PhD Biomedical/Bioengineering/EE Fall 2016 Profiles

Nallapar

8 hours ago, ad0814 said:

Has anyone heard from Pittsburgh? I was contacted by a specialty masters program fo medical devices but beyond that nothing. 

Also anyone heard anything from Rutgers ph.d?

Nothing from Rutgers -__-

On 3/7/2016 at 0:46 PM, rhymespit said:

Yup, was just there and it was probably my favourite visit so far. All of the faculty were over-the-top friendly and it seemed like everyone was doing really cool stuff. I really enjoyed all of my interviews and talking to the faculty/students. Overall I enjoyed the visit and was impressed with what the department had to offer; I heard the same from some of the other prospective students. 

For the faculty that I interviewed with (I think everyone gets like 6?), the interviews were pretty laid-back. Some faculty asked me about my previous research projects but no tough questions or anything like that. Enjoy!

Thanks for the input! Another question that is also for anyone else who has been to interviews so far... What is the general sense of attire? Is everyone wearing a full suit or is it more casual? Even though I know what I wear won't be a make-it-or-break-it decision point, I am still having a mild freakout about what to wear. I was planning to just wear a skirt with a nice blouse and probably flats, just because I know that I am visiting two labs and will be doing lots of walking. Should I wear a blazer too?!? So many options! I just want to make a good first impression!

3 hours ago, kales said:

Thanks for the input! Another question that is also for anyone else who has been to interviews so far... What is the general sense of attire? Is everyone wearing a full suit or is it more casual? Even though I know what I wear won't be a make-it-or-break-it decision point, I am still having a mild freakout about what to wear. I was planning to just wear a skirt with a nice blouse and probably flats, just because I know that I am visiting two labs and will be doing lots of walking. Should I wear a blazer too?!? So many options! I just want to make a good first impression!

At my Northwestern interview, I saw the whole range: everything from a full suit to flannel and high tops. I wore boots, nice jeans/khakis, a button down, and a blazer. This seemed pretty solidly in the upper middle (and pretty closely matched what most of the profs were wearing!). That or slacks and a nice cardigan is probably a good bet. What you're describing also sounds perfectly fine. Definitely a good call on flats - you would probably be dead in heels by the end of it.

23 hours ago, ad0814 said:

Has anyone heard from Pittsburgh? I was contacted by a specialty masters program fo medical devices but beyond that nothing. 

Also anyone heard anything from Rutgers ph.d?

got answer from Pittsburgh.

They invite all the students they want to admit for the recruitment weekend (that means if the student says yes, he/she will get admitted). Other applicants will receive either admission with funding or rejection. And they gonna send out the letters beginning on March 10th (which is tomorrow) to early April.

Finger crossed!

12 hours ago, kales said:

I'm a dude and wore khakis and a plaid button-down shirt which I thought was totally fine. A few students dressed up and wore suits, I noticed a good number of the faculty were also dressed very nicely (though I couldn't tell if that was their normal attire or if it was for visits). I think what I wore was pretty much on par with what most other students wore. 

I wouldn't stress out about it, if you wear what you mentioned I'm sure you'll be set on the attire-side of things. There's also a tour of campus on the day of interviews, so flats are recommended. 

Hey! Has anyone heard from the Georgia tech PhD BME program? I am yet to get a proper reply; either a decline or an acceptance. Also does anyone know when John Hopkins BME start sending replys?

Thanks. ??

Just now, Omokorede said:

Hey! Has anyone heard from the Georgia tech PhD BME program? I am yet to get a proper reply; either a decline or an acceptance. Also does anyone know when John Hopkins BME start sending replys?

Thanks. ??

I mean the John Hopkins master BME program.

Does anyone have an idea of when Stanford might send out their decisions? It's been 2 weeks since the main interview weekend (though I know a few people interviewed last weekend) and it seems no one has heard back yet. The wait is killing me! Just looking to ease my anxiety... 

32 minutes ago, ndriscol said:

Does anyone have an idea of when Stanford might send out their decisions? It's been 2 weeks since the main interview weekend (though I know a few people interviewed last weekend) and it seems no one has heard back yet. The wait is killing me! Just looking to ease my anxiety... 

I received a call from two profs there saying I was admitted. They will be sending out official emails Monday or so according to them.

6 minutes ago, ndriscol said:

Oh... when did you receive the call?  Shoot :( 

I got an email from a professor yesterday telling me that I was accepted (no phone call though). She also said the official acceptance email with logistics would be sent sometime this week.

On 3/9/2016 at 11:26 AM, Omokorede said:

Thanks. ??

They had their visit this Past Friday March 11 and have already gave out a few acceptances. If they haven't rejected you, you probably are still on the list but may have to wait on a few people to decline perhaps. 

4 hours ago, ThatGuy1 said:

They had their visit this Past Friday March 11 and have already gave out a few acceptances. If they haven't rejected you, you probably are still on the list but may have to wait on a few people to decline perhaps. 

Ooh thanks! *fingers crossed* 

On 3/14/2016 at 4:01 PM, double espresso said:

Rejected from UCLA PhD Bioengineering, but offered admission to MS program.. they said more information is coming. Open house is in April.. nothing about funding yet. 

Anyone hear from UCLA about funding for either PhD or MS? 

I got the same notification and asked the program admin if there was any funding available. She said no funding was available for the MS. 

28 minutes ago, aksiksi said:

UMich rejected my PhD application but offered me a unfunded MS. I'm definitely going with the funded PhD offer GATech.

When did they notify you? I haven't heard anything from UMich yet...

14 hours ago, lifeeeeee said:

When did they notify you? I haven't heard anything from UMich yet...

Yesterday actually. I called them two days back and they implied that all PhD acceptances were out. There is a waitlist however, but they told me that I was not on it.

On March 8, 2016 at 3:50 PM, lifeeeeee said:

got answer from Pittsburgh.

They invite all the students they want to admit for the recruitment weekend (that means if the student says yes, he/she will get admitted). Other applicants will receive either admission with funding or rejection. And they gonna send out the letters beginning on March 10th (which is tomorrow) to early April.

Finger crossed!

Did you hear anything? 

7 hours ago, aksiksi said:

Yesterday actually. I called them two days back and they implied that all PhD acceptances were out. There is a waitlist however, but they told me that I was not on it.

Hey, so what lead you to the decision to call the admission board? I'm dying to hear from rutgers and when I emailed them they said we'll let you know by april 15th. I kinda feel like that's unfair to not post results until the day of decisions and I've been considering calling them maybe next week since that's my top choice for Ph.D. and the waiting has been stressing me out more than I have ever been in my life. Do you think it would reflect badly on me to reach out to them a second time? 

41 minutes ago, ad0814 said:

Did you hear anything? 

Hey, so what lead you to the decision to call the admission board? I'm dying to hear from rutgers and when I emailed them they said we'll let you know by april 15th. I kinda feel like that's unfair to not post results until the day of decisions and I've been considering calling them maybe next week since that's my top choice for Ph.D. and the waiting has been stressing me out more than I have ever been in my life. Do you think it would reflect badly on me to reach out to them a second time? 

I don't think so to be frank. They are aware that people apply to multiple colleges, and need to make a decision. Just explain your situation over the phone and I'm sure they'll at least give you a hint of what to expect. Also, it's easier to wiggle out info over the phone than by sending an email. Good luck!