Chemistry Applications Fall 2015

ChemiKyle

I got my first acceptance offer for a PhD program last week. In their email they invited me for their open house at the end of next month. Unfortunately, there was no mention of potential funding for a visit, which I know other schools offer. I called the department office on Friday afternoon and was told that this is something they do offer if appropriate, and I should email the director of the graduate program. Sunday afternoon, I sent him an email explaining the program was my first choice and I am not currently able to afford a plane ticket to visit (as a reply to the email informing me of my acceptance). It's been 3 days now, and I haven't gotten a reply. In this situation, what would everyone suggest for followup? I work in academia now and know how fine the line is between coming off as irritating and conscientious. Should I send another email? Call? I work full-time and the nature of my job, especially over the next two days, doesn't allow me time to call during working hours tomorrow so I would have to leave a voicemail. 

Does anyone know if NYU has sent out bulk offers yet?

I just received my official letter from NYU. Whereas my previous notification of acceptance came from a POI ( I think it was like an early admission). 

So I assume they should be sending out all offers now-ish.

I have also received the official letter from NYU today. Unlike other schools, NYU's financial offer is a little bit confusing and not straightforward~

I'm worried that the amount of financial support offered will not be adequate to cover the notoriously high living expenses.

Hmm....have people who were not accepted in January received rejection letters from Harvard yet?  I know acceptances were sent out at the end of January but I still have not heard anything from them.  I know there is a 99% chance I didn't get in but it would be nice to get some closure... I didn't think it would take 2 weeks for me to get the letter from Boston (I'm on the east coast not so far away).  

So, I have heard back from 2 schools saying that they have waitlisted me.

I am guessing (and hoping) that the remaining 3 schools have also waitlisted me.

What are the chances of being admitted after being waitlisted?

I know the exceptional people have been accepted to multiple top-10 schools such as berkeley stanford MIT harvard northwestern Caltech.

Hmm....have people who were not accepted in January received rejection letters from Harvard yet?  I know acceptances were sent out at the end of January but I still have not heard anything from them.  I know there is a 99% chance I didn't get in but it would be nice to get some closure... I didn't think it would take 2 weeks for me to get the letter from Boston (I'm on the east coast not so far away).  

Yeah, I live in Boston and I've been checking my mail every day like, "this is the day I'll get the Harvard rejection" and it hasn't come. I didn't think there was a waitlist b/c it doesn't seem like anyone ever gets in after January. Maybe there is one but they just almost never let anyone in off it? Who knows. I know at least one person has gotten a rejection letter.

Yeah, I live in Boston and I've been checking my mail every day like, "this is the day I'll get the Harvard rejection" and it hasn't come. I didn't think there was a waitlist b/c it doesn't seem like anyone ever gets in after January. Maybe there is one but they just almost never let anyone in off it? Who knows. I know at least one person has gotten a rejection letter.

If the results page is accurate, it looks like they are still accepting some students (someone was admitted on Feb. 12).  It also doesn't look like massive rejections have been sent out yet, although some have been rejected via email (not mail!), which is different from what they've done in years past.

Historically it looks like all admits were notified in late January and anyone that wasn't admitted at that time was virtually rejected.  However, it looks like they may be mixing things up a bit this year...but why?

UGH. I just want a decision! Lol.

I emailed the Graduate Program Administrator and she replied on 7 Feb that "Our admission decisions have been finalized.  A letter from the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences informing you of our decision will be mailed out on Tuesday, February 10th".

Anyway, I am international, so I have not received anything yet, but I presume she was just being tactful and did not want to tell me over email that I had been rejected....

Same for Berkeley, got a reply on 7 Feb as well which said "We have completed our first round of admissions, and it is unlikely that additional offers will be made. Applicants not offered admission will be notified at the end of February or sooner."

Edited by fretting

So, I have heard back from 2 schools saying that they have waitlisted me.

I am guessing (and hoping) that the remaining 3 schools have also waitlisted me.

What are the chances of being admitted after being waitlisted?

I know the exceptional people have been accepted to multiple top-10 schools such as berkeley stanford MIT harvard northwestern Caltech.

I am not sure what the chances are of being admitted after being waitlisted, but I think the top-10 schools have probably already accounted for the fact that many of the candidates they want (i.e. the exceptional people) will likely receive multiple offers and might reject their offer, and have adjusted the number of acceptances they give out accordingly.

in any case, from what I have gathered on the results page, I doubt you will hear back from the waitlist any time soon, as people will probably want to complete all their visits before making their choice, and some even wait till the April 15th deadline to finalize their decision!

good luck!

(p.s. wish i had been waitlisted for some of the schools instead of an outright rejection, would have been good to know I was that close to making it)

I just received my official letter from NYU. Whereas my previous notification of acceptance came from a POI ( I think it was like an early admission). 

So I assume they should be sending out all offers now-ish.

Thanks. Did the email come from GSAS? Did the page on SMTS change? I am still waiting to hear from NYU to make my final decision so I am feeling a little anxiety. 

I emailed the Graduate Program Administrator and she replied on 7 Feb that "Our admission decisions have been finalized. A letter from the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences informing you of our decision will be mailed out on Tuesday, February 10th".

Anyway, I am international, so I have not received anything yet, but I presume she was just being tactful and did not want to tell me over email that I had been rejected....

Same for Berkeley, got a reply on 7 Feb as well which said "We have completed our first round of admissions, and it is unlikely that additional offers will be made. Applicants not offered admission will be notified at the end of February or sooner."

The Graduate Admissions website at Berkeley will be down for maintenance on Friday, Feb 20 from 8 am to 10 am Pacific Time. Perhaps the application result will be updated then?

Thanks. Did the email come from GSAS? Did the page on SMTS change? I am still waiting to hear from NYU to make my final decision so I am feeling a little anxiety. 

Hi, sorry for the late reply I've been on vacation. I received my official letter from NYU about 2 weeks ago via e-mail from GSAS.

Hi, sorry for the late reply I've been on vacation. I received my official letter from NYU about 2 weeks ago via e-mail from GSAS.

Thanks. As soon as I get a decision from NYU, I should be able to make a final decision on graduate school. It is really odd that NYU has the earliest application deadline among all schools I applied to (Dec 12), but is still unable to send me a decision email.

BTW, may I ask when their visitation weekends are?