i suck

powerlifterty16

it got me a 3.64 gpa, so I'll stick with it.

distractions in the real world or the library are one thing, but if i'm paying money, and investing time into a test that is paramount to my future, and I'm also driving 40 minutes to take it at a PROFESSIONAL testing center, you better believe I will complain when shit like this happens.

Right.  It's so great that you got a good GPA in your undergrad without cracking a book.  It'll probably be the exact experience when you get to grad school!  You'll be just fine!  And nobody will ever scorn you for your actual lack of knowledge!  ;)

Look.  We have all, yourself included, become quite aware of the scamming inherent to registering for the GRE, and the giant bureaucratic element of it that doesn't FOR SURE-OR-ACTUALLY determine whether we're apt to study at a graduate level or whathaveyou.  And you drove 40 miles?  What do you do if your home state is 100,000 square miles and you're in the middle of nowhere, and you drive FIVE hours to the test with similar conditions?  Well, you want it so bad that you just do it.  And you study enough to not blame the proctor for your own mistakes, even if there is a distracting element.  Shit happens.

Your overriding concern with this test, pointless energy inflicted on a random incident, and this lack concerning your actual study habits and attitude, I think, is pretty indicative that... 

I drove 40 mins not miles. I wouldnt say i lack knowledge, and if iwere able to get through the program without spending every day slaving for 15 hours in the library, as long as  i scored well i would say i hopefully had good knowledge...but idk im not a grad student.

scarf in the wind, thanks for the long post, and im glad everything worked out for you ;)

Self deprecation. I have a knack for it, and you're welcome.

Right.  It's so great that you got a good GPA in your undergrad without cracking a book.  It'll probably be the exact experience when you get to grad school!  You'll be just fine!  And nobody will ever scorn you for your actual lack of knowledge!  ;)

Look.  We have all, yourself included, become quite aware of the scamming inherent to registering for the GRE, and the giant bureaucratic element of it that doesn't FOR SURE-OR-ACTUALLY determine whether we're apt to study at a graduate level or whathaveyou.  And you drove 40 miles?  What do you do if your home state is 100,000 square miles and you're in the middle of nowhere, and you drive FIVE hours to the test with similar conditions?  Well, you want it so bad that you just do it.  And you study enough to not blame the proctor for your own mistakes, even if there is a distracting element.  Shit happens.

Your overriding concern with this test, pointless energy inflicted on a random incident, and this lack concerning your actual study habits and attitude, I think, is pretty indicative that... 

Bold text # 1: Speaking from experience?

Bold text #2: "that"...? "Pretty indicative that"...?

Bold text #2: "pointless energy inflicted on a random incident..." repentwalpurgis, I know where you're coming from and understand, however, in powerliftery16's defense, he has written above that he is suffering from a cold that has deterred any plans for studying once again for the test.

I drove 40 mins not miles. I wouldnt say i lack knowledge, and if iwere able to get through the program without spending every day slaving for 15 hours in the library, as long as  i scored well i would say i hopefully had good knowledge...but idk im not a grad student.

Sometimes, as repentwalpurgis wrote, you have to do what's necessary. That doesn't mean you must devote hundreds and hundreds of hours to studying. You have to figure out how well you know the topics you're being tested on and schedule your studying time accordingly. Some argue people shouldn't devote hundreds and hundreds of hours to studying because nothing enters the brain and it can't stop to rest and process the information it received. That was my error. I studied too hard for far too long, day by day I would study for over 8 hours a day and I got burnt out and discouraged many times. I had come to hate the test, hate math, and hate the sight of flashcards. Mind you, I did this for months, not for half a month or 1 month but many months. Now, imagine studying in that fashion for a year. Imagine how discouraged and angry I got by the sight of math problems. To make things worse, I was unemployed and hated myself and my life, and the only prospect was entering graduate school. And, day by day, that prospect was fading away as I performed poorly on practice problems and practice tests. Yes, it worked out in the end, but I had to expend many resources to make it happen.

Self deprecation. I have a knack for it, and you're welcome.

Bold text # 1: Speaking from experience?

Bold text #2: "that"...? "Pretty indicative that"...?

Bold text #2: "pointless energy inflicted on a random incident..." repentwalpurgis, I know where you're coming from and understand, however, in powerliftery16's defense, he has written above that he is suffering from a cold that has deterred any plans for studying once again for the test.

I'm done responding to this thread because OP just seems absurd, and probably is just messing around, honestly.  I can't even take this seriously anymore.  Ultimately, I was just trying to help, even if I got a little snarky.  I'm sure there will be people who will be much more straightforward than I was.  OP won't budge from this mindset, and at least we've all said a few things he/she could take into consideration.

#1- Nope, not experience - but I know others have.  It's not worth crying about if the test experience is bad.  (Again...you suck it up).

#2- You misunderstand, and dodge the point of what is referred to in the second bold sentence.  I am still talking about being upset, in ANY extent that causes a person to feel they must legally deny their responsibility to have studied in the first place, and pick a pointless battle with ETS.  From your post, I must assume that... actually, I don't know what you are talking about nor how a cold has to do with the initial incident.  You are just sympathizing with a person that kinda just needs to grow up.

"Pretty indicative that"... the blank was to be filled in by you, and I don't think it was hard.

So actually... my energies are also being expended on something I don't wanna waste my time on anymore!  Good luck to all!  Bye!

Edited by repentwalpurgis

• 2 weeks later...

ive been reading the manhattan books, and feel less confident. i also dont like how manhattan will go through a lesson, and then the check your skills questions will cover things not even taught. some topics manhattan treats as though you need a full lecture(simple stuff like coordinate geometry that takes 1 sec to exlain)..yet some of the harder stuff like odd/even probs they dont explain well.

I sometimes wonder how they did what they did. btw  isee a lot of spelling errors. either way ill take the test again and see how i do.

btw i had an old friend from college ltalk to me about my scores today, and she said 162 v and 159 q are avg for the phd  i want lol. she was optimistic though that my cores werent bad, but they are lol she also said 4.7 aw.

I sometimes wonder how they did what they did. btw  isee a lot of spelling errors. either way ill take the test again and see how i do.

Yeah, your're not the only one who sees a lot of spelling errors. You may want to acquaint yourself with the shift key (quicker than hitting caps-lock) and the apostrophe, too.

You may want to acquaint yourself with some basic social skills..so I wrote ''ill'' instead of ''i'll'', what kind of arsehole busts my chops for that? I'm sure you will be very successful as a psych phd HA.

I am not publishing a book

Edited by powerlifterty16

ive been reading the manhattan books, and feel less confident. i also dont like how manhattan will go through a lesson, and then the check your skills questions will cover things not even taught. some topics manhattan treats as though you need a full lecture(simple stuff like coordinate geometry that takes 1 sec to exlain)..yet some of the harder stuff like odd/even probs they dont explain well.

I wonder what this means.