USC

Devyn

Could I ask a pretty general question to everyone? The price tag per year for USC is over $41k. I spoke to the financial aid director yesterday and he was saying they don't offer fellowships/assistantships and that the only way to really fund the education was through loans. Can anyone dispute this information? Is everyone basically planning to be over $82k after two years at USC? This is extremely daunting to me and I would really appreciate advice on how to bring that price tag down!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could I ask a pretty general question to everyone? The price tag per year for USC is over $41k. I spoke to the financial aid director yesterday and he was saying they don't offer fellowships/assistantships and that the only way to really fund the education was through loans. Can anyone dispute this information? Is everyone basically planning to be over $82k after two years at USC? This is extremely daunting to me and I would really appreciate advice on how to bring that price tag down!

You also have the option of applying for scholarships and stipend programs. Otherwise loans may be your only option.

Erin! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! I hear the FinAid packets will be sent in May.... I had a very long conversation with the FinAid office... if you have any question, PM ME! Also, There are alot of scholarships and stipend that are upwards of 15K per year.... they offer Work study which is 6 1/2k and perkins loans! again PM me if your lost...

Shanika! I applied the same time and was notified that my app was under review, therefore I think I will find out in a week or two! Your app should be following suit, if it makes you feel any better!

I should be hearing soon! I AM SOO NERVOUS! I hope everything goes well! On a different note, I was contacted by Cal State Fullerton that I have a phone interview next week! Its soo nice to finally be hearing back!

<3 D

dubi, were you accepted? also! Where are you checking your status??? I would love to check that EVERYDAY in anticipation...hahahha Ya, I don't think I should call Amber because it just stated that my application was complete... so there weren't any problems... Therefore I would just be annoying her. Also, we are supposed to hear by April! sooooo 2-6 weeks..... right-is this the time frame everyone has?

-d

Did you hear back yet? I applied in December and got an admittance letter last Saturday! I was extremely relieved! I'm still waiting to hear from UCLA.

Anyone heard anything?

I finally got my acceptance letter from USC on Tuesday. I officially accepted UCLA's offer yesterday when I found out that we wouldnt get a finaid package from USC until after we had accepted, paid a deposit and waited until May. Financial aid is a huge factor in deciding where to go, it is strange that they do it like this. Within a week of being accepted to UCLA they sent me a statement telling me my tuition, cost of living, what loans i got and that i was eligible for work study.

Just a heads up, guys: I've been in touch with a handful of professors and students, and of course, the financial aid and admissions departments of USC...it seems very, very widely known that the lack of funds offered to its students is by far the worst quality of the department. I paid a visit to campus yesterday, sat in on another class (sat in one last September), met with and spoke to a great deal of students and spoke with admissions and various dept. directors, and while I had a really wonderful experience again (last time I visited and spoke with faculty and students, I fell in love) it is a very realistic fact that almost everyone in the program is facing a large amount of debt after graduation. Admissions addressed it, students DEFINITELY addressed it, and the professors I have spoken with have told me the same thing: be realistic about entering this program. Enter it only if you can come to terms with the fact that you will be in X amount of debt for many years. Out of all the students I spoke with, each one had nothing but rave reviews as far as the education goes. The electives, the professors, the student life (caucuses, events, seminars, social gatherings, sense of community) is superior to other schools, and a clinical professor I spoke with who actually received his MSW from UCLA said the program was likely the best and most well-rounded in the state. Students say the debt is worth the experience, but each warned that entering the program and that much debt is something each individual has to come to terms with on his/her own.

It's likely I'll go here, but I've really had to grapple hard with the idea of so much debt...and after correspondence with a USC professor, I arrived at the notion that I will be pursuing a PhD afterward and teaching at the university level. It's definitely good to have a plan, you know? And I have to say...every time I visit campus I immediately feel welcome, comfortable and engage myself easily in 5-10 conversations with students, faculty and staff. The students have always been the most down-to-earth, engaging individuals. I genuinely love this program and I think that's what makes it easy for me to enter it.

