GEM Fellowship 2014

TexasGuy

I just got it. I'm not sure if they sent it out to everyone or just people who haven't been offered the fellowship yet. My employer status just changed to "matched" a few days ago but I'm a little worried now that I'm not actually being considered since I just got the email. 

Also did you notice that there is a required employment period after completion of graduate school, I though employment through GEM was supposed to be non binding?

I didn't get this email. I've been missing out on some of these emails and I have no idea why. My status is Released so idk if I'm just not up for consideration anymore, but a but disappointed in not even getting these emails.

Did all of you guys get the email from GEM about applying to Sandia National Labs?

No. I did not get an email........

I just got it. I'm not sure if they sent it out to everyone or just people who haven't been offered the fellowship yet. My employer status just changed to "matched" a few days ago but I'm a little worried now that I'm not actually being considered since I just got the email. 

Also did you notice that there is a required employment period after completion of graduate school, I though employment through GEM was supposed to be non binding?

I did not get this. I think it is more for applicants who meet the requirements for Sandia (US Citizenship etc.) than for everyone............

I didn't get this email. I've been missing out on some of these emails and I have no idea why. My status is Released so idk if I'm just not up for consideration anymore, but a but disappointed in not even getting these emails.

Me too....MechE2014.  I wish they would have sent us the email so we know if we are still under consideration. Well...March 15 is around the corner........... we will know very soon!

My status just switched from matched to released.

Agree with Manifestin in that it was probably targeted at US citizens, as most of the jobs require citizenship and security clearance.

Good catch on the service requirement- I think the 4 year commitment to Sandia after the Masters is a deal breaker.

To all the people whose status are changing from Matched to Released, I think that might be a good thing. Check out my previous post where I reference an email I sent to GEM about what the statuses mean.

To all the people whose status are changing from Matched to Released, I think that might be a good thing. Check out my previous post where I reference an email I sent to GEM about what the statuses mean.

I remember that post, but I've gone from matched to released twice and although I'm not certain I thought it meant 2 employers have been interested but ultimately decided not to proceed for whatever reason. I may be (hopefully) wrong though.

I was matched for MONTHS and just recently released.  It would be strange and disadvantageous for the applicant if no other company can look at your application while you are matched.  Anyway... congrats to those who got this fellowship.  The whole process seems very stange.  Being in IE/OR, I feel lots of companies don't find our skill set as beneficial/useful.  Especially at the PhD level!!

Got the official "we regret to inform you" email today. It's still a good day if that's the worst news that I get.

For next years applicants or those searching the forum next fall about the GEM process, my story is-

Applied for early consideration in OCT13. Went from unmatched to matched in Mid-DEC13. Stayed matched until early MAR14 when my status switched to released. Did not get contacted by any GEM employers.

Engineering BS from an American military academy (3.6). 5 years as an officer. Getting out of the military and Pursuing a MS petroleum engineering. GRE (161/163/5.5)

Just got this email...

"Dear 2014 GEM Applicant:

The National GEM Consortium has completed the first three rounds of our Employer selection process to determine who has been selected for confirmation to become a 2014 GEM Fellow.  We are adding one more round to this year's process and your application is under review in this final round.  We expect to make final decisions on your application by March 28, 2014."

Hello all.

I received the same email as JerusalemG yesterday as well as a follow up email mentioning that there are a total of 125 applicants being considered for this extra 4th round for which there will be an additional 7 employer fellowships awarded. I logged into my account today and noticed that I am now listed as 'matched'. I am unsure of how long my status has been matched since I haven't check in a few weeks but hopefully i hear from an employer or two or three this week. Good luck to the rest of the other applicants still being considered.

I kind of suspect that the 7 available spots are for posititons with Sandia National Labs in light of the email they sent out last week. They have a 2 year work requirement for each year they fund your masters (so 2-4 years total). That would probably be a deal breaker for me,especially since I may want to pursue a PhD after the masters.

I didn't get an email about Sandia National Labs, what did it say? Also I saw some people mention emailing contacts at the sponsoring companies...where did you all find their contact information?

I think the Sandia email may have only gone out to US Citizens (let us know if you are one as this will disprove the that theory). Also if you go to the list of GEM Employers on the GEM website I think clicking the companies name takes you to a form where you can send an email. I've sent several emails this way though and never received a reply. 

Yes I am a US Citizen and never received an email about Sandia Labs. Ahh okay found it. I'm considering sending a few emails, not sure if it'll help push me over the edge this late in the game but I suppose it is worth a shot.

I called GEM to inquire because I've read different meanings regarding these status'. What she told me is that 'matched' just means that the computer/system has matched you to an employer. "held" means that someone is reviewing and holding your application. still the 'released' status seems a bit unclear but thats what i was told.

My status went back to held today. I was held from dec 10 - mar 12, and then matched for about the last week.

I am not sure anymore because I have been matched since November and no update. I did get the email about the extension to March 28th though.

I get the imptession that "matched" is really the only good status.

Not sure. I think it is more like held and then your employer selects you..........  :huh:

I called GEM to inquire because I've read different meanings regarding these status'. What she told me is that 'matched' just means that the computer/system has matched you to an employer. "held" means that someone is reviewing and holding your application. still the 'released' status seems a bit unclear but thats what i was told.

Yeah, still trying to understand what they mean.....but mine has been matched all along and no change...........

BTW, any news anyone?