Ohio Schools

Who's applying to Ohio Schools? There are 10 schools in Ohio and many are very competitive ( Ohio State, University of Akron, Cinci, Case, Kent) Anyone hear anything about these programs/ hear anything from Ohio programs??

I currently attend OSU and have applied to OSU and UCincinnati. Of the Ohio schools these two are the most highly ranked, and I would imagine the most competitive. I do know that OSU's average GPA of the class admitted last year was about a 3.8. I also know it is considered a great honor among my fellow undergrads to be accepted. The professors are great. I particularly like Dr. Ellawadi who specializes in autism. The only downside is that the speech and hearing building is a bit far away from the center of campus, which I think is less of an issue as a grad student. The city of Columbus is a great place to live with the exception of the weather. I have heard that Akron is considerably less competitive, but I don't know any more than that. 

Asha's edfind is the best place to start for figuring out how competitive a school is. The stats aren't always right - OSU is clearly off - but from friends at other schools who all talk about what their professors say I think most of it is right. Now to me more or less competitive doesn't have to just do with grades or scores as different schools look for different things and some schools favor their own students. But based purely on applications vs spots this is how I think they would rank (don't know people at all schools so all stats aren't verified and OSU is left off): Miami (7% not sure), CSU (8.5%), OU (9%), BG (12% not sure), Kent (13%), Akron (13.5%), Case (16%), UCinci (20%), and Toledo (21%). BW is a new program so who knows how competitive they will be from year to year. 

Obviously these schools all have different applicant pools but if you have low scores you would probably pick Toledo over CSU. They might have similar stats but CSU has way more applicants and might favor their own students - i.e. their students can have lower scores but for outside applicants they are looking for stellar scores. Some scores matter more than others at some places - i.e. someone on Akrons admin committee told me they don't even look at applications with less than a 4 AW on the GRE (I feel like that was an exaggeration but still). So there really is no way of knowing. Although OSU is a really good school and I'd imagine the hardest to get into but I don't know anyone there who knows admin rates. 

Ohio has a lot of good programs, it seems. What do people know about OU's program? What do they focus on? Also, what is Athens like? I've lived out of state and in a big city for many years ... OU sounds great but maybe Athens, a small college town, would be too big a shock? (I'm hoping someone tells me it's wonderful and not just 18-21 y. o. :)

I don't know much about OU's speech program, but I do know Athens well. My brother went there for his undergrad degree, and I almost went there (ended up going somewhere else - I grew up in his shadow and he had quite the reputation there lol). Athens is a really fun college town. It would definitely be a culture shock, but I think you'd still enjoy it. Their main little strip (Court St) has a ton of bars (OU kids LOVE to party) and fun restaurants and shops. The closest city is probably Columbus, OH. I really do love Athens and I think I really would have been happy there, and I'm from a suburb just outside of a large city. It is in the middle of nowhere, but it kind of creates it's own kind of community.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey y'all!

Anyone have more information on CSU? It's one of my top choices and looking for more info on when they send out decisions. After some major digging on the results search it looks like they haven't notified anyone until early April...that's sooooo late! I'm hoping they will make decisions earlier this year.

Any insight would be most appreciated!!  :D

I applied to CSU last year and I was wait-listed in late April or early May. Found out in late June that I was rejected. The waiting period will absolutely be a long one for CSU. I have applied to Cleveland State again and will be going through the extended wait time like everyone else.

Has anyone else who applied to OSU received an email about a Graduate Assistance Form they need to fill out?    Wondering if this is going out to all the applicants.  

It was from the financial aid office. Did you submit the FAFSA? It may have nothing to do with a spot in the program but of course it got my hopes up.

Has anyone else who applied to OSU received an email about a Graduate Assistance Form they need to fill out?    Wondering if this is going out to all the applicants.  

I have a graduate assistance form (it isn't specific for the department but for graduate students in general) under my to-do list on my buckeyelink account. I don't know if this is the same form or not? 

Yes, that is the form I was talking about.  So, I'm sure it has nothing to do with any likelihood of getting accepted.  

@jwurth I see you are an undergrad there.  Have you received a response from them?  My application is still pending.  

Did not receive a graduate assistance form I guess you might be considered for a position.

I see you were accepted there.  Have you checked your buckeye link to see if the form is in your to-do list? 

Yes, that is the form I was talking about.  So, I'm sure it has nothing to do with any likelihood of getting accepted.  

@jwurth I see you are an undergrad there.  Have you received a response from them?  My application is still pending.  

Yes I have, I received an email a week or so ago.

The forms showed up on my to-do list first (really confused me) and then the status of my application changed.  

• 2 weeks later...

I got wait listed to University of Cincinnati. Does anyone know how many people are on the wait list? I am trying to estimate how likely I am to be accepted vs. rejected. Thanks. 

I'm waiting to hear from Ohio State too. As of 30 minutes ago or so, no one has posted about hearing from OSU on the SLP acceptance thread so decisions or most of them seem like they haven't been sent out yet... I guess?

Fingers crossed! :)

I'm waiting to hear from Ohio State too. As of 30 minutes ago or so, no one has posted about hearing from OSU on the SLP acceptance thread so decisions or most of them seem like they haven't been sent out yet... I guess?

Fingers crossed! :)

People have posted on the results page http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=speech+Ohio+state&t=a&o=d

I emailed OSU last week and was told that they have accepted students and rejected students and that they may not be able to offer admission to any more students until after they 15th.  She recommended if I have been accepted elsewhere to accept my offer.  So it seems like those of us who have not heard are essentially waitlisted.

I know this isn't the best news but I hope it is helpful.  Best of luck to you.    

thanks, emmmyd. it sounds like we've been (effectively) waitlisted then ... huh. 

wonder what happens after the 15th, when things re-shuffle? you'd have to think some people jump if their status changes from WL to accepted ...

best of luck to you, too!

Anyone here still waiting to hear from Cleveland State? Lots of waitlists and an acceptance on the results page...I have an acceptance at one of my top schools, so if I'm rejected I won't be heartbroken, but I still want to know!  :wacko: