Harvard Extension School

ahimsa000

Hi everyone,

I have recently applied to Masters' programs in Biotechnology. Here are my stats (please don't judge, I did pretty poorly in undergrad):

Grades/Scores:

-Cumulative uGPA of 2.76

-GRE: Verbal: 148, Quantitative: 160, Writing: 4.0

Work Experience:

-Lab assistant for a PI who is the dean of M.D./PhD admissions at UC Irvine (2 years)

-Research Assistant for a PI who is well known in the neuroscience world (1.5 years)

-EMT for an ambulance company (5 months) 

-Lab technician for a diagnostic lab (not on my application, as I just started working here)

Internship Experience:

-Undergraduate research intern in Neuroscience (1 year)

-Clinical Intern in Nepal (1 month) 

LORs:

-From dean of admissions at UCI 

-From research supervisor from internship

-From EMT course teacher

-I have 3 abstracts that were presented at Society for Neuroscience and 1 journal article in review at the Journal of Neuroscience 

-I received the "Excellence in Research" award in my last year at college

I know my GPA and GRE scores aren't amazing. I was working full time, there is really no excuse because I'm sure so many people worked full time and graduated Cum Laude as well. Regardless, I have applied to 8 schools for Biotechnology, they are all out of my league, I know, but I stumbled upon this program at Harvard Extension School and was wondering if anyone had advice about this. I know it's not the BEST, but would this option hinder my chances at going further into a PhD program? Will employers look down on this? I would like to know more about the program from a different point of view than the Harvard website. If anyone can help, please let me know. Thank you so much.

SR

Hello,

I would highly recommend you take up some classes so you can say that you weren't "mature" as an undergrad and now you are serious about your studies. This also shows that you are committed to learning. 

Employers do look down on it BUT it is better than nothing. Nevertheless, since it is slightly a bit more prestigious than those online courses like DeVry, I don't think employers will completely spit on it. 

Thanks for your help...I also wanted to know, how will PhD programs in Biotechnology look at this?

Not related to Harvard's program, I got an email from NYU Poly to apply (they said they found my GRE score online) and they waived my fees and everything, does this give me a tiny chance at getting in? I know I messed up and I'm not proud, I just really want to prove myself now. 

To give a long story short, I messed up my senior year in college. Got a 2.0 in my last semester because I went through PTSD thanks to my ex-boyfriend and they were some business courses. I had to take courses at NYU SCPS to show that the last semester was a fluke and that it won't happen again. 

KCL reached out to me and told me that it was bc of my certificate courses at NYU that was the key factor in them accepting me, although, they were a bit reluctant to do so also because they were worried that I would not be willing to leave NYU for KCL.

So personally, I think you should take it. It will show growth. I think NYU Poly sends those to everyone to be honest. I received one and I'm not an engineer. It doesn't hurt to apply though :)

Thanks for your advice! I did send my application to NYU Poly, so we'll see if I get in. Worst come scenario, I will do the Harvard Extension School program to prove that I can handle graduate level courses and then apply for a PhD after that. Thank you and good luck in school! 

Hi everyone,

I have recently applied to Masters' programs in Biotechnology. Here are my stats (please don't judge, I did pretty poorly in undergrad):

Grades/Scores:

-Cumulative uGPA of 2.76

-GRE: Verbal: 148, Quantitative: 160, Writing: 4.0

Work Experience:

-Lab assistant for a PI who is the dean of M.D./PhD admissions at UC Irvine (2 years)

-Research Assistant for a PI who is well known in the neuroscience world (1.5 years)

-EMT for an ambulance company (5 months) 

-Lab technician for a diagnostic lab (not on my application, as I just started working here)

Internship Experience:

-Undergraduate research intern in Neuroscience (1 year)

-Clinical Intern in Nepal (1 month) 

LORs:

-From dean of admissions at UCI 

-From research supervisor from internship

-From EMT course teacher

-I have 3 abstracts that were presented at Society for Neuroscience and 1 journal article in review at the Journal of Neuroscience 

-I received the "Excellence in Research" award in my last year at college

I know my GPA and GRE scores aren't amazing. I was working full time, there is really no excuse because I'm sure so many people worked full time and graduated Cum Laude as well. Regardless, I have applied to 8 schools for Biotechnology, they are all out of my league, I know, but I stumbled upon this program at Harvard Extension School and was wondering if anyone had advice about this. I know it's not the BEST, but would this option hinder my chances at going further into a PhD program? Will employers look down on this? I would like to know more about the program from a different point of view than the Harvard website. If anyone can help, please let me know. Thank you so much.

SR

For the record, this is not a bad undergrad experience. Your quant score is competitive, you have almost four years of undergrad research experience, and it sounds like you may have had some great LORs.  

