PhD Biomedical/Bioengineering/EE Fall 2016 Profiles

Nallapar

16 hours ago, h8thewinter said:

So, I'm not hearing back from my schools. Do you guys think it is a good idea to email the Professors I contacted before I submitted my application to ask about the status of my application? And does anyone know if things changed after people got nsf?

Short answers: No, definitely don't email and ask. Yes, people have been admitted straight up after getting NSF. Coordinators will scour the list once it comes out ~March 30th. That might be an excuse to email the coordinator and let them know of your continued interest at that point, but not this early. 

50 minutes ago, disasterprone said:

Short answers: No, definitely don't email and ask. Yes, people have been admitted straight up after getting NSF. Coordinators will scour the list once it comes out ~March 30th. That might be an excuse to email the coordinator and let them know of your continued interest at that point, but not this early. 

I think you might have overlooked their first question, but I agree with your answer to the second.

From what I can tell, some other people on this forum have received updates on their application by contacting graduate coordinators and/or professors.

Edited by aegis921

On 2/12/2016 at 7:00 PM, h8thewinter said:

So, I'm not hearing back from my schools. Do you guys think it is a good idea to email the Professors I contacted before I submitted my application to ask about the status of my application? And does anyone know if things changed after people got nsf?

I'd contact the grad coordinator/admin first and then professors. Sometimes professors aren't as in the loop as the admins who are actually sending out the admission decisions.

9 hours ago, aegis921 said:

I think you might have overlooked their first question, but I agree with your answer to the second.

From what I can tell, some other people on this forum have received updates on their application by contacting graduate coordinators and/or professors.

43 minutes ago, madbiochemist said:

I'd contact the grad coordinator/admin first and then professors. Sometimes professors aren't as in the loop as the admins who are actually sending out the admission decisions.

I still stand by my answer for two reasons: 1) h8thewinter specifically asked about contacting professors 2) he/she asked if it was a "good idea." 

All I've heard from faculty and coordinators is that "checking in" regarding application status is nagging and terribly annoying. You certainly can and you might get an update, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea. Emailing grad coordinators might be okay if you've already interviewed and it's been like a month without hearing an admission decision. If you haven't gotten an interview notification, bothering the faculty/coordinator is a quick way to the reject pile if you're not there already. I'd also agree with madbiochemist in that admins and professors aren't always on the same page with notifications, but I'd say that's most relevant after interviewing. Hope this helps clarify.

On 2/13/2016 at 11:07 PM, disasterprone said:

I still stand by my answer for two reasons: 1) h8thewinter specifically asked about contacting professors 2) he/she asked if it was a "good idea." 

All I've heard from faculty and coordinators is that "checking in" regarding application status is nagging and terribly annoying. You certainly can and you might get an update, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea. Emailing grad coordinators might be okay if you've already interviewed and it's been like a month without hearing an admission decision. If you haven't gotten an interview notification, bothering the faculty/coordinator is a quick way to the reject pile if you're not there already. I'd also agree with madbiochemist in that admins and professors aren't always on the same page with notifications, but I'd say that's most relevant after interviewing. Hope this helps clarify.

I disagree. I know that this is program specific, but last year UCSD had a pile of applicants to their BME PhD (I was apparently in this pile), where if you called or emailed to inquire about the status of your application you would be accepted into the Masters program even though you'd applied for the PhD. I didn't call, because I had offers already and didn't really care. If I hadn't had any offers, it would have been appealing. Students in the program are often able to transition into the PhD after they finish classes, so it would have been fine. I would email the program admin in late February-March if you haven't heard anything. It's still a bit early yet, especially if the program doesn't have interviews.

I wish I could give you all a hug and tell you everything will be okay. I know last year when I was applying I was a huge wreck until April. If you're anxious, I feel like you should stop checking grad cafe. I didn't listen to my own advice, but I probably should have. Checking the results won't make the admission information come any faster. The admissions process almost over; just 2 more months. Try to enjoy your time as an undergrad/masters/post-bac. Grad school can be really crazy.  

As you're flying around the country trying to decide your future, try to take care of yourselves. All will be well. You'll end up exactly where you need to be. <3

I'm looking for some advice. I've been accepted to Harvard SEAS, which is my top choice. I'm currently overseas, so I'll be doing a whirlwind visit of all my acceptances/interview in a week at the end of the month, including visiting Harvard. However, they're also really strongly encouraging me to come for the SEAS official visit day on March 25. Since SEAS only pays $500 in airfare, a potential advisor even offered to cover the additional airfare cost! But I'm not sure if it's worth going. I hope to make my decision after my visit week, and I don't know if it's worth a trans-Atlantic trip for a one-day visit, especially since I'll be taking a bunch of time off right afterwards when my family comes to visit me (I'm doing a research masters right now).

Any thoughts on whether I should do the visit?

On 2/16/2016 at 7:48 AM, madbiochemist said:

I wish I could give you all a hug and tell you everything will be okay. I know last year when I was applying I was a huge wreck until April. If you're anxious, I feel like you should stop checking grad cafe. I didn't listen to my own advice, but I probably should have. Checking the results won't make the admission information come any faster. The admissions process almost over; just 2 more months. Try to enjoy your time as an undergrad/masters/post-bac. Grad school can be really crazy.  

As you're flying around the country trying to decide your future, try to take care of yourselves. All will be well. You'll end up exactly where you need to be. <3

Thank you for this! I was preparing last night to leave for interviews and kind of panicking about everything when I saw your post and it helped me out. :D

On 2/17/2016 at 6:24 AM, pterosaur said:

I'm looking for some advice. I've been accepted to Harvard SEAS, which is my top choice. I'm currently overseas, so I'll be doing a whirlwind visit of all my acceptances/interview in a week at the end of the month, including visiting Harvard. However, they're also really strongly encouraging me to come for the SEAS official visit day on March 25. Since SEAS only pays $500 in airfare, a potential advisor even offered to cover the additional airfare cost! But I'm not sure if it's worth going. I hope to make my decision after my visit week, and I don't know if it's worth a trans-Atlantic trip for a one-day visit, especially since I'll be taking a bunch of time off right afterwards when my family comes to visit me (I'm doing a research masters right now).

Official visits are a lot of fun. I think you will be missing out if you go on an off day when they don't have many things planned. Also, you won't get a chance to see and get to know your cohort (I personally have met a lot of really cool people at these visits). In my opinion, if everything is being paid for, you might as well go; there isn't really a downside except for the time you spend traveling. Someone else might have a different opinion though.

On 2/17/2016 at 3:24 PM, pterosaur said:

I'm in the same boat for GATech. It's 18 hours each way for me, and I'll be paying ~$1000 out of pocket, so it's just not worth visiting only one university.

5 hours ago, jjjjjelly said:

Has anyone heard back about an alternate interview date at Columbia? It's been a while and they haven't given me a definite answer yet...

I emailed last week and they said they're still scheduling with professors to see what the best time would be.

8 hours ago, Edotdl said:

Official acceptance to JHU BME, for those that interviewed.

Congrats! That was really quick. Didn't their second weekend just finish? I wonder if they are staggering acceptances, or if they just really liked you.

55 minutes ago, aegis921 said:

Yeah, the second interviews ended Friday. They told us we should expect to hear back in around one week. It probably depends on your focus group. Didn't imaging only attend the first interviews?

Yeah. Imaging all interviewed the first week. We were told that we would hear back within a week or two after the second weekend ended. Still, I am surprised people are hearing back so soon. I haven't received an email so I'm holding out hope.