Chemistry Applications Fall 2015

ChemiKyle

I applied for the organic division. Sorry if it seems early(?). I do not know how they work, I was just happy and posting my results. Sorry

I applied to inorganic and got my acceptance letter from UCLA on Thursday. A friend of mine (also inorganic) got an acceptance yesterday.

Also does anyone know if Caltech has sent out their acceptances? I called and all I got was, "Well they have until April to decide."  I am trying to make flight arrangements for ACS (I have to book by Jan 27th) and I am departing on March 21.  Since Caltech's visit weekend goes until the morning of 21st it would make a lot more sense to fly out of CA than MSP.... I've lost all hope at this point  :unsure:

I just got a call from professor at Caltech on the 22nd and received an email shortly after. They have an additional visit weekend Feb 26-28 (deadline is Jan 30, so I assume all accepts will be out by then)

I just got a call from professor at Caltech on the 22nd and received an email shortly after. They have an additional visit weekend Feb 26-28 (deadline is Jan 30, so I assume all accepts will be out by then)

Congrats! Thanks for the info, I'm already visiting a school on the other weekend

Any clue when Harvard is going to be announcing decisions? I'm hoping today...

It's already five, if we haven't heard already we probably won't hear today. And I'm sorry to say, but I wouldn't hold my hopes up for tomorrow, as Harvard (and probably everything else in Boston, like my school!) is closed: http://www.harvard.edu/emergency

I feel you though, I am soooo impatient. It has to be this week, right?

Edited by 16777216

It's already five, if we haven't heard already we probably won't hear today. And I'm sorry to say, but I wouldn't hold my hopes up for tomorrow, as Harvard (and probably everything else in Boston, like my school!) is closed: http://www.harvard.edu/emergency

I feel you though, I am soooo impatient. It has to be this week, right?

You would think they would be out by now especially with visit weekends coming up. I hate putting all my plans on hold waiting on the off chance I actually get in.

You would think they would be out by now especially with visit weekends coming up. I hate putting all my plans on hold waiting on the off chance I actually get in.

I know, I'm in the exact same position. Other people are breathing down my neck about visits and I'm just waiting on them. I'm really worried that the snow will push it back, but hopefully not.

I applied to Yale, MIT, Princeton, Caltech, Harvard, Stanford, UW-Madison, and UNC Chapel Hill. Only one I've heard back from is Princeton and it was a rejection. I'm getting a sinking feeling I'm going to be rejected from all 8...

I applied to Yale, MIT, Princeton, Caltech, Harvard, Stanford, UW-Madison, and UNC Chapel Hill. Only one I've heard back from is Princeton and it was a rejection. I'm getting a sinking feeling I'm going to be rejected from all 8...

That's weird. I feel like we have similar qualifications... I'm surprised you haven't heard from UW Madison or UNC Chapel Hill at least.  Our areas of research interests are very different though.  Your application is definitely competitive so I think you have an excellent chance.  Although grad school admissions can be strange.  My older brother also applied to PhD programs in chem a few years ago.  He got into Madison, but not UIUC. Meanwhile his close friend got into UIUC but not Madison... so it's always hard to predict! Best of luck though!!

Edited by chemcece

Don't feel bad. I am in a worst situation that you are. I applied to 12 chemistry programs and have not heard from any school. I feel like I am getting rejected from every single one of them. I have close to 5 years of research experience in material science and biology.

Up to now, which one is better, University of Akron or Texas Tech University? I read on Wikipedia that University of Akron is a world leader in polymer research.

Hi. Wow you applied to a lot of places. I think UAkron and Texas Tech are comparable...neither of them are very big names here overall though. I'm not sure if it is really true that they are a world leader in polymer research...I looked at the Wikipedia page for UAkron and their reference in making that statement was this:

http://www.uakron.edu/cpspe/

LOL. So of course the school would say something good about themselves. I think it is best if you look at the profiles of the chem faculty members in a certain department to assess how strong the chemistry program is rather than reading Wikipedia (someone who goes to that school could just randomly update Wikipedia and say good things haha!)

From the schools you applied to on your list, I think the best choices would be Purdue, UFlorida, URochester, Colorado State... or maybe Stony Brook and Iowa State. At least, those are chem departments I hear of more frequently that I know to be stronger. It also depends what you're looking to study of course...but because your credentials are really strong, I think you have a great chance at getting into any of those schools!

Good luck with your apps!

Don't feel bad. I am in a worst situation that you are. I applied to 12 chemistry programs and have not heard from any school. I feel like I am getting rejected from every single one of them. I have close to 5 years of research experience in material science and biology.

You may try to contact some new faculties or faculties how have some 5th year grad students. Let them know you are applying and show your interest. Also remember to update grad schools your new research findings, new awards/ presentations/pubs,etc. Edited by HAF9113

Have you received a response from either schools yet? 

I got a response from UC Berkeley - they said that they don't have the information yet but almost all admissions offers have gone out (they'll take at most 1 or 2 more people). All application statuses will be announced by the end of February or even before the end of February. MIT hasn't replied yet. 

Same here..but I feel like you might have a better chance than I do since a) I only applied to top programs and B) I am international

I got a response from UC Berkeley - they said that they don't have the information yet but almost all admissions offers have gone out (they'll take at most 1 or 2 more people). All application statuses will be announced by the end of February or even before the end of February. MIT hasn't replied yet. 

So you're telling me a chance? ;) Haha.

What did you ask them? I should do this for all schools, ask if the majority of their decisions have gone out. I mean it's not even the end of January and apparently Cal is out of admission offers. Dang. That's fast.

See that's what doesn't make sense to me, if they have almost all the decisions made , why would they wait until the end of February to send the rejections? Do they have a 100 person wait list. It just seems like a waste of everyone's time. I have other things in my life going on which have to wait for a response from these schools, but they can't be bothered to keep applicants informed.

I can't see a reason for that

You should remember that this is a two way game, they can admit and reject your application but students can also accept or decline their offer. If you see the statistics (below is from Northwestern), they offered 154 admissions last year but only 53 enrolled.

http://www.tgs.northwestern.edu/documents/program-statistics/C10PH_adm_enr.pdf

I doubt they offered those 154 admissions all at once. Maybe they're sending 70 or 100 offers first. i don;t know, but the way I see is that they're waiting for some response from their top applicants first~ either they accept or decline their offers.

Gradually, the university will send their offer to "waitlisted" students until the end of March, when the enrollment rate becomes more or less is certain.

Of course for top program like Harvard, Berkeley, Stanford, and Northwestern, their decision will be finalised at a sooner date. I think other schools are still waiting for Harvard (and other top programs) to finalise their decision first which will be around february.

Edited by Maxtini

That potentially explains the lack of communication as far as acceptances, but it doesn't explain rejections already going out.

Don't the schools know who is already counted out, for low gpa, or GRE, or any other number of factors.

As someone who hasn't heard anything, but is looking at contingency options, it's very difficult not knowing if these schools are even considering me. I graduated in the fall, so for me it's grad school or get a job ASAP. The problem being, I can't start a permanent job if in half a year I'm going to grad school. I suppose it's a personal problem, but I imagine it is relevant for others as well.

Hmm... Would there be any chances that admitted students decided not to accept the offer, then they opened up the slots to more qualified candidates?