Just got a job offer. Should I tell potential employer I plan on going to grad school in fall?

winniemn

I have been accepted into grad school for Fall '12 entry and plan to go. For the past several months, I have also been applying to jobs because I am currently unemployed. I just received a job offer today for my first "real job." As of now, I would only be able to work at this job full time for 5 months, and then I would have to go down to part time once school begins.

Should I tell my potential employer that I am going to grad school in the fall and would love to accept the position if I could work part time in the fall? Or should I accept the position without saying anything about grad school and wait until after I start the job? If the job offer is retracted, I am going to miss out on great job experience and money that could really help pay for school. If I don't say anything about school and take the job, I will get the great experience and pay, but I may burn bridges once August rolls around.

Help!

I'm no expert, but I would recommend not telling the employer until later. If you tell them now, they may look for a candidate that will be able to maintain a full time status. If you tell the later on, you have the opportunity to make yourself an asset to the company and, thus, make the company more willing to accommodate your changing schedule. If later on they still will not accommodate your shifting schedule, at least you have "real" job experience that would make you more hirable at another company.

It depends on what kind of work you're doing. If you need extensive training, which is likely for a "real job", you should be prepared for the consequences of burning that bridge for good. If it is the kind of job with a high turnover with minimal training, it's not as much of an issue.

I was/am in a similar situation, and I agree with the previous posters' advice. I wouldn't tell them about grad school. Most places want you to stick around and won't want to hire you if they know you'll leave or at least work at part-time in the future. Things are always uncertain anyway, so you can just frame it as you just found out you were accepted/decided to accept an offer you got when you tell them you would be leaving. Good luck!

If this is a 'real job' as you put it, then it probably requires training and the company is investing a lot of money into selection and recruiting for the position. If it is a high turnover position it's not a problem but otherwise to not tell them you would be leaving is dishonorable in my opinion. Be prepared to burn that bridge as well as others in the field. A lot of planning and time is involved in the selection process and many companies spend thousands of dollars finding the right candidate, and then when you quit, the company will lose twice the amount of time and money.

I told my employer and they suggested that I give notice. Just keep in mind that they will probably not want you to work for them once they know. I wanted to do the honest thing and I don't regret my decision, but do realize that your employer owes you no allegiance. Good luck! :-D

Just tell them that you may go for a phd/MS in future. Similar stuff happened with me twice, but I was already working at that time. In fact, my bosses at these places offered to write a reference letter for me (I accepted their offer :)).