SOP Length

sxk055

Hey guys,

So some of the graduate schools that I will be applying don't have a specific length requirement for their personal statement. What would be the ideal PS length? I wrote up a 3 page personal statement when I applied for the NSF fellowship and was hoping that I could use it as is for my personal statement for schools that do not have a PS length. 

Is that 3 pages double spaced or single? If it's single that sounds too long for an SOP. If the program doesn't specify, I'd stay somewhere between 500-1000 words, at least in my discipline. What's the average length based on other programs you're applying to? That's probably a good indicator on what a good length is.

Essay is 3 pages single spaced. Generally, the programs that I am applying to ask for 500-1000 words (some do allow for 2 pages). Did not want to have to cut down on my 3 pg PS. Don't really have any "fluff" in it and the professors that I have had look at have said that it is good. Could I just go ahead and email the programs how long my PS should be since they don't explicitly state it on their application site?

Essay is 3 pages single spaced. Generally, the programs that I am applying to ask for 500-1000 words (some do allow for 2 pages). Did not want to have to cut down on my 3 pg PS. Don't really have any "fluff" in it and the professors that I have had look at have said that it is good. Could I just go ahead and email the programs how long my PS should be since they don't explicitly state it on their application site?

You should go by the range that the program asked for. If they said they prefer 500 - 1000 words that's what you should submit. Take the aspects of your paper that you think will bend it you the most and construct a new paper from that. They might get irritated that they have to read a 3 page paper that's single spaced and you don't want that do you ?

I should clarify that I am considering using my 3 pg PS for programs that do not  specify a range. For programs that do ask for a 500-1000 word PS I will cut down my 3 pg PS. Which goes back to my previous question of should I email programs that don't specify a range and ask how long they feel the personal statement should be? Or, would that be frowned upon?

I know that you're considering it for programs that don't specify, I just don't think most want to see an SOP that length. Departments that specify SOPs over, say, 1000 words or 2 pages are usually outliers. I think it's a good idea for you to call and ask if they have a general length recommendation. 

As a writing tutor, I can tell you that there is nearly always "fluff" :)

The SOP used for my application was 1100 words within 2 pages single spaced for programs that did not have a guide/specification. Feedback I received typically indicate 1.5 pages to 2 pages being most ideal. If I had it my way, I would have stuck with a 1.5 page SOP but I felt it necessary to convey to the committee some personal/professional details. And so my advise is, do what you must if you feel 3 pages is necessary.

Last year my SOPs averaged 1400 words.  Not one program that I applied to specified length and based on the feed back I got from those programs Your SOP was too effin' long! was not one of them.  

Your SOP should be as long as necessary without being extraneous.   Unless there is a pre-defined length, I would not want to attend a program that would deny me because I made a few professors read two minutes longer than they had hoped to.