Just a heads up, guys: I've been in touch with a handful of professors and students, and of course, the financial aid and admissions departments of USC...it seems very, very widely known that the lack of funds offered to its students is by far the worst quality of the department. I paid a visit to campus yesterday, sat in on another class (sat in one last September), met with and spoke to a great deal of students and spoke with admissions and various dept. directors, and while I had a really wonderful experience again (last time I visited and spoke with faculty and students, I fell in love) it is a very realistic fact that almost everyone in the program is facing a large amount of debt after graduation. Admissions addressed it, students DEFINITELY addressed it, and the professors I have spoken with have told me the same thing: be realistic about entering this program. Enter it only if you can come to terms with the fact that you will be in X amount of debt for many years. Out of all the students I spoke with, each one had nothing but rave reviews as far as the education goes. The electives, the professors, the student life (caucuses, events, seminars, social gatherings, sense of community) is superior to other schools, and a clinical professor I spoke with who actually received his MSW from UCLA said the program was likely the best and most well-rounded in the state. Students say the debt is worth the experience, but each warned that entering the program and that much debt is something each individual has to come to terms with on his/her own.

It's likely I'll go here, but I've really had to grapple hard with the idea of so much debt...and after correspondence with a USC professor, I arrived at the notion that I will be pursuing a PhD afterward and teaching at the university level. It's definitely good to have a plan, you know? And I have to say...every time I visit campus I immediately feel welcome, comfortable and engage myself easily in 5-10 conversations with students, faculty and staff. The students have always been the most down-to-earth, engaging individuals. I genuinely love this program and I think that's what makes it easy for me to enter it.

Thanks for the input!!! And Congrats again on your acceptance!

hi! i just joined - heard that i was accepted to USC today! ... i got accepted to the e3 yr program but last week i contacted them about switching to full time - haven't heard back about that so i'm not sure if it'll work! just wanted to say hi and give hope to everyone still waiting - i thought i was going to go crazy waiting to hear!!!!!!!!!!

hi! i just joined - heard that i was accepted to USC today! ... i got accepted to the e3 yr program but last week i contacted them about switching to full time - haven't heard back about that so i'm not sure if it'll work! just wanted to say hi and give hope to

everyone still waiting - i thought i was going to go crazy waiting to hear!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats, when did you send in your app....and when did you receive an email that you app was complete? If you don't mind me asking.

thanks! my application was completed in december, i received an email saying that my application was complete & in review on march 18.

Yesterday I received my big packet from USC. I'm in! No word on financial aid info. and they want a decision by april 8th :(. The letter was dated March 29 and my application went complete for the Jan. 15th deadline. I really hadn't received much communication from USC up until now and I had to call numerous times just to confirm they received my transcripts and other info back in early February. So try not to fret, if you haven't heard anything yet!

Good luck everyone!

Hi everyone,

I had a phone interview this morning and the interviewer told me that I will be informed the final decision in a week.

Good luck to everyone who is also stuck in the waiting process.

Received a letter today, I was put on the alternate list, and I don't know how I feel about it yet.

You should feel GREAT!!! At least they are saying they want to accept you, it is only a matter of space availability... My guess is that you will be admitted once they review all appilcations and people who were accepted reject their offer for other schools....It beats a rejection!!!!

When did you submit your application and when did you receieve an email from Amber stating your application was complete?

You should feel GREAT!!! At least they are saying they want to accept you, it is only a matter of space availability... My guess is that you will be admitted once they review all appilcations and people who were accepted reject their offer for other schools....It beats a rejection!!!!

When did you submit your application and when did you receieve an email from Amber stating your application was complete?

My application was considered complete on Jan. 18th and I received an email from Amber on March 23rd and received my letter last Saturday and it was dated March 31st.

Soooo, I am starting to worry, I completed my app on Jan 11th. It was under review on March 18th. Still no word..... and everyone seems to have already received something. When should I start panicking.....

:blink:

Soooo, I am starting to worry, I completed my app on Jan 11th. It was under review on March 18th. Still no word..... and everyone seems to have already received something. When should I start panicking.....

:blink:

I'm kind of in the same postion. I had submitted my application on 1/13, but apparently there was an issue with my transcripts. I had proof that they had been sent well before the deadline, so they're still considering my application complete by 1/15. Even though I technically made the deadline, my transcripts weren't in the office until March 2, so I don't think they started looking at my app until then! I'm not sure when I'll be hearing back :huh: However, I haven't recieved a rejection letter, so I'll stay optimistic until then!