Fulbright 2015-2016

Oliebollen

Well, folks, a brutal interview today. Billed as "an interview of approximately 20 minutes, in which a group of experts will ask more about you and your professional interests and goals," it was a full-fledged, substantive inquiry into my proposed project ... in Spanish. I speak Spanish well enough to get by in daily life and am studying to return to my childhood fluency, but I most certainly am not able to converse about social and cultural implications of my oral history project.  A group of 5 academics - historians, social scientists, and law professors - grilled me. I truly struggled both to understand the questions and to formulate answers. i hope I got points for being a good sport. I also hope that the substance of my project, with which my inquisitors seems quite intrigued, carries the day.

So, beware and prepare.

If its any consolation, last year I felt about 70% after the interview and was selected as an alternate. So not sure, but many people felt uneasy after that interview..

You are not alone

If its any consolation, last year I felt about 70% after the interview and was selected as an alternate. So not sure, but many people felt uneasy after that interview..

You are not alone

Thanks!

Honestly, if the Fulbright folks want someone who at this moment is sufficiently fluent in Spanish to converse with a wide range of academics at a deep level, I'm obviously not their guy.

I'm committed to my project, have a sabbatical coming, have freelance writing commissions related to my project and Mexico, and will spend next fall in Mexico regardless of the outcome of the Fulbright process. Still ... ouch!

Thanks, again.

Edited by JohnT

People are getting contacted about interviews already? Yikes! According to the email I got, it said we would be informed "by the end of January" so I wasn't expecting much before then. I applied to do a research masters in the UK. I'm also planning to apply for Whitaker Fellowship to study bioengineering in the UK. But I've been able to keep my mind off of the Fulbright pretty well as I freak out over PhD program applications and interviews for Mitchell/Marshall/Rhodes.

Anyone else in the same boat with the type of Fulbright and know when I might hear something?

Thanks!

Honestly, if the Fulbright folks want someone who at this moment is sufficiently fluent in Spanish to converse with a wide range of academics at a deep level, I'm obviously not their guy.

I'm committed to my project, have a sabbatical coming, have freelance writing commissions related to my project and Mexico, and will spend next fall in Mexico regardless of the outcome of the Fulbright process. Still ... ouch!

Thanks, again.

Yah very different. Last year, they asked very little about my project, more personal questions

People are getting contacted about interviews already? Yikes! According to the email I got, it said we would be informed "by the end of January" so I wasn't expecting much before then. I applied to do a research masters in the UK. I'm also planning to apply for Whitaker Fellowship to study bioengineering in the UK. But I've been able to keep my mind off of the Fulbright pretty well as I freak out over PhD program applications and interviews for Mitchell/Marshall/Rhodes.

Anyone else in the same boat with the type of Fulbright and know when I might hear something?

Well John and I applied under the research scholar program which had an Aug 1 deadline and between Oct and Dec they notified of first round selections.. For UK I still have another round to see if I am short listed for an interview in early January.. I think your program may be a bit  different..

Well John and I applied under the research scholar program which had an Aug 1 deadline and between Oct and Dec they notified of first round selections.. For UK I still have another round to see if I am short listed for an interview in early January.. I think your program may be a bit  different..

Exactly. The core scholar program is on its own timeline.

Thanks for sharing your experience JohnT! My Chinese sounds right about at the level of your Spanish, and I definitely couldn't perform at that level in an interview. Did you apply for a CLEA?

I'm doing my best not to think about Fulbright, and I think I'm doing a pretty good job, but people who are rooting for me keep asking if I've heard back yet!  :blink: Last year I had a hard time focusing on other things until I heard back in January, but now that I'm re-applying I'm pretty zen about it and going forward with backup plans. Life goes on, you know?

Edited by Oliebollen

Oliebollen,

No, I didn't apply for a CLEA. just the US Scholar Program, for Mexico. So, I was surprised by the interview. But, I do know that I couldn't have prepared better. So, whatever happens, happens.

I've spoken with others who received a US Scholar Fulbright grant, but for other countries, and they had no interview. So, obviously, the process varies by country.

Anyway, good luck to you. To what program did you apply?

