PhD Biomedical/Bioengineering/EE Fall 2016 Profiles

Nallapar

11 hours ago, Haiqing said:

After getting two rejection from UCB and Stanford BioE, I finally got an invitation from Caltech BioE, which was surprising to me.. I thought I fit UCB and Stanford much more, considering the POI's research and my research background. But I forgot to submit my official transcripts to Stanford and I missed my official Toefl to UCB, which might be the reason for rejection.

Can I ask what interview dates you were given for Caltech BioE? I received interview dates for Feb 25, 26, 27 (not sure if it's all 3 or if I have to pick one), but these dates conflict with Stanford. I saw on the results survey that someone got a Caltech BioE interview for Feb 4-6, so I'm hoping that they may be able to reschedule.

11 minutes ago, frozencurry said:

Can I ask what interview dates you were given for Caltech BioE? I received interview dates for Feb 25, 26, 27 (not sure if it's all 3 or if I have to pick one), but these dates conflict with Stanford. I saw on the results survey that someone got a Caltech BioE interview for Feb 4-6, so I'm hoping that they may be able to reschedule.

Mine is also Feb 4-6

1 hour ago, aegis921 said:

Can I ask how you know you were rejected from MIT ChemE? As far as I can tell, official rejection letters haven't been sent out yet. 

I just assumed they rejected me since other people got the offer already.

3 hours ago, pali123 said:

@Haiqing Have you been officially rejected from UT Austin CHE? I have not heard back yet and I thought they released all rejections Friday?

Yes, I have received their rejection email.

16 minutes ago, Haiqing said:

Yes, I have received their rejection email.

I am sorry to hear that.. their graduate adviser is pretty harsh and I am sure I will be rejected soon.

37 minutes ago, pali123 said:

I am sorry to hear that.. their graduate adviser is pretty harsh and I am sure I will be rejected soon.

Since you haven't received anything, I think you still have a chance. Maybe on the waiting list?

38 minutes ago, Haiqing said:

Since you haven't received anything, I think you still have a chance. Maybe on the waiting list?

Well I have a professor who is really interested in me but she said she would get back to me in March. I guess my acceptance is contingent upon whether or not she is willing to take me on? 

36 minutes ago, pali123 said:

Well I have a professor who is really interested in me but she said she would get back to me in March. I guess my acceptance is contingent upon whether or not she is willing to take me on? 

I think maybe you can contact the department to see if they send out all the offer already.

6 hours ago, frozencurry said:

BTW, do you have any idea about the post-interview acceptance rate of caltech bioE?

On January 23, 2016 at 3:38 PM, Rory Williams said:

If I haven't heard anything from MIT BE, should I assume I have been rejected? Are they still sending interview invitations? Thanks!

They told me 2 days ago that they are still reviewing some applications and the last round of invitations and/or rejections will go out at the latest mid-February

Just received a call from Stanford and was invited to interview! Wasn't expecting to receive anything (especially a phone call) on a Sunday.

Congrats!!! I hope to hear from them soon, do you mind sharing your stats? 

52 minutes ago, pali123 said:

Congrats!!! I hope to hear from them soon, do you mind sharing your stats? 

I will PM you!

22 minutes ago, Nallapar said:

@aegis921 which ddepartment? Congrats BTW! 

The BioE program. It seems that different professors are sending these invitations out (the professor that called me was one of my POI), so I think other applicants will be hearing back tomorrow. It's too bad the interview weekend conflicts with those of two other schools I'm already committed to visiting :/ 

3 hours ago, aegis921 said:

Just received a call from Stanford and was invited to interview! Wasn't expecting to receive anything (especially a phone call) on a Sunday.

Same!! One of my POI called me, and I am sure I sounded completely unprofessional because I was so caught off guard and excited. Definitely wasn't expecting it on a Sunday!

3 hours ago, Haiqing said:

BTW, do you have any idea about the post-interview acceptance rate of caltech bioE?

Unfortunately not, I was wondering the same thing too.

I will PM you!

The BioE program. It seems that different professors are sending these invitations out (the professor that called me was one of my POI), so I think other applicants will be hearing back tomorrow. It's too bad the interview weekend conflicts with those of two other schools I'm already committed to visiting :/ 

Tell me about it. I really hope schools don't see it as a sign of disinterest if we ask for a possible alternate date - it's not that I'm not interested, you just emailed me second...

23 minutes ago, frozencurry said:

Unfortunately not, I was wondering the same thing too.

Tell me about it. I really hope schools don't see it as a sign of disinterest if we ask for a possible alternate date - it's not that I'm not interested, you just emailed me second...

I think you guys are getting stressed for nothing. My understanding is that professors do know students have to face these situations, and are almost all the time accommodating. If someone gets angry with you for not attending on a certain date, I do not think he/she will be a good advisor anyway.

Edited by Nallapar

50 minutes ago, Extra Espresso said:

Same!! One of my POI called me, and I am sure I sounded completely unprofessional because I was so caught off guard and excited. Definitely wasn't expecting it on a Sunday!

Based on your research interests, I'm going to venture a guess that we were contacted by the same person ;) 

Just now, aegis921 said:

Based on your research interests, I'm going to venture a guess that we were contacted by the same person ;) 

Ooh, that's awesome! It's too bad you can't make it to the main weekend- I'd love to meet someone else with similar research interests! :) 

1 minute ago, Extra Espresso said:

Ooh, that's awesome! It's too bad you can't make it to the main weekend- I'd love to meet someone else with similar research interests! :) 

Yeah. But I believe we will be at the same Hopkins weekend, so I think I will see you there! Would be great to meet another ChemE interested in the transition to BME. 

For those who received a phone call invite from Stanford BioE interviews.. do any of you have applications that say incomplete? I am fairly sure I submitted everything but the website still says they never received my official transcript (I understand this may not be fully updated)... I just hope this doesn't get held against me. 

11 minutes ago, double espresso said:

For those who received a phone call invite from Stanford BioE interviews.. do any of you have applications that say incomplete? I am fairly sure I submitted everything but the website still says they never received my official transcript (I understand this may not be fully updated)... I just hope this doesn't get held against me. 

Have you emailed them to check? Although I applied for EE, one of my transcripts was marked as unofficial earlier so I emailed them and they changed it.

42 minutes ago, double espresso said:

Mine still says incomplete as well :(

Hi there! Long time lurker-- huge congrats to everyone in this thread.
Just received a call from a POI at Stanford BioE. SO ecstatic!!!! He said they will send out the e-mails later today.

However, the interview weekend for Stanford conflicts with another interview weekend, in which the school has already bought me airplane tickets. Stanford is one of my top choices, so I would much rather go to that visiting weekend.

What is the right thing to do here? Does anyone know of people who had to decline a visiting weekend after accepting the initial invitation? I was planning to e-mail the other school and explain the situation, offer to pay the cancellation fee, and ask for an alternative weekend.

Thank you!