URGENT- my reference missed the deadline...

kmizter

I applied to a masters program at U of T earlier this month. I had everything done and completed well in advance- including getting two of my three referees to upload their references. This week I was very sick-literally bed ridden so I had not been checking the website to see if my third reference- whom I have a very close, personal relationship with had uploaded the reference as he assured me it would be fine.

Today, I checked the website. It said the request for my third reference was never received and that my application is incomplete. Incomplete applications will NOT be considered, so basically it will be thrown out. 

Has anyone been in this situation? Has it been rectified? I currently attend U of T so I emailed the graduate department explaining the situation as they know my reference very well. He also holds a lot of weight at the institution, but I have no idea if this will even make a difference. 

If he accepts the responsibility and emails the graduate department directly, is there a chance that this situation can be resolved? Or am I literally screwed? 

I'm really panicking. This was one of three schools I applied to and probably have the best chance at. 

Anything advice would help at this point. 

Thank you 

I would definitely email the graduate department. You have a shot. I know at UBC the grad admissions coordinator of my program gives an extra two weeks or so after the deadline for additional documents to come in. I had a similar issue, except my reference submitted his literally the day before the deadline.

If anyone is in a similar situation- after my referee, the head of my current program, and myself emailed the department, I was able to submit a reference only if I handed in a hard copy of the letter the same day. So if anyone is dealing with this, just get on it fast!

As a former admissions officer for a top US school, I know that most schools will offer a grace period. After this grace period, any reference not submitted is viewed as a negative LOR  while other schools will consider the application incomplete and will not review it. You should absolutely email the professor/recommended and have HIM explain a valid reason why this was submitted late. This argument will be less effective if you do it on his behalf. -Admissions Advice Online 

It might be possible that the LOR was received but your application status has to be updated.  Out of the four I had write LORs on my behalf, it seems that all of them submitted at least one LOR at the last minute, almost literally.  

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this thread a while ago and I was in the same situation. 

One of the MS programs in Mechanical Engineering I applied to had a December 15 deadline to submit your application, and said "Official transcripts and LOR need be in our office no later than January 1 as the admission committee starts making decisions."

TWO out of my three rec letters got turned in 4-5 days after that January 1 deadline. I figured I was screwed since they had not only missed the hard deadline but also the deadline to the grace period! I emailed the admissions office right away, and again a couple of weeks later, and did not get any response to either email.

What was the next email I got from them? An email on February 12 telling me I had been admitted, and from looking at gradcafe I was one of the first ones to receive that email from that department.

TL;DR You do have hope! 

• 2 weeks later...

A little late, so OP has probably solved his/her problem, but I'm going to throw in my 2 cents for anyone looking later. Make sure that you call the department and check that everything was received before you panic. Two of my programs this year listed materials as missing when they did, in fact, have them. 

My application to Iowa is still "missing my transcript" but a call to the graduate admissions office confirmed that my application has been received and marked complete in its entirety.