2015 Ecology/Evolution/Organismal/Marine Biology Applicants

Enhydra

Didn't apply to those programs, wizzyfizzy, but it looks like everyone on your list but Emory sends out invites later this month (or early Feb). Emory should have sent out invites already based on the results search, but I obviously can't confirm that.

I find it weird that in the past Columbia offered interviews/campus visits only a week ahead of time.

Off topic:  I find "EEB" to be a humorous term. Every time I come across EEB it plays out in my head eeeeeeeeeb! eeeeeeeeeb! as if a child were on a sled barreling down a hill: wheeeeee! 

Or perhaps eek! as the meh for positive excitement.  Eeb! That is awesome!  

Yes, I am that dorky.

Good luck to those with invites so far and to the rest, I am sure they will come in.  

Shadowclaw; lame on the rejections. 

Any word from Harvard OEB? Not quite sure if they even do interviews...

OEB typically does interviews/visits. Last year invites were early January (8th or 9th). Not sure how consistent they are year to year.

Edited by darwingirl

Any word from Harvard OEB? Not quite sure if they even do interviews...

My POI told me that the two days in which they invite the people they are interested is feb 9-10. I haven't heard anything formally yet either. Good luck!!

Did anyone else apply to programs in the Rutgers School of Environmental Science and Biology? It looks there are no interviews, at least for the Microbial Biology program. They just send you a letter in March telling you if you've been accepted or not. 

OEB typically does interviews/visits. Last year invites were early January (8th or 9th). Not sure how consistent they are year to year.

My POI told me that the two days in which they invite the people they are interested is feb 9-10. I haven't heard anything formally yet either. Good luck!!

Thanks! Good luck to you too Rivers!

Shadowclaw; lame on the rejections.

Way lame. I don't feel too bad since they were at the bottom of my list, but I really want some good news already!

First interview email today from Arizona State for their School of Life Sciences recruitment weekend :)

Yay! Congrats!

Just FYI - talked to my POI at Yale fes today and he said that individual Pi's are ranking their preferences currently and the admittance committee (or whatever their formal name is) is probably gunna start meeting next week!

Hey everyone,

Great idea starting this board for us EEB types!  Is anyone else going to the Berkeley IB interview weekend next week?  Does anyone have an idea about what percent of the interview candidates will be admitted from their interview pool, or any other useful knowledge about the process at Berkeley?  Good luck everyone!  Seems like a lot of notifications are coming this week and next. 

I still haven't heard anything, and I think that means I have been rejected :'(. That's very sad, as MSU was my dream school and I worked so hard to be able to be admitted there. I'm actually thinking that if indeed I'm rejected, I'll skip grad school this year an re-apply next year.

I just wish somebody would post something in the results, that way I would have closure.

I didn't apply to MSU but it seems like most of the EEB programs haven't started or finished inviting people yet so I wouldn't give up hope yet. Only ones I know that are done or almost done are Penn State, UGA, Princeton

Hello all! Shadowclaw told me about this thread so I thought I might pitch in the conversation :)

As for my application experience so far, I've had one interview PRIOR to applying - the POI scheduled a phone interview with me after I sent him an email (letter of interest, CV, GRE report, etc). It was a great conversation, half informative (background about the program, his expectations from students, what the facilities are like, timeline of the doctoral degree, etc), and half formal question & answer (asked me about my academic background, my research interests, my career goals). Overall he sounded very happy about my background, and I've also exchanged a few emails with him after this interview. Though I haven't heard back from him about my application status since I submitted my application (I informed him of the submission, and he thanked me for keeping him posted), which kinda worries me... :( 

Did anyone else have a promising interview like this before submitting the final application?

FoggyAnhinga--I had a very similar experience at all of my schools I applied to and have yet to hear back about my applications from most of them. I wouldn't worry much, depending on the school, professors generally have a range of influence/involvement with admissions decisions, so they're likely waiting to hear back just as you are. I had one POI contact me about a week ago and tell me the adcom was about to start meeting, but I haven't heard anything since. The waiting sucks but there is not much else to do these days. If you're really concerned you can always send your POI a quick email asking if they've heard any updates, but they would likely have contacted you if they had.  

Best of luck! 

FoggyAnhinga--I had a very similar experience at all of my schools I applied to and have yet to hear back about my applications from most of them. I wouldn't worry much, depending on the school, professors generally have a range of influence/involvement with admissions decisions, so they're likely waiting to hear back just as you are. I had one POI contact me about a week ago and tell me the adcom was about to start meeting, but I haven't heard anything since. The waiting sucks but there is not much else to do these days. If you're really concerned you can always send your POI a quick email asking if they've heard any updates, but they would likely have contacted you if they had.

Best of luck!

Thanks sfrie! Good luck to you too. I'm also really hoping all that money I spent on applications is all worth it...

FoggyAnhinga, I also had a similar experience to this. I had a gchat interview with a POI at Arizona State that went pretty well and I ended up getting an interview It seems like they also had an early app deadline compared to a lot of other schools, so their response time/interview dates might not be a good indicator of how other schools would be. Anyway, It seems to me that having a POI interested in you is definitely helpful! Good luck! Hopefully you will hear something soon.

I still haven't heard anything, and I think that means I have been rejected :'(. That's very sad, as MSU was my dream school and I worked so hard to be able to be admitted there. I'm actually thinking that if indeed I'm rejected, I'll skip grad school this year an re-apply next year.

I just wish somebody would post something in the results, that way I would have closure.

Keep in mind that not being invited to interview does not necessarily mean an automatic rejection.  It could mean that your application is, or will be, waitlisted, among others.