I know two people who went through a ho-hum BSN program, have decent, but not high, GPAs, decent GRE scores, and a heck of a lot less research experience than you.  They both applied to Ph.D. programs in neuroscience and both were accepted (one to BU and one to Duke). 

Thanks for your help...I also wanted to know, how will PhD programs in Biotechnology look at this?

Not related to Harvard's program, I got an email from NYU Poly to apply (they said they found my GRE score online) and they waived my fees and everything, does this give me a tiny chance at getting in? I know I messed up and I'm not proud, I just really want to prove myself now. 

It just means they found your GRE scores to be competitive enough for admissions, and probably assume the rest of your application will follow suit considering that some believe GRE scores are indicative of GPA (and others understand that even top students can royally suck at standardized tests).  

You didn't mess up buddy, in fact by doing close to four years of undergrad research while also working full time you really did things right.  

Have you heard back from anyone of your programs yet? 

As for the Extension Program, I am not sure.  

I just re-read the OP.....if those experiences do not make you a competitive applicant than I do not see how a higher GPA would.  If you do not get accepted anywhere than it might be worth your while to dabble into the HE for a year, then reapply.  It won't be cheap, though. 

Harvard Extension School will get you into well respected PhD programs. The reality is that HES is only open enrollment if you want to take a few classes, but to actually get into one of their programs, you have to do pretty well. It has been said time after time that classes at HES are harder than courses at Harvard College. Furthermore, quite a few courses at HES are taught by faculty from other schools at HES. Judging by your profile, which includes the GPA of a 2.76, HES will serve as a perfect bridge for you. -Admissions Advice Online 

Thank you Crucial BBQ and Admissions Advice Online! 

I really appreciate your feedback and encouragement. Here's the list of schools I have applied to for Fall 2014 admission:

UCI 

Brown

UPenn

UMass Boston

Penn State

EVMS

Drexel

Worcester State U

Roosevelt U

NYU Poly

I am thinking about applying to Northeastern since they keep emailing me about their program and possibly Thomas Jefferson University as well. I know I applied to some really out of reach schools, but I thought I'd give it a shot. Thank you all again! I really appreciate the advice. 

Harvard Extension School will get you into well respected PhD programs. The reality is that HES is only open enrollment if you want to take a few classes, but to actually get into one of their programs, you have to do pretty well. It has been said time after time that classes at HES are harder than courses at Harvard College. Furthermore, quite a few courses at HES are taught by faculty from other schools at HES. Judging by your profile, which includes the GPA of a 2.76, HES will serve as a perfect bridge for you. -Admissions Advice Online 

Don't you just need to take three courses on probation, pass each with at least a B, and then your "in"?

Thank you Crucial BBQ and Admissions Advice Online! 

I really appreciate your feedback and encouragement. Here's the list of schools I have applied to for Fall 2014 admission:

UCI 

Brown

UPenn

UMass Boston

Penn State

EVMS

Drexel

Worcester State U

Roosevelt U

NYU Poly

I am thinking about applying to Northeastern since they keep emailing me about their program and possibly Thomas Jefferson University as well. I know I applied to some really out of reach schools, but I thought I'd give it a shot. Thank you all again! I really appreciate the advice. 

I used to live in Boston, did undergrad there, too.  I know a few people who went to UMass Boston, three for nursing, one for a Ph.D. in botany (might still be there), and one for another biological science. I personally think the school is okay and I even thought about applying there myself, but it is not in the best part of town, is 100% commuter, and it's undergrad reputation is not the greatest.  Northeastern is not to shabby of a school, more easily accessible by the T, and in a generally better location.  It is near Berkeley College of Music, Fenway Park and all of the Colleges of the Fenway, Harvard Medical School, Wentworth, Mass School of Art and Design (or something like that), and Newbury St. if you like overpriced shopping (even by Boston standards).  

Rhode Island is a cool state in my opinion, and I really wanted to apply to Brown as well.  I ran short of funds and could only apply to a few schools, so I cut them out as the program I was looking at would have been a long shot.  I also love Providence.  It is fun place, but the COL is rather high.  The MBTA (Boston public transportation, aka the T) runs a commuter train line from Boston to Providence.  I am not sure when the first train runs, but the last train from Boston gets into Providence at 1 am and the last train leaving Providence to Boston is...at 10:45 pm.  It's $10 each way and takes about an hour.  

Worcester....is kinda white trash ghetto.  A friend of mine still goes to WPI and loves it.  I don't know much about Worcester State.  If you go just be sure to pronounce it something similar to woo-stah. Mass. and Maine are the only two states that celebrate Patriot's Day.  I don't recall what day it is, but your school will be closed.  It's a state holiday.  

