2016 Canadian SLP Thread

On November 16, 2015 at 10:40:20 PM, lindzzz said:

Forgive me if this is a silly question.  I'm filling out the ORPAS application for UWO - I'm at the volunteer experience section.  I don't see any areas for work experience (I'm an SLP assistant) - so would I just put that in the volunteer experience section??

I'm assuming you can just put it under volunteer experience- that's what I was thinking of doing. Does anyone else know if we can put work experience under volunteer for ORPAS? 

On 11/16/2015, 10:40:15, speechies said:

wow I never knew about this ! Itd be nice if they write this somewhere. Did you hear it from someone cause its not on website. I took a course in the summer that would count so does that mean they are going to take my fall winter and summer marks and take the average ?? So confused now !!

Hello my fellow caffeine lover!

I am so sorry I didn't follow up about this. Been crazy busy. I will email her right now and let you know what she says if she replies ! (i am sure she is busy too!)

2 minutes ago, speechies said:

Hello my fellow caffeine lover!

I am so sorry I didn't follow up about this. Been crazy busy. I will email her right now and let you know what she says if she replies ! (i am sure she is busy too!)

Just to follow this up...it seems this is in the handbook

Where grades must be extracted from a term to achieve the equivalent of 10 full courses, the average of that term (e.g., your second year) will be used.

16 hours ago, speechies said:

Just to follow this up...it seems this is in the handbook

Where grades must be extracted from a term to achieve the equivalent of 10 full courses, the average of that term (e.g., your second year) will be used.

yes... so the problem with that is... the second year..? so fall and winter? that makes no sense, why is the whole year averaged? shouldnt they just average a semester? ei, the summer, or fall or winter? 

i think its silly to do it that way, but nothing we can do about it now

I've finally started tackling my applications properly now that Fall '15 finals are over, and I noticed that for Dalhousie, if you want to request references electronically, you apparently have to also enter information about how you intend to fund your graduate studies -- scholarships and loans, and so on. This seems kind of ridiculous. I definitely haven't already started applying for scholarship funding. Is this unusual? I wish there was a way of sending off my reference requests before getting funding sorted out, since I'd like to maximize the amount of time my references have to write something up.

2 hours ago, treaclemineroad said:

I've finally started tackling my applications properly now that Fall '15 finals are over, and I noticed that for Dalhousie, if you want to request references electronically, you apparently have to also enter information about how you intend to fund your graduate studies -- scholarships and loans, and so on. This seems kind of ridiculous. I definitely haven't already started applying for scholarship funding. Is this unusual? I wish there was a way of sending off my reference requests before getting funding sorted out, since I'd like to maximize the amount of time my references have to write something up.

Hey there!!

So I read somewhere in the Dalhousie instructions that basically they just want to have an idea of how you plan to fund your studies. So for myself, I put loans, line of credit, savings, and parent help if needed (not really true, but gives them assurance) :P The U of A actually asks for similar information. I don't really like it because for one I don't get how you can apply for scholarships before even getting into grad school!? And do they have preference for people with funding/scholarships? I don't know. Not a fan. But I wouldn't stress about the question too much. 

11 minutes ago, lindzzz said:

Hey there!!

So I read somewhere in the Dalhousie instructions that basically they just want to have an idea of how you plan to fund your studies. So for myself, I put loans, line of credit, savings, and parent help if needed (not really true, but gives them assurance) :P The U of A actually asks for similar information. I don't really like it because for one I don't get how you can apply for scholarships before even getting into grad school!? And do they have preference for people with funding/scholarships? I don't know. Not a fan. But I wouldn't stress about the question too much. 

Oh OK, so you didn't get into the specifics (or did you?) of the funding, just the general categories? Hopefully that will work just fine. I hadn't run into that section of the U of A application because the U of A application is a bit more wieldy in general, doesn't make me fill out completely unrelated information in order to send out reference requests. Makes me give them some points, honestly. I hate it when universities have bad websites.

It does seem bizarre to ask after scholarships this early, when a lot of scholarships are specific to the school you're attending. I can see how it would be important to know that we can pay for it, but at the same time, why does it matter where the money is coming from? Weird.

Anyway, thanks! That makes me feel better about that section.

