PhD Biomedical/Bioengineering/EE Fall 2016 Profiles

Nallapar

5 hours ago, buchephalus said:

University list: Carnegie Mellon (just had interview, acceptances to go out this week), Cornell University, MIT, Harvard, Lehigh University (tentative proposal, awaiting application deadline to close before I hear back officially), University of Chicago IME, Georgia Tech 

What department did you apply to at CMU, if you don't mind me asking? I applied BME and haven't heard anything, so if you applied BME also and already had an interview, I'm guessing that is bad news for me... 

11 hours ago, kales said:

What department did you apply to at CMU, if you don't mind me asking? I applied BME and haven't heard anything, so if you applied BME also and already had an interview, I'm guessing that is bad news for me... 

Biomedical Engineering but the PI I want to work with is joint in the chemistry department. He said they are finalizing admissions in the next week. 

On 1/5/2016 at 9:40 AM, tuckbro said:

For those waiting for news from MIT BE, word in the halls is that the interview invitations should be going out this week!  Good luck to everyone!

I did not get an email so I am assuming I was rejected. They do not have other interview invites throughout the month correct?

12 minutes ago, pali123 said:

I did not get an email so I am assuming I was rejected. They do not have other interview invites throughout the month correct?

I am so sorry to hear you did not get an invite, but if you didn't it means that your interests do not match up with their current lab openings and you will find the right fit for you, do not worry!

To my knowledge, if you did not get an invite then you will not be accepted.  They accept the majority of those whom they invite and have a very high offer acceptance rate.  I cannot imagine they would accept someone they had not interviewed, unfortunately.

They send out their rejections as soon as they hear back from those who were invited, presumably in case they feel they need to invite more because people have declined to interview, but that would be surprising I think.  They usually give the invitees two weeks or so to accept or decline the interview and if they have enough people, then they send out the rejections.

Edited by tuckbro

Ah that makes sense. If people reject the invitation then they have the choice to invite off of a "wait list" of sorts then if they want to. I did not get an invite either but I was not expecting one my GPA is fairly horrendous. 

(Because of old classes I took in a different major long ago. Sigh.)

Edited by lethalallele

On 1/5/2016 at 9:40 AM, tuckbro said:

For those waiting for news from MIT BE, word in the halls is that the interview invitations should be going out this week!  Good luck to everyone!

That is okay I hope to hear back at least from a few good schools! I honestly trust the application process so I am not too bummed out. I will be depressed if I get rejected everywhere. 

4 hours ago, buchephalus said:

Biomedical Engineering but the PI I want to work with is joint in the chemistry department. He said they are finalizing admissions in the next week. 

I'm not expecting to get accepted, but it would obviously be very exciting if I did. Thanks!

Have all the MIT BE interviews been sent out, or are they being sent out over the course of a few days? Last year I got my interview on Jan. 8th, but I know some people got them earlier than I did by ~1-2 days. I'm asking on behalf of some friends. Thanks!

1 hour ago, microbiologynerd said:

Have all the MIT BE interviews been sent out, or are they being sent out over the course of a few days? Last year I got my interview on Jan. 8th, but I know some people got them earlier than I did by ~1-2 days. I'm asking on behalf of some friends. Thanks!

Yes, all invitations have been sent. Though luck for us :(

Tuckbro- did you apply/get in last year? I did as well although I chose to go somewhere else at the end haha.

Last year I thought I heard some people receive interview requests ~Jan 3rd-4th, then others (including myself) receive requests Jan 8th-9th?  I think the results search in gradcafe also shows this. Do you remember hearing this at interviews?

3 minutes ago, microbiologynerd said:

Tuckbro- did you apply/get in last year? I did as well although I chose to go somewhere else at the end haha.

Last year I thought I heard some people receive interview requests ~Jan 3rd-4th, then others (including myself) receive requests Jan 8th-9th?  I think the results search in gradcafe also shows this. Do you remember hearing this at interviews?

I'm a second year. We all got ours simultaneously in 2014. I would call as things change from year to year sometimes. 

I didn't even see this thread- I've been posting in the other BME thread floating around here! I got an interview for MIT's BE program - so excited!! I'm really nervous because I have to ask for an alternate weekend. @tuckbro, do you know anything about alternate interview weekends at MIT?

2 minutes ago, Extra Espresso said:

I didn't even see this thread- I've been posting in the other BME thread floating around here! I got an interview for MIT's BE program - so excited!! I'm really nervous because I have to ask for an alternate weekend. @tuckbro, do you know anything about alternate interview weekends at MIT?

Congrats! Yeah the other thread is in the Applications forum. Maybe it could be moved/merged?

4 minutes ago, Extra Espresso said:

Congrats!   I was able to go the main weekend along with most of the invitees.  I do know there was a small group that went on a different weekend.    

1 minute ago, tuckbro said:

Congrats!   I was able to go the main weekend along with most of the invitees.  I do know there was a small group that went on a different weekend.    

Thank you!! I am so excited about MIT's program, so I really want to make the interview work. That makes me feel better that there was a small group on a different weekend - hopefully it won't affect my chances!

2 minutes ago, Extra Espresso said:

Thank you!! I am so excited about MIT's program, so I really want to make the interview work. That makes me feel better that there was a small group on a different weekend - hopefully it won't affect my chances!

If you can shuffle things to make it, I would.  Not sure it would affect your chances, I would hope not,  but I think you will miss out on a lot of cohort bonding and not sure they will do the psoter presentations with the smaller group.

5 minutes ago, tuckbro said:

If you can shuffle things to make it, I would.  Not sure it would affect your chances, I would hope not,  but I think you will miss out on a lot of cohort bonding and not sure they will do the psoter presentations with the smaller group.

If I could, I 100% would. I explained the situation in my response to the invitation, so I'm trying to have hope! Thank you - that does make me feel better. 

3 hours ago, Extra Espresso said:

Congrats Extra Espresso! 

So is no news from CMU at this point bad news? Haven't heard anything about interviews.

I have been contacted by 2 different professors at Harvard now, though, so at least I've got one that's looking good.

18 hours ago, nallapar said:

Congrats Extra Espresso! 

Thank you!!

2 hours ago, pterosaur said:

So is no news from CMU at this point bad news? Haven't heard anything about interviews.

I have been contacted by 2 different professors at Harvard now, though, so at least I've got one that's looking good.

I'm hardcore jealous, pterosaur! I'm hoping it's just that the professors I am interested in haven't contacted people. *crosses fingers* 

Either way, I've got less than two weeks before the other schools I am interested in start sending notifications, so hopefully good news is on the way!