I don't know much about the other schools, but considering your list and your stats I'd be sure you are going to get into at least one.  

Hey Crucial BBQ, I thought the same when I looked at their program, like you need 3 prereq courses taken with B's or higher and then a letter of rec and some experience, and you're in. It seemed appealing until I read all the crap that Harvard students were saying about the Extension School. It's really a shame that there are people who would make fun of someone going to HES. Anyways, I also should add, I was thinking about applying to JHU as well, since I read on a few forums that it is easier to get into as a "special student" on provisional acceptance. So yeah, I will probably work on my app tonight and submit by tomorrow. :) Thanks again for your input! 

Hey Crucial BBQ, I thought the same when I looked at their program, like you need 3 prereq courses taken with B's or higher and then a letter of rec and some experience, and you're in. It seemed appealing until I read all the crap that Harvard students were saying about the Extension School. It's really a shame that there are people who would make fun of someone going to HES. Anyways, I also should add, I was thinking about applying to JHU as well, since I read on a few forums that it is easier to get into as a "special student" on provisional acceptance. So yeah, I will probably work on my app tonight and submit by tomorrow. :) Thanks again for your input! 

Harvard Extension is not bad.  It is one of the seven colleges that comprise Harvard University with the Extension being around since, what, something like 1900?  It has some cred in that respect.  It also gets cred for requiring students to pass three courses "proving" you got what it takes.  It is understandable that a Harvard College student would look down on it, in particular since HES students sometimes claim to be Harvard students, which they are not. I suppose there is a sense of entitlement that comes with being accepted into an Ivy when the competition is so fierce.

Another thing to consider is that some courses are online, some are only at the brick-and-morter school, and some may be both(?).  In my opinion, for what you want to study, it would make more sense if you actually lived in the Boston/Cambridge area. 

As for JHU...I know a lot about Baltimore and a little about the school.  My ex went there for her Master's, and is really how/why I ended up in Maryland for the most part.  She applied for a Ph.D. but was accepted into a Master's program.  Her GRE quant score was rather low (and I mean low...not 159 "low"), and when she was interviewed the interviewer kept stressing that her quant score was a real concern (the interview was over the phone...I was in the room with her...).  She got in, then barely passed her first stats course, failed the second one, and could not enroll into the third.  She ended up having to retake the second and then do the third stat courses online, which she passed both. 

That is too bad about UPenn.  

Glad you appreciate my words  :)

Edited by Crucial BBQ

I submitted my app for JHU! I'm nervous now lol. I've been checking the results page DAILY for any updates in the Biotechnology field, and it seems like not many people applied (that are on grad cafe) to that course. 

So I'm pretty bummed out about NYU Poly's rejection. Especially after getting the invitation to the "accepted students" event in LA next month. I am looking more seriously at HES and what it has to offer. So many alumni from HES say that the courses are NOT easy and it's just as hard as any other real program. I might sound shallow, which I know I don't deserve to be with my stats, but I don't want to go to school and be made fun of because I go to the extension program. Fair enough, right? Anyways, if there are any more opinions on HES, please message me or post on here...I'm really upset about NYU Poly so I need some encouragement :( Thanks! 

Hello,

HES programs are not as easy to get into as some people may think. Very few students who attempt the core courses actually obtain the required grades to get into a program. Also, HES will just be a stepping stone for you. Just to take you from point A to C. There is no need to care if people who will have no input as to where you go in the future will respect it or not. All admissions officers and staff at PhD programs know about HES. You can contact HES and ask them where their graduates go. Their graduates run the gamut from Harvard University itself to other IVY League and top programs. If you were rejected from NYU Poly for biotech, there is a good chance that HES courses will be highly beneficial to you. Also, you can send me your personal Statement so I can take a look and critique that as well. - Admissions Advice Online 

Thank you for your reply...I am really disappointed about NYU Poly. Anyways, I am seriously considering the HES program now, and I guess I'm just going to have to get over my fear of getting made fun of for posing as a Harvard student. My end goal is to get my PhD in Biochem and Molecular Bio anyways, so I guess this little stepping stone is no big deal. Where can I send you my personal statement? I have been changing the last paragraph for each school. Thank you so much!! 

SR

Thank you for your reply...I am really disappointed about NYU Poly. Anyways, I am seriously considering the HES program now, and I guess I'm just going to have to get over my fear of getting made fun of for posing as a Harvard student. My end goal is to get my PhD in Biochem and Molecular Bio anyways, so I guess this little stepping stone is no big deal. Where can I send you my personal statement? I have been changing the last paragraph for each school. Thank you so much!! 