Does anyone know (for the scholar program) what percent typically gets past the first phase and the final phase?

Depends on what country you applied for. UK is very competitive so the rate is high for first round denials to move on. UK has the first round, then a short list, which is followed by an interview. Some countries and I am not sure which ones, as I can only speak  from things I've read about the various sites. Have no interview and you are selected and then final selection and your in.. Give me an idea of what country you are looking at and what program?

Hey!

Does anyone know any details about the "pre-departure orientation in DC"? what month does that take place in? I know it is sometime in the summer..

Good luck everybody!

Usually late July or early August

I went to my husband's back when he was a Fulbrighter  :)  I guess the orientations are based on region, because ours was just the for the South and Central Asia grantees. It was a weekend-long thing, if I remember correctly. They flew us out there and gave him a prepaid card to spend on food expenses. The info sessions ranged from culture shock to what to pack, that kind of thing.

I wanted to ask everyone a question. I applied for a full grant to attend grad school and conduct research in Canada. With that said, I have some concerns. According to their website, they only offer people awarded the Fulbright a stipend of U.S.$15,000 for the award period, which is expected to cover all living expenses, tuition, and school related expenses. Well, upon reading this, I checked the cost of the University I am applying to. They currently charge roughly U.S.$7,000 for the 1 year masters. How are Fulbright recipients expected to live on roughly $900 a month in such an expensive city like Toronto?! I'd be lucky to find a place for less than $600 a month, and that is just rent alone.

Here is the link that shows the stipend: 

http://www.fulbright.ca/programs/american-students/traditional-awards-3/

Edited by whaynes2

I wanted to ask everyone a question. I applied for a full grant to attend grad school and conduct research in Canada. With that said, I have some concerns. According to their website, they only offer people awarded the Fulbright a stipend of U.S.$15,000 for the award period, which is expected to cover all living expenses, tuition, and school related expenses. Well, upon reading this, I checked the cost of the University I am applying to. They currently charge roughly U.S.$7,000 for the 1 year masters. How are Fulbright recipients expected to live on roughly $900 a month in such an expensive city like Toronto?! I'd be lucky to find a place for less than $600 a month, and that is just rent alone.

Welcome to Fulbright, you get what you get. You are expected to live on that.. I know sounds astonishing, but its the truth

Has anyone else re-read their essays and think they are terrible in hindsight?

I'm hoping it's just nerves, and they're actually okay...I had enough eyes on what I wrote.

Has anyone else re-read their essays and think they are terrible in hindsight?

I'm hoping it's just nerves, and they're actually okay...I had enough eyes on what I wrote.

I am in the same boat. In hindsight, I think what I wrote was utter balderdash. My gf reckons it's a case of butterflies. I hope she's right but to be honest I am not dreadfully optimistic.

Welcome to Fulbright, you get what you get. You are expected to live on that.. I know sounds astonishing, but its the truth

Are you sure the figure is exclusive of tuition?

One of my friends was placed in a town in Germany. Almost all of the apartments she looked at were the entirety of her stipend. She did luck out and find something that was do-able, but I have heard of people in Munich who spend 700 of the 850 euro allotment (I think those are the right amounts) on just rent. Not transport or food or anything else; just rent. 

Is this what you are looking for? http://us.fulbrightonline.org/statistics

Those are the stats for the student programs. The poster is seeking stats for the US Scholar program. As far as I know, those stats are not available. I have read that about 10% of the proposals receive recommendations and about half of those recommended get funded. But, the numbers vary dramatically by geography and topic.

Those are the stats for the student programs. The poster is seeking stats for the US Scholar program. As far as I know, those stats are not available. I have read that about 10% of the proposals receive recommendations and about half of those recommended get funded. But, the numbers vary dramatically by geography and topic.

With regards to the US Scholar program, you will not get the stats online or out of Fulbright personnel. Very hush hush about it. Some countries have interviews and some do not. UK is competitive so many apps, few first round selections and fewer grantees. Other places may be very different as John points out. Germany and Austria have many awards and tend not to have as many applications as the UK. I know this only from forum last year and a few of my colleagues whom applied. and received awards. 

Edited by Bluefit