GEM Fellowship 2014

TexasGuy

Same here. I haven't heard anything. Starting to settle with not being matched with an employer which honestly wouldn't be the worst thing especially if I manage to be a GEM Associate or University Fellow.

Me too.....I want to travel in the summer and was not really interested in having to do the internship or commit some years after school to an employer because I think I want to stay in academia!

Sorry but what exactly does it mean to be a GEM Associate / University Fellow? I guess I was only aware of the scenario where an employer sponsored you.

Nope..... these came about because according to the info on the website, they were not able to get enough employers for the students so the board looked at the GEM Associate/University Fellow option.

Had to do some digging to find this but apparently these other options have only recently been added to Gem's program (this is year two). Found in one of GEM's newsletters (I think October 2013) is the following:

GEM Fellow: Employer sponsor/internship, Full tuition and fees, and stipend

GEM Associate Fellow: Full tuition and fees plus stipend

GEM University Fellow: Full tuition and fees

It is my understanding that in all cases the school is paying your tuition and fees (and stipend if applicable) not the employer. So even in cases where a student isn't offered "sponsorship" by an employer, they may still be sponsored by the university/their respective depts.

In my case I care more about the tuition and fees than the internship (assuming that is all the employers offer)---due to my UG's strong co-op program I wouldn't have a problem finding one on my own.

I already have  "Full tuition and fees plus stipend" so hopefully I get an Associate Fellowship. ***fingers-crossed!*****

I already have "Full tuition and fees plus stipend" so hopefully I get an Associate Fellowship. ***fingers-crossed!*****

Me too. I did notice that I had after I selected a school I was planning on attending, within 2 days my status for that school went from "applied" to "willing to sponsor as GEM Fellow" to "Confirmed pending contract receipt".

Does anyone know if there is a benefit to being a GEM associate fellow if you already have the funding, like is the reputation around the award noteworthy to employers or anything like that?

Edited by JerusalemG

Had to do some digging to find this but apparently these other options have only recently been added to Gem's program (this is year two). Found in one of GEM's newsletters (I think October 2013) is the following:

GEM Fellow: Employer sponsor/internship, Full tuition and fees, and stipend

GEM Associate Fellow: Full tuition and fees plus stipend

GEM University Fellow: Full tuition and fees

It is my understanding that in all cases the school is paying your tuition and fees (and stipend if applicable) not the employer. So even in cases where a student isn't offered "sponsorship" by an employer, they may still be sponsored by the university/their respective depts.

In my case I care more about the tuition and fees than the internship (assuming that is all the employers offer)---due to my UG's strong co-op program I wouldn't have a problem finding one on my own.

Well there goes my hope! I have not received any update from the school I am planning on attending! Not since March! Oh well,....... this sucks! The response email I got said that my "selection is still pending at this time......."

Congrats! JerusalemG! BTW may I know which school you decided to attend?

congratulations! I just got official notice from GEM that I was not selected by an employer. I really want to just accept the admission i have currently--but i still have FOUR schools I still haven't heard from yet. My GEM app says they are willing to sponsor me but they made no mention of it so I really don't know.

Well I didn't get GEM, but that's ok. This was a pretty confusing process all around but hopefully the people applying next fall for 2015 admission find this thread useful. Best of luck to everyone!

I'll be heading to Stanford to do my MS in Mech Eng and hopefully a PhD

Congrats JerusalemG! I'm still deciding between Stanford and UCLA. I probably met you at the visit day in February. Maybe I'll see you there in te fall.

Well I didn't get GEM, but that's ok. This was a pretty confusing process all around but hopefully the people applying next fall for 2015 admission find this thread useful. Best of luck to everyone!

I thought that maybe you got the GEM associate Fellowship based on your last post, right?

congratulations! I just got official notice from GEM that I was not selected by an employer. I really want to just accept the admission i have currently--but i still have FOUR schools I still haven't heard from yet. My GEM app says they are willing to sponsor me but they made no mention of it so I really don't know.

Me too. Rejected for the GEM Fellow...........

funny because now my employer status says released

Same here. My status is also released! Well there is always next year.........

yea now my status says unmatched.

But i officially accepted my offer from Hopkins today, they are still talking about funding me because of GEM so hopefully they follow through with that and I'll be either an associate or university fellow. gotta wait till monday for confirm

Just to clarify, my funding offer from stanford was independent of GEM. Therefore being named an associate or university fellow would be more of like an honorary thing I guess.

yea now my status says unmatched.

But i officially accepted my offer from Hopkins today, they are still talking about funding me because of GEM so hopefully they follow through with that and I'll be either an associate or university fellow. gotta wait till monday for confirm

My status still says released. GEM did offer the opportunity to be a University Fellow so we'll see how that goes.........

Just to clarify, my funding offer from stanford was independent of GEM. Therefore being named an associate or university fellow would be more of like an honorary thing I guess.

Yes. Typically your funding from your graduate school is independent of the GEM. The Associate/University Fellow is like the equivalent of an honorable mention on the Ford Fellowship......... BUT, it gives you access to that small community of scholars, which is a really big deal (In my opinion).