SR

you can pm it to me here, I will just give you an overall critique. - Admissions Advice Online 

Crucial BBQ

HES students sometimes claim to be Harvard students, which they are not.

Please check your facts so as to avoid making ignorant statements. Students of the Harvard Extension School are students of Harvard University, and therefore constitute "Harvard students." The problem is that your conception of "Harvard students" is vague and ambiguous, and therefore applies to virtually the entire student population of Harvard University, including Extension. But still, I argue that Extension students are still "Harvard students." 

"HES Students" requires a bit of clarification as Extension students typically fall into two camps: (1) Course Takers; and (2) Degree Candidates. But regardless, either type of student can rightfully claim that he or she is a "Harvard student."

Course takers are folks who enroll in Extension courses typically for three reasons, though these reasons are by no means mutually exclusive: (i) to pursue intellectual interest; (ii) to meet continuing education requirements that may or may not culminate in receipt of a professional certificate; (iii) to complete pre admission course requirements for Extension's degree programs (AA, ALB, and MLA). Course Takers are not granted full campus privileges, but they have access to Grossman library and are even given the coveted "@fas.harvard.edu" e-mail address, which they may use so long as they are enrolled in courses. Since Course Takers take courses through the Harvard Extension School, which is one of thirteen schools under the umbrella of Harvard University (e.g. Harvard College, Harvard Law School, Divinity School, etc.), they can rightfully claim to be "Harvard students." 

Degree candidates are granted access to virtually all of Harvard University's facilities including all its libraries, museums, career services center, etc. (I say "virtually" because on-campus housing is not available to Extension students). Additionally, Extension alumni are full-fledged alumni of Harvard University. Therefore, Degree Candidates can rightfully claim that they are in fact "Harvard students."

Moreover, Degree Candidates should rightfully claim their status as "Harvard students." They must successfully pass the "Test of Critical Reading and Analytic Writing" in order to earn a place in the gate-keeper pre admission course that is Expository Writing; they must then pass Expos with a 'B' or better. Expos has served as a requirement of the Harvard College Writing Program for ages and is notable because even literary icon T.S. Eliot struggled in the course. (Master's-Level Degree Candidates must pass a proseminar course in their field). Degree candidates must also pass two other pre admission courses with a 'B' or better before they are eligible to apply to the programs. Yes. Extension still requires a formal application even after students clear the pre admission hurdles. Moreover, Extension degree programs require that a minimum number of credits be taken on campus and with Harvard instructors, but students can earn degrees by taking courses exclusively with Harvard faculty if they so desire. From a qualitative standpoint, if a student takes Harvard courses (especially those taught by Harvard faculty), then she constitutes a "Harvard student."

Both Course Takers and Degree Candidates constitute "Harvard students." If you feel that Extension students should clarify their affiliation with the University, then the onus should be on you to avoid using such a vague and ambiguous conception as "Harvard students." Please do not attempt to denigrate Extension students for meeting the standards set by your own vague conception of "Harvard students." 

Edited by Crimson2014

I think the distinction aimed for stumbled somewhere along these lines

Yes harvard extension students are harvard students in that they are attended a harvard program

No they are not in the sense that they are not the traditional harvard applicant who applied through the standard process

as a side

and are even given the coveted "@fas.harvard.edu" e-mail address,

:rolleyes:

No they are not in the sense that they are not the traditional harvard applicant who applied through the standard process

Harvard University comprises thirteen schools, all of which maintain different application processes. Therefore, there is no "standard process." For instance, application to Harvard Law School is drastically different from application to Harvard Divinity School.

Allow me to engage your argument a bit. If you are comparing the application processes of Harvard Extension School with Harvard College (the other Harvard school that confers undergraduate degrees), then yes, the processes are different. And they should be: the average age of Extension students is 35. Just as the GRE, on its own, would be a poor predictor of one's success at Harvard Law School, Harvard College metrics such as high school GPA, SAT scores, and Model UN victories were a lifetime ago for most Extension degree applications, and are therefore unlikely to predict their current academic capabilities.  

There is not a standard application process that applies to all of Harvard, just like there is no unified conception of "Harvard student."  

Edited by Crimson2014

There is not a standard application process that applies to all of Harvard

No one is arguing there exists a single process that applies to all of Harvard.  People are simply arguing that there are common application processes that most the student body goes through, and then alternative processes that a minority might go through.  As the latter went through a different process, it might be reasonable to potentially percieve them as similarly being a different kind of Harvard student, for better or worse.

Such as?

The names are a bit of a giveaway but to quote

"All freshman applicants—both international and U.S. candidates—must complete the Common Application or Universal College Application, along with the required supplements. You will need to submit:"

https://college.harvard.edu/admissions/application-requirements

Edited by |||