some years at an advocacy group (IR) in the hague. I also studies a while in Egypt (Arabic).. Is that what you would call a hook?

My GRE wasn't that great Q 680 V 510 AW 3.5, but I am not a native english speaker (for what it matters). My Toefl was 115.

I know we will all hear very soon .. but since it won't be until monday, I hoped you could share your thoughts with me ;)

Thank you

For me, when I log into the "applyyourself" application system, it lists all of my materials as received under "Application Status:" on the front page, and right under that, there should be a "Decision Status:", which, for me, is followed immediately by "Available beginning 3/4/2010" followed on the next line by a link that reads "Your application decision is now available online".

Also regarding why you don't have problems accessing the application interface, I'm assuming that MPA-MDPs might not necessarily hear back at the same time as MIAs and regular MPAs. Either that, or you're being considered for fellowships (though I don't want to get your hopes up prematurely).

another pleasant day of waiting... has anyone heard?

Edited by beaverish

I'm under the impression admissions will post something on the blog about decisions going out before they start notifying - or maybe the same day they start notifications.

Oh the suspense!

Hey there!

I have been reading this thread from and realize that I am not the only one dying to get decisions.

here is my question: how does sipa look to military service abroad? I served - as an European - in an elite unit of the israeli military (combat), and worked for some years at an advocacy group (IR) in the hague. I also studies a while in Egypt (Arabic).. Is that what you would call a hook?

My GRE wasn't that great Q 680 V 510 AW 3.5, but I am not a native english speaker (for what it matters). My Toefl was 115.

I know we will all hear very soon .. but since it won't be until monday, I hoped you could share your thoughts with me ;)

Thank you

I think your non-academic credentials are very strong. You have clear IR experience, and military experience is a plus. It's hard to assess your overall candidacy, though, without your academic experience; with a strong econ/quant background, I'd say you stand a very strong chance of getting in.

Despite the temptation, not going to pull another practical joke here. :D

I doubt that you'll be waiting much longer, though.

Well SIPA's admissions blog hasn't been updated yet today...which means....probably nothing. But maybe something!

As I've mentioned, looking back at last year's blog entries, they mentioned that they'd sent out the first wave of admissions decisions after the fact... so this silence could indicate that they're too busy sending out decisions to update the blog!

Well SIPA's admissions blog hasn't been updated yet today...which means....probably nothing. But maybe something!

It means that Clemons has not waken up yet :) I think/hope the blog will be the first to tell, no surprises please!

Well - I hope it means that!

Good to know I'm not the only one keeping watch on the admissions blog! We've just finished two 3 part series, so I've been wondering if that means we're gearing up for the big announcement today?

But still not change in the applyyourself interface for me.

Actually I take back what I said earlier. Last year there was a blog post the day after they started releasing decisions - so maybe the blog isn't the best place to go for the most up to date info.

I really need to get some real work done.

I'm glad I'm not the only one for whom patience is not the biggest virtue.... :)

I keep checking both "apply yourself" and SIPA Admissions Blog (just in case) but no change either. Honestly, I doubt there will be any movement today... My sense is that they are gearing up to kick-off decisions tomorrow but today is a day of preparations for them. I hope I'm wrong though.

Hi,

Does anyone know exactly WHERE we will see the decision? I keep hearing from the blog and everything that an email will be sent telling us to log into the website. Ive already been obsessively logging into the website and I cant figure out where I would view the decision - is it in the inbox?

I suppose I could just wait for the email but the waiting is already distracting me enough from my work :).

Thank you!

Hi,

Does anyone know exactly WHERE we will see the decision? I keep hearing from the blog and everything that an email will be sent telling us to log into the website. Ive already been obsessively logging into the website and I cant figure out where I would view the decision - is it in the inbox?

I suppose I could just wait for the email but the waiting is already distracting me enough from my work :).

Thank you!

Probably the Apply Yourself website - the same site you submitted your application through.

[DEFERRED APPLICANT] Rumblings from the admissions office!

I included the above tag to make sure that people don't have heart attacks. I got in for Fall 2010 and deferred, so this message does not mean that they've begun releasing decisions.

BUT!

I just got an email from Matt Clemons (seemingly to all admits that deferred last year), informing me that they've launched the welcome page. I'm pretty sure that this means that they're getting ready to release decisions in the near future!

[update: note that this probably means that they'll probably only get out the first of several batches tomorrow, which was 40% of the decisions last year.]

Edited by greendiplomat

have been taking walks in my ten foot wide room :( refreshing my gmail every 2 seconds,

Oh no! Didn't mean to make people anxious!

I've updated my post to indicate that, since it's past 5pm here, it won't likely be until tomorrow, and that historically, the first wave only consisted of around 40% of decisions.

Edited by greendiplomat

BLOG UPDATE

They are going to start releasing tonight after all!

I am happy to share that the Committee has finalized decisions for approximately 65% of those in the applicant pool.

Decisions for this group will be posted between 6:00 PM and 7:00 PM today (New York City Time) – March 7th.

deep breathes everyone!