PhD Biomedical/Bioengineering/EE Fall 2016 Profiles

Nallapar

1 hour ago, aksiksi said:

I don't think so to be frank. They are aware that people apply to multiple colleges, and need to make a decision. Just explain your situation over the phone and I'm sure they'll at least give you a hint of what to expect. Also, it's easier to wiggle out info over the phone than by sending an email. Good luck!

Calling was easily the best decision I've made this application season. Thank you so much, it's like all my anxiety melted away (for now anyway).

For anyone who's interested, Rutgers should be posting results end of next week. Meaning March 24-26th. Now I can focus on finishing my capstone instead of refreshing my admission page every hour. :lol:

1 hour ago, ad0814 said:

Calling was easily the best decision I've made this application season. Thank you so much, it's like all my anxiety melted away (for now anyway).

For anyone who's interested, Rutgers should be posting results end of next week. Meaning March 24-26th. Now I can focus on finishing my capstone instead of refreshing my admission page every hour. :lol:

I just got my email telling me i was accepted to masters (applied for Ph. D). So Rutgers results may start flowing in for everyone else as well. 

Did anyone (except HHMI applicants) who had interviews at U Penn Bioengineering hear anything yet? It's been like 3 weeks since the second interview weekend and they were saying the results would be sent out in max 2 weeks.

15 hours ago, ad0814 said:

I'm glad to hear that! It's really hard to focus when you're uncertain. Good luck with your senior project!

Hello, All, 

I'm 22 years old, graduated from UC San Diego in 2014. Here's my poor profile:

GRE: 149/158/4.0 

Domestic/International (TOEFL/IELTS): 90

UG GPA: 2.96 (University of California, San Diego, Class of 2014 with Biochemistry and Cell Biology

Masters GPA: N/A

Research experience:

- 3 Years of Undergraduate Research Experience

- 2 Years of industrial/Medical Device Experience

Research publications, patents, conferences:

- 2 Conferences Publications (Germany, San Diego, San Francisco)

- 4 US patents (related to medical device)

PHD intended specialization

BioMEMS/Life Support/Nanoengineering/Medical Device Engineering/Computational Biology

University list:

Applied (8/8)

1) USC, BME 2) UC Irvine BME, 3) Keck BME, 4) Claremont Graduate University MS Information System and Decision Science, 5) CSU-Fullerton: MS Information System Data Science, 6) CSU-Long Beach: Engineering , 7) San Diego State University, BME  8) CSULA: Computer Science

Updated 3/23/2016 - Accepted (4/8) - UC Irvine, Keck, Claremont, CSUF Wait-listed (1/8): CSULB Rejected (1/8): SDSU / Pending (3/8): USC, CSULA (Computer Science) 

1 hour ago, Bookworm349810 said:

Anyone else still waiting to hear back from Cornell or UPitt? I wasnt invited to interview/visit for either so I don't know why I haven't been rejected yet.

same here (cornell and pittsburgh)...

Called Cornell two days ago, the program coordinator said they will be finishing making decisions by the end of this week (offer, waitlist and rejection)...

2 hours ago, lifeeeeee said:

Called Cornell two days ago, the program coordinator said they will be finishing making decisions by the end of this week (offer, waitlist and rejection)...

That's comforting to hear! I hope they tell us as soon as they've decided and don't make it stretch out too much longer (I have a feeling they'll make the decisions this week and then wait until next week to release them)

4 hours ago, Bookworm349810 said:

Anyone else still waiting to hear back from Cornell or UPitt? I wasnt invited to interview/visit for either so I don't know why I haven't been rejected yet.

2 hours ago, lifeeeeee said:

Cornell doesn't do interviews - they accept people straight out and then do recruitment visits. If you haven't heard anything yet, it means you haven't been rejected yet and have a shot at picking up an offer if they decide to take on additional students or if someone doesn't accept their offer. No news isn't bad news in this situation!

1 hour ago, Extra Espresso said:

Cornell doesn't do interviews - they accept people straight out and then do recruitment visits. If you haven't heard anything yet, it means you haven't been rejected yet and have a shot at picking up an offer if they decide to take on additional students or if someone doesn't accept their offer. No news isn't bad news in this situation!

Do you know if MIT released all their BioE acceptances POST interview? Did they send you an official email and offer? My friend is asking since he was at the interview.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, pali123 said:

Do you know if MIT released all their BioE acceptances POST interview? Did they send you an official email and offer? My friend is asking since he was at the interview.

Thanks!

I received an official email from the department with my offer, but I do not know if that means they released all of their acceptances yet or not!

4 hours ago, Extra Espresso said:

thanks a lot for your reply! that's helpful!

5 hours ago, Bookworm349810 said:

That's comforting to hear! I hope they tell us as soon as they've decided and don't make it stretch out too much longer (I have a feeling they'll make the decisions this week and then wait until next week to release them)

I just heard one person received PhD admission from Cornell today.

14 hours ago, Extra Espresso said:

I received an official email from the department with my offer, but I do not know if that means they released all of their acceptances yet or not!

Congrats and thank you! You have amazing options I wish you the best!

A little late here, but is anybody strongly considering Duke BME, PhD? I've been admitted and will most likely be going there. I'm pretty excited!

Also, @ExtraExpresso, I'm curious to know what you thought about recruitment weekend for the schools you applied to, and what school you will most likely end up choosing, and why? I only applied to 3 schools for several personal reasons, but I would've loved to apply to a lot more, most of which are included in your list. I'd love to hear your reasoning, mostly out of stupid curiosity for what I may or may not have missed out on. Haha.

Edited by Schrodinberg

Hey All,

Please let JHU know asap if you decided to go elsewhere, or know that you will not go JHU. I am on alternate list, and have already let all other schools except one know that I will not be going. 

Thanks

2 hours ago, Santos said:

Hey All,

Please let JHU know asap if you decided to go elsewhere, or know that you will not go JHU. I am on alternate list, and have already let all other schools except one know that I will not be going. 

Thanks

Just did so. Good luck! :)

Would anyone here happen to know / have an opinion on what the protocol is for someone waitlisted at their first choice PhD program and holding on to another offer? 

The deadline for me to accept an offer at hand is April 15, but my waitlisted program has told me that I may not hear back until a few days after the 15th, since that's also the deadline for their admitted students to make a decision. Assuming I don't hear back from them by the 15th, should I accept the other offer? Or would it be okay to explain my circumstance to the program I'm admitted to and request for an extension? It feels a bit unprofessional to accept an offer and then withdraw later, especially for PhD programs which have smaller cohorts. But I obviously also don't want to end up in a situation where I have no place to go.

I'm waitlisted at MIT MEMP, by the way.

Edited by myelinsheath