Hi everyone, I am a first year student at Dalhousie, and I used this site a lot last year while I was applying to schools. If any of you have any questions about Dal, feel free to shoot me a message :) 

11 hours ago, treaclemineroad said:

@OverCaffeinated, I'm not applying to any American schools so I don't have an answer for you (sorry) but I'm curious about your signature. What's the CSDCAS bit all about, if you don't mind me asking?

hey, csdcas is the centralized service for applying to american schools (some if not a big chunk of them) its like orpas, except orpas only does ontario and csdcas does all of america

ps. the @ didnt tag me.. :/ 

Edited by OverCaffeinated

12 hours ago, OverCaffeinated said:

hey, csdcas is the centralized service for applying to american schools (some if not a big chunk of them) its like orpas, except orpas only does ontario and csdcas does all of america

ps. the @ didnt tag me.. :/ 

Ohh OK, cool. So US schools compute your GPA differently than Ontario does? 

And yes, I know, I wasn't trying to tag you. You're fairly active on this thread, so I figured you'd see my message :)

Hey all,

I think I am read to press the submit button for my application,

I was just wondering about when you review and submit, after it shows my volunteer experience it says :

This information was provided in Experiences:

No information provided

This information was provided in Awards and Scholarships:

No information provided

I just want to make sure there really is no where to enter these things?

Hi Everyone! I'm applying for U of A, and I am quite confused with the deadline. The csd website says that February 1 is their deadline; however, it says in the Canadian SLP website (http://www.canadianslp.com/home-page/universities/universityofalberta) that U of A's deadline is on the 15th. I am hoping that it's on the 15th of February, because last November (around the last 2 weeks), I just learned that I still need to take the TOEFL. To my surprise, the only schedule available for TOEFL is January 30th, which is 2 days before Feb. 1! I am so stressed out because if it's the first then they might not accept my application:wacko:

Any advice on this would be really helpful. 

47 minutes ago, psycoleinguist said:

Hi Everyone! I'm applying for U of A, and I am quite confused with the deadline. The csd website says that February 1 is their deadline; however, it says in the Canadian SLP website (http://www.canadianslp.com/home-page/universities/universityofalberta) that U of A's deadline is on the 15th. I am hoping that it's on the 15th of February, because last November (around the last 2 weeks), I just learned that I still need to take the TOEFL. To my surprise, the only schedule available for TOEFL is January 30th, which is 2 days before Feb. 1! I am so stressed out because if it's the first then they might not accept my application:wacko:

Any advice on this would be really helpful. 

Hey!

Originally the U of A website said February 15, and then they changed it to February 1. On the applygrad application site it also says February 1. Sooo... Unfortunately I'd say the deadline is February 1 :/

16 minutes ago, lindzzz said:

Hey!

Originally the U of A website said February 15, and then they changed it to February 1. On the applygrad application site it also says February 1. Sooo... Unfortunately I'd say the deadline is February 1 :/

Hey lindzzz! 

This is what I'm worried about. The TOEFL score and the official transcript are the only ones I need to upload in my application; the rest is done (including recommendation letters). The transcript is not a problem, so it is just this. I already emailed the admission committee, and I will be waiting for their reply on the fourth. I know I'm at a disadvantage, but I do hope that they would at least wait for my TOEFL scores.

12 minutes ago, psycoleinguist said:

Hey lindzzz! 

This is what I'm worried about. The TOEFL score and the official transcript are the only ones I need to upload in my application; the rest is done (including recommendation letters). The transcript is not a problem, so it is just this. I already emailed the admission committee, and I will be waiting for their reply on the fourth. I know I'm at a disadvantage, but I do hope that they would at least wait for my TOEFL scores.

Sent you message!

8 hours ago, speechies said:

Hey all,

I think I am read to press the submit button for my application,

I was just wondering about when you review and submit, after it shows my volunteer experience it says :

This information was provided in Experiences:

No information provided

This information was provided in Awards and Scholarships:

No information provided

I just want to make sure there really is no where to enter these things?

those are for ot and other programs. just make sure your volunteer experiences are filled in

can you let me know, after you submit if there is an option for uploading a doc

37 minutes ago, OverCaffeinated said:

those are for ot and other programs. just make sure your volunteer experiences are filled in

can you let me know, after you submit if there is an option for uploading a doc

No, no option for uploading documents

5 minutes ago, lindzzz said:

Really!? I'll have to go look again! That's the case with McGill

yeah cause i wanted to upload my resume cause I think its entirely unfair that i cant add things like awards and stuff, so they said if i wanted to i could upload it but after the submission process. i obviously havent submitted it yet though

44 minutes ago, OverCaffeinated said:

yeah cause i wanted to upload my resume cause I think its entirely unfair that i cant add things like awards and stuff, so they said if i wanted to i could upload it but after the submission process. i obviously havent submitted it yet though

Okay I have good news!! I just logged back into ORPAS, and there's an option that says you can use the secure applicant messaging system to make changes to your app.. and when you click on that link there is an option to where you can upload your resume! yay!