Chemistry Applications Fall 2015

ChemiKyle

Never mind. Just got home to find the rejection letter in the mail. It was dated Feb. 17th. Finally nice to have some closure.

Thanks for the update! Looking forward to my rejection letter! XD

Thanks. As soon as I get a decision from NYU, I should be able to make a final decision on graduate school. It is really odd that NYU has the earliest application deadline among all schools I applied to (Dec 12), but is still unable to send me a decision email.

BTW, may I ask when their visitation weekends are?

There was already one visit weekend on February 13th for early acceptances, the next one is March 5th-6th, but I will only be attending on the afternoon of the 6th.

Did anyone receive financial information from UT Austin yet? 

See some of you guys this weekend!  :D

I haven't heard anything yet, but I'm hoping that will be addressed this weekend!

I have contacted Dr. Brodbelt about it and was told the stipend is around 22,500/year. I know they also have around 12 fellowships to offer that are close to 30,000/year and that was supposed to be finalized this week. I won't be visiting until March 27th, but please share if you find out anything good this weekend.

I have contacted Dr. Brodbelt about it and was told the stipend is around 22,500/year. I know they also have around 12 fellowships to offer that are close to 30,000/year and that was supposed to be finalized this week. I won't be visiting until March 27th, but please share if you find out anything good this weekend.

Thanks! Definitely ....the visit agenda sounds great!

I haven't heard anything yet, but I'm hoping that will be addressed this weekend!

I just received my packet today :)

Edited by lasermad

I have a friend who applied to the PhD/Master combined program at UNC and NC State but haven't heard anything. It seems that UNC has already sent out letters, so does this mean he's on waitlist? Has anyone heard anything from NC State?

I have a friend who applied to the PhD/Master combined program at UNC and NC State but haven't heard anything. It seems that UNC has already sent out letters, so does this mean he's on waitlist? Has anyone heard anything from NC State?

Their biochemistry department emailed out they no longer had funding to accept any applicants and offered to forward my application to another department. I called the director of graduate admissions in chemistry to see if they would actually consider my application this late. He said they'd already made all interview invitations (the interviews are the week of March 15) and would not look at my app.

Not sure if that applies to the joint program but there's that.

Their biochemistry department emailed out they no longer had funding to accept any applicants and offered to forward my application to another department. I called the director of graduate admissions in chemistry to see if they would actually consider my application this late. He said they'd already made all interview invitations (the interviews are the week of March 15) and would not look at my app.

Not sure if that applies to the joint program but there's that.

Here's the email from biochem if anyone is interested.

Dear Applicant

Due to increasing budget and funding cuts scheduled for the next academic year, we will not be able to accept PhD students for fall 2015. This is an unfortunate situation for both the students and professors, but a reality of the times.

Since you already applied to the Graduate School at NC State, your application can be directed to another program at no cost to you. To redirect your application, you need to contact the admissions office in the Graduate School (http://www.ncsu.edu/project/grad/admissions/index.php) and let them know that you applied for the fall 2015 semester and would like to have your application considered for another program. They should transfer your application based on your request.

I wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

Sincerely,

(Director of admissions)

Thanks! That's good to know. My friend applied to the physical/inorganic chemistry department, but he hasn't heard anything, not even rejection. If the whole chemistry department is out of funding, doesn't it mean that all chemistry programs are done? I wonder why he has not heard anything from them at all.

Thanks! That's good to know. My friend applied to the physical/inorganic chemistry department, but he hasn't heard anything, not even rejection. If the whole chemistry department is out of funding, doesn't it mean that all chemistry programs are done? I wonder why he has not heard anything from them at all.

They categorize biochem as its own department. Some schools I applied to (ga tech for example) merge biochem and chem, some (Emory) biochem is in biology, and some it's stand alone (UGA--but i applied to chem there bc my ms is in chem and I wanted a place I knew I could get into vs going cross fields even though my bs is biochem and my concentration is biochem)

The biochem dept at nc state is the one without funding. Chem is still going to take students. Chem is the one who told me they already sent out interviews and I couldn't forward my app to them cause they'd already made those decisions

For the people going to MITs weekend - did you get an email when you RSVP'd? I think I'm losing my mind because I vaguely remember RSVP-ing in January but I don't have any record of that and haven't heard from them since.

I didn't apply to the Chem department but to a department in the school of pharmacy... How long did those who interviewed at Michigan wait to hear back about a decision?

I interviewed for Michigan's Chemical Biology program on February 7th, and heard back from them February 18th. Did anyone give you an idea of how long it takes for the department to get back to you? They sent me an email the Monday following my interview stating that they'd get back to me the following week. 

Edited by KineticIsotopeDefect

I interviewed for Michigan's Chemical Biology program on February 7th, and heard back from them February 18th. Did anyone give you an idea of how long it takes for the department to get back to you? They sent me an email the Monday following my interview stating that they'd get back to me the following week. 

Ah thank you!!!! &Not really- I didn't ask nor did any of the other recruits. I was looking for a window of time really, like a week vs. two so I could stop obsessivley checking my email 

I'm still waiting to hear from 4 schools I applied to. A few the application deadline was January 15 so it has not been 8 weeks yet. For two of my applications, though, it has been 8 weeks (well over for NYU but I'm assuming that is a rejection). As I would like to start moving towards a decision for the fall (with the schools I have heard from) I am planning on following up on some of my applications. I have noticed people mentioning they have done this on here. Should I email the graduate admissions office or the graduate director of my program?

For the people going to MITs weekend - did you get an email when you RSVP'd? I think I'm losing my mind because I vaguely remember RSVP-ing in January but I don't have any record of that and haven't heard from them since.

Not as far as I remember. Sort of freaked me out as well!

I'm still waiting to hear from 4 schools I applied to. A few the application deadline was January 15 so it has not been 8 weeks yet. For two of my applications, though, it has been 8 weeks (well over for NYU but I'm assuming that is a rejection). As I would like to start moving towards a decision for the fall (with the schools I have heard from) I am planning on following up on some of my applications. I have noticed people mentioning they have done this on here. Should I email the graduate admissions office or the graduate director of my program?

Admissions director for your intended program-they are the ones that will have this information . There's usually an email on the "how to apply" page for your program that is specifically for application inquiries (although they are sometimes also for general application questions).In any case they will definitively notify before April 15. Good luck !