GEM Fellowship 2014

TexasGuy

I haven't heard anything. They said to contact them before accepting an internship elsewhere in case it's likely you'll get the felowship. I sent them an email about this very matter since i need to get back to another offer and I haven't heard anything

I haven't heard anything. They said to contact them before accepting an internship elsewhere in case it's likely you'll get the felowship. I sent them an email about this very matter since i need to get back to another offer and I haven't heard anything

I think they work better if you call them.......... I suppose

any news anyone? I just got accepted to Hopkins yesterday. My app still says matched but also asks where I am planning to attend

"In order to complete your application, we need to know which university you intend to matriculate through. At least one university has indicated that you have been accepted and that they are willing to sponsor you.

If you choose to go to a university that sponsors you, and an employer agrees to sponsor you, you will become a GEM Fellow."

Guessing this means I still haven't gotten anywhere with an employer

When did you recieve the email to choose a school? Ive been accepted to several schools for a while now but wasnt instructed to "indicate which school i plan on attending"

it wasn't an email. it's exactly what you said, them asking you to indicate which school you plan on attending. on that page is where i saw that message. I called GEM today and they said thats specific from the school. So in my case this school ive been accepted to is willing to sponsor me and if I get an employer to do the same i will be a GEM fellow officially

any news anyone? I just got accepted to Hopkins yesterday. My app still says matched but also asks where I am planning to attend

"In order to complete your application, we need to know which university you intend to matriculate through. At least one university has indicated that you have been accepted and that they are willing to sponsor you.

If you choose to go to a university that sponsors you, and an employer agrees to sponsor you, you will become a GEM Fellow."

Guessing this means I still haven't gotten anywhere with an employer

I have had that status for a while now......curious to find out if the guys who got rejected also has the same thing for planning to attend..........

it wasn't an email. it's exactly what you said, them asking you to indicate which school you plan on attending. on that page is where i saw that message. I called GEM today and they said thats specific from the school. So in my case this school ive been accepted to is willing to sponsor me and if I get an employer to do the same i will be a GEM fellow officially

I am not sure, but at least we are supposed to find out tomorrow if we get to be any type of fellow: full, associate, university, etc.,...........

this might be a silly question, but has anyone considered whether or not the schools you apply to confirm your acceptance with GEM before you actually hear from them?

I am guessing that maybe they did......explains a lot after my acceptance and indication for "Planning to Attend"

Has anyone heard anything, I thought the new deadline to hear was supposed to be March 28th?

Also I just clicked on the "planning to attend" link and selected a school even though I am still waiting to here back from UC Berkeley. Does anyone know if that is binding? I just figured maybe it was holding up my application or something.

Accepted: MIT, Stanford, Michigan, UT Austin, Cornell

Rejected: Princeton

Waiting: UC Berkeley, Northwestern

Edited by JerusalemG

I just got off the phone with them. Got some good information. Apparently there is one last company, Draper Laboratory, who has ~5 spots left to fill. They have been presented with a list of about 15 students and have been taking their time to make a decision. This is why there wasn't any notification sent out last Friday. I was told I was a part of this list of students. And also that they are hoping Draper will make final decisions this week.

I just got off the phone with them. Got some good information. Apparently there is one last company, Draper Laboratory, who has ~5 spots left to fill. They have been presented with a list of about 15 students and have been taking their time to make a decision. This is why there wasn't any notification sent out last Friday. I was told I was a part of this list of students. And also that they are hoping Draper will make final decisions this week.

Congratulations on getting on the shortlist! Good luck to you. I still haven't heard anything and when I called she asked me to email for information.......hmmmm

I called this morning and received no answer. When I called later today, I spoke with a woman and asked about the Friday decision and was told to send a detailed email to info@gemfellowship.org.  

To 2Naqiy, thanks for the info about Draper - do you mind sharing what your GEM Employer Status says? Thanks!

Edited by JerusalemG

I called this morning and received no answer. When I called later today, I spoke with a woman and asked about the Friday decision and was told to send a detailed email to info@gemfellowship.org.  

To 2Naqiy, thanks for the info about Draper - do you mind sharing what your GEM Employer Status says? Thanks!

I emailed and called multiple times until finally I got lucky to talk to someone willing to help me. I later got an email reply back saying they will have an official response April 4. My status has been matched from day 1 with no change. Trying very hard to hope for the best..................

Same here. I haven't heard anything. Starting to settle with not being matched with an employer which honestly wouldn't be the worst thing especially if I manage to be a GEM Associate or University Fellow.

Had to do some digging to find this but apparently these other options have only recently been added to Gem's program (this is year two). Found in one of GEM's newsletters (I think October 2013) is the following:

GEM Fellow: Employer sponsor/internship, Full tuition and fees, and stipend

GEM Associate Fellow: Full tuition and fees plus stipend

GEM University Fellow: Full tuition and fees

It is my understanding that in all cases the school is paying your tuition and fees (and stipend if applicable) not the employer. So even in cases where a student isn't offered "sponsorship" by an employer, they may still be sponsored by the university/their respective depts.

In my case I care more about the tuition and fees than the internship (assuming that is all the employers offer)---due to my UG's strong co-op program I wouldn't have a problem finding one on my own.