Chemistry Applications Fall 2015

ChemiKyle

Might just be that the people who got in don't use/know about gradcafe? I'm not sure how many people they admitted, maybe the class size is small...

Yes the class size is small. When i called the grad office they said they are reducing the acceptance size compared to last year (approx. -20 ppl) and they used to accept 80. So this year it might be only 60~ 70 ish. They said that they are gonna tell us about the wait list nxt week. You can call them and give them ur name to look up if u are on the offer list.

I know! The wait for these acceptance or rejection letters is even harder than the applications! I wish I could get a "hey, we're kinda looking at you" or "hey, we liked your application and you've got a 1 in a million chance". 

Haha, exactly.

Has anyone here applied and heard from Duke and Emory? I only applied to those two and there is still no word from them. The wait is stressing me out big time.

International student here.

I haven't heard from Duke either, but I know someone who has. He did an REU there though, so he was almost sure to get in anyway.

So I have an awesome/exciting story to tell. I hadn't heard back from Northwestern regarding my decision at all as of last Thursday. I had called the graduate coordinators and they said that they were essentially done sending out acceptances roughly a week before last Thursday. I was getting worried as it was my top school...I ended up talking to one of my friends who goes there as a graduate chemistry student. He told me who the professor was that is the head of the admissions committee (who I was lucky enough to have written about on my SOP).

I decided to give calling him a shot and I a voicemail on his office phone Thursday morning telling him how I really enjoyed his group's research and that I would love to come to NU, but I had not heard anything back yet and was afraid that my application was overlooked despite being readily qualified ( I go to a small state school and none of my LOR writers had any connections to NU). 

To my astonishment I found a voicemail from him about two hours later and he told me to call him back. I ended up talking to him for roughly 20 minutes and he told me that I had been accepted! 

I'm not sure if I had initially been rejected (I feel like I was), but calling him seemed to have made a huge difference! I hope that gives hope to all of you out there about potentially taking the initiative and calling your top schools if you haven't heard back yet.

Also excellent job everyone else, I hope to be able to run into some of you at visitation weekends.

So I have an awesome/exciting story to tell. I hadn't heard back from Northwestern regarding my decision at all as of last Thursday. I had called the graduate coordinators and they said that they were essentially done sending out acceptances roughly a week before last Thursday. I was getting worried as it was my top school...I ended up talking to one of my friends who goes there as a graduate chemistry student. He told me who the professor was that is the head of the admissions committee (who I was lucky enough to have written about on my SOP).

I decided to give calling him a shot and I a voicemail on his office phone Thursday morning telling him how I really enjoyed his group's research and that I would love to come to NU, but I had not heard anything back yet and was afraid that my application was overlooked despite being readily qualified ( I go to a small state school and none of my LOR writers had any connections to NU). 

To my astonishment I found a voicemail from him about two hours later and he told me to call him back. I ended up talking to him for roughly 20 minutes and he told me that I had been accepted! 

I'm not sure if I had initially been rejected (I feel like I was), but calling him seemed to have made a huge difference! I hope that gives hope to all of you out there about potentially taking the initiative and calling your top schools if you haven't heard back yet.

Also excellent job everyone else, I hope to be able to run into some of you at visitation weekends.

Wow congrats that's really awesome ! I wonder if this would have worked if you had emailed him instead ? Or whether or not you were already qualified enough to be wait- listed and the phone call simply showed them that you are very serious about your app ? I've actually heard about similar stories before- one about a grad school reject that emailed the school to ask the school why she was rejected and actually ended up getting accepted when they relooked at her app for the reason ! Really interesting to see a real life example :)

This is the most epic story I've read on gradcafe. Congratulations!! Shows the power of genuine interest and initiative that can go a long way.

Does anyone know by chance if MIT has finished giving out offers of admission? Or if they have started sending out rejections?

The FAQ section on their chem grad page says that offers of admission are typically made in mid-February; I guess (and hope) that the earlier MIT admissions posted here so far were made only to the more competitive applicants rather than to all the potentially qualified ones...hoping for the unlikely chance to get wait -listed myself :P

I'm still waiting on UIUC and Cornell. Does anyone have info on whether they're done yet?

Based on the fact that so many got accepted into UIUC already (seen on the results page, and on here), I doubt there is any more spots, which is a bummer. :/

It also seems like they stopped giving out acceptances, iirc the last acceptance was a couple weeks ago 

Based on the fact that so many got accepted into UIUC already (seen on the results page, and on here), I doubt there is any more spots, which is a bummer. :/

It also seems like they stopped giving out acceptances, iirc the last acceptance was a couple weeks ago 

Is that the Chemistry program or Chemical Physics? I applied to Chemical Physics, and I have no idea if anyone's getting into that. I'm a little disappointed, UIUC takes a lot of people from my undergraduate institute every year, I really expected an accept.

I'm curious- at what point after the first round of acceptances go out do you contact someone to see what your status is? I'd like to know, but I think it would be counterproductive to come off as pushy. 

For those who applied to columbia

No Email = Rejection

I called the graduate office

I expected as much, but damn that sucks. I don't expect much from Berkeley or MIT, so now I'm down to 0/3/4 (accepted/rejected /no response)

Still haven't heard a peep from the other schools though.

Edited by UWChemE

I also called Columbia, they're admissions coordinator said:

"I believe we have sent out all of the acceptances we will be sending. There may be a waitlist, I won't know until next week. The head of admissions is out of town this week and ultimately he decides if there will be a waitlist.

I want you to know a wait list is something that we DO consider, however I believe that we have accepted all of the students that we plan to take for this year."

:(

On a brighter note, I called Colorado, and they are still reviewing applications later this week. Same for UNC. 

UCLA said call back in March. UCSD didn't answer the phone. Didn't call Berkeley or MIT.

Edited by UWChemE

Did UNC ask which division you were in, or just, "later this week?"

I was told by the man I spoke with on the phone that not all decisions have been made and he would be able to tell me better at the end of this week, if I didn't already receive notice.

Is Caltech finished sending out admissions? Based on previous years, it seems like this is the time that rejections will start coming out.

all organic admits have for sure been notified. i believe other subfields have as well.

still no replies... only three rejections from chicago northwestern and princeton

yale - almost done giving out offers

columbia - received an e mail that they are actually done 

cal tech - done

so.. 10 more to go but feeling all rejection for the rest of the schools

Rejection from UChicago. Went to check if there was any update on my application status and found out there was one. I guess I'll be going to UT Austin for sure..

Edited by Queue