2015 Ecology/Evolution/Organismal/Marine Biology Applicants

Enhydra

I got that second application in at OSU to the Wildlife Science program. Now I'm wondering if the Environmental Science program has all of my transcripts.

ES required official copies mailed in, with all of them mailed together in one big envelope along with my TA application. So I have undergrad and grad transcripts from my current university. I requested transcripts at the beginning of the fall semester so I could scan and upload them to various applications. My transcripts came in two separate envelopes. When I requested them for my OSU application, I got one envelope. I contacted the registrar, and they told me that both were in the envelope, and that if I had received two separate envelopes in the past, it was a mistake.

So WS requires uploaded transcripts. So I requested my latest transcript to scan, and once again, I received two envelopes. Now I'm concerned. The ES department says they have everything, but I'm still worried about it, like they didn't realize there should be two transcripts. Ugh.

I know this has been asked before, but anyone hear anything from UC Davis ecology yet? It's getting pretty late, but I'm pretty sure they STILL haven't sent out any replies (good or bad) this year. Just trying to assuage the paranoia at the moment. 

So I got an acceptance and fellowship offer from OSU (yay!), and think there's a pretty good chance that's where I'll end up.  However, I haven't heard back from all of my schools, and they want me to accept or decline the offer in 2 weeks.  Time to send out emails asking when I can expect to hear back, I guess...

Congrats, mayanway! By OSU, do you mean Ohio? My current advisor got his PhD there. He really enjoyed it!

Also a belated congrats to Enhydra. I'm so happy for all of you guys who earned acceptances so far!

Edited by shadowclaw

Haha there are indeed too many OSU's. I applied to two different programs there. Both are high on my list... I really hope I get accepted! Corvallis seems like an awesome place to live, too. Congrats again!

Could someone clarify what this means exactly? 

My program has a two-step admission process, and I found out today I was offered admission to my program, which I can either accept or decline. If I accept it, my application will be reviewed further by the graduate school. Assuming I click accept, I still have until April 15th to decide, correct? 

I ask this because there is no information regarding assistantships and/or funding, which is necessary for acceptance to this program... 

Has anyone else heard back from Princeton EEB post-interview?

I've been wait listed but no one else has posted anything about acceptances or rejections... (Really, really hoping someone will decline their offer.)

Question for maybe anyone who can respond:

I heard back from a PI today about my application to UNE, saying my application made me one of the top candidates and he was still very interested in me. This is absolutely great news, and I do love the research that PI conducts. Still, with that being said, I do have another three schools to hear back from, and funding to consider when that information also potentially becomes available. 

Anyway, in my response to this PI, is it OK to say that I am still very interested in working in his lab, and that I would be interested in talking to him on the phone (he requested this), but that I also am not prepared at the current time to commit 100% one way or another to any school? I don't want to sound ungrateful or make it sound like I don't want to work in his lab or attend the school, but I also don't want to tell him this early on that yes, I absolutely will go work in his lab if the university accepts me.

Is this appropriate? Any advice? 

Edited by katsharki3

I was in a similar situation this week.  I wrote a quick note explaining that I appreciated the offer, but had a few applications out and would like to wait until I knew all of my options before committing.  PI and administrator who sent the offer email were both fine with this - realistically, they know you probably didn't just apply to their school, and most universities have a mutual agreement that they cannot require you to accept/decline an admissions/funding offer before April 15. 

I was given until Feb 15th to make a decision.  Apparently years ago universities had a code to present all the offers and then give you until April.  Unfortunately, with tight funding and fellowships POI's are now pressured to lock down students sooner.  "a bird in hand, better than 2 in the bush"...?  I was straight forward with all the schools I applied to.  Almost all of them were able to tell me where I stand.  One lab that I really would like join will not have funding news until March 15th.  Two schools are interviewing and deciding next week, one has no answer.  I am taking the "bird in hand", weigh your options, try to to get some concrete information on where you stand and best of luck.  

Rejected from FSU's MS in Biology program today. Trying to not be too disappointed, as while the PI there does some really amazing work with sharks and rays, the research fit wasn't perfect. And I got encouragement from him, though he did let me know that admittance to the biology program at FSU is highly competitive, and I never got any feedback from him after I had submitted my application and it went for committee review. 

Still makes me nervous though. My prospects at UNE seem to be good at the moment based on the e-mails I've got from my prospective PI there, and hopefully I'll talk to him on the phone soon. 

Really still crossing my fingers for VIMS though. I have fallen in love with that program unfortunately, so we'll see when I get official word from them...

That's too bad, katsharki3! I feel your pain. My rejections so far have been from schools where there wasn't as good of a research fit, but I was still disappointed that I didn't even make the cut for an interview. 

I guess I'm waitlisted at UNC... not officially, but the website says if you don't get invited to the interview weekend, you can be waitlisted. Since I haven't been rejected yet, I'm just going to go with that :P UTK is my top choice, and I'm really bummed that I didn't get an invite to the recruitment weekend (which is coming up in a few days). I don't know if interviews are a requirement, because they have zero information about the weekend on the website and to be honest, I'm scared to e-mail my POI about it. I keep hoping that I'll end up like sfrie and be accepted without an interview.

My prospects now seem best so far at OSU and FIU, but will probably come down to funding. Funding at both schools comes from TA positions or presidential fellowships (which I highly doubt I would receive with my dubious undergrad record), or alternatively an external fellowship like the NSF GRFP. I feel like I must be a good enough candidate at most of my remaining schools to not immediately be rejected, but perhaps I am not at the top of the list. Winning the GRFP would probably snag me an immediate admission to most of these programs, so I'm reeeaaally hoping I get it. I'm also hoping that their first choices all pick somewhere else, making an opening for me. I feel like that's a crappy thing to wish for and a crappy way to get into a program, but an acceptance is an acceptance, even if I am the second or third choice. 

this wait...just horrible

wizzyfizzy I could not agree more. Has anyone heard anything from their PI from: URI/ UCSC/ UMASS B?? 

I am finding it impossible to work on my Masters thesis revisions when I am so anxious about these decisions!!

There are barely any EEOB (or other related programs) acceptance/rejection postings! Is this because there are not many EEOBers on grad cafe or are EEOB admissions committees slower then everyone else? Uggghhhh the waiting is killing me! 

^ I think they're slower than usual. Is your acceptance for EEB or another bio dept?

Ecological sciences and engineering interdisciplinary program at Purdue. Would likely have Forestry and Natural Resources as home department.