[FIXED] What area of research is your focus/did you apply for?

Pauli

[FIXED] Research Interests  

57 members have voted

1. 1. [FIXED] What are of research did you state interest in on your applications?

• Algorithms and Theory
    • Programming Languages and Compilers
    • Concurrent, Distributed and Parallel Computing
    • Software Engineering
    • Operating Systems, Storage Systems and Middleware
    • Computer Architecture
    • Computer Networking and Networked Systems
    • Computer Security, Privacy, and Cryptography
    • Databases, Information Systems, Information Retrieval, Data Mining, and World Wide Web
    • Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, and Robotics
    • Computer Graphics, Image Processing, and Multimedia
    • Human–Computer Interaction and User Interfaces
    • Computational Biology and Bioinformatics
    • Computer Science Education and Electronic Learning

I have no qualms with saying that the original poll was very flawed: it wasn't exhaustive and repeated certain fields by listing their different subfields.  This poll is more exhaustive and more accurate to give us a better feel of people's demographics in this subforum.

• 6 months later...

There are too many people in AI, ML, Robotics. Does this mean that there are also more professors working on those areas too?

Usually, no. For sure not at the proportion of the people applying. Departments usually want to keep a balanced faculty across a wide range of interests,

God, how I wish i was given a chance for ML research ... now my time is pointlessly spent as a standard enterprise developer.

Edited by hvasilev

• 4 weeks later...

I am applying for Networks/Systems. Wonder why there are so few people doing the same. In my opinion video streaming is a field that will expand rapidly in the near future. There is 3D and Ultra-HD videos that demand more bandwidth. And many different solutions: p2p streaming, MPEG-DASH etc.

However I am also interested in networking middleware for distributed systems. You added "middleware" as a different category, but i think it belongs to networking :)

Still, I am looking for suggestions where to apply. Any help is welcome. Currently I have a professors at UNC, UIUC and Cornell I am very interested in. Those schools are very competitive so I am searching for alternatives...

Edited by GermanStudent

I am applying for Networks/Systems. Wonder why there are so few people doing the same. In my opinion video streaming is a field that will expand rapidly in the near future.

Because it's not a sexy-sounding field.  People often migrate to sexier disciplines like AI, HCI, graphics, robotics, etc.

So I guess applying to AI, HCI etc is much more competitive than other fields?

It really depends on the department.  The competitiveness may be more balanced by factors such as departments having more faculty for larger disciplines and the greater number of conferences and journals associated with those disciplines.