PhD Biomedical/Bioengineering/EE Fall 2016 Profiles

Nallapar

40 minutes ago, aegis921 said:

Same here :) Congratulations to you. 

7 minutes ago, Extra Espresso said:

Same!! I'm super stoked!

Congrats to you both too! It's one of my top choices, so it's a relief going into my next few weeks of interviews at other places. 

4 hours ago, Jelly said:

Congrats to you both too! It's one of my top choices, so it's a relief going into my next few weeks of interviews at other places. 

Congrats to all of you who got acceptance emails. What is your research area? JHU sent Neuro yesterday. Looks like some of you got emails today. Wondering if they sent emails to cell/tissue yet. Thanks

Edited by Santos

5 hours ago, Santos said:

Congrats to all of you who got acceptance emails. What is your research area? JHU sent Neuro yesterday. Looks like some of you got emails today. Wondering if they sent emails to cell/tissue yet. Thanks

I'm Cell and Tissue Engineering (CTE)!

Hi everyone,

I got 2 rejections so far from BME phd programs (U of Minnesota Twin Cities, and Boston Univ.). I did not hear anything from other programs I applied (all of them are BME phd programs). From "search results", I know that some of them sent out interview invitations (well, I didn't get that), some of them already sent out admissions (I did't get that either). Does that mean I probably have no chance for those schools? 

20 hours ago, lifeeeeee said:

Hi everyone,

I got 2 rejections so far from BME phd programs (U of Minnesota Twin Cities, and Boston Univ.). I did not hear anything from other programs I applied (all of them are BME phd programs). From "search results", I know that some of them sent out interview invitations (well, I didn't get that), some of them already sent out admissions (I did't get that either). Does that mean I probably have no chance for those schools? 

It depends on whether the schools do interviews or not. If they don't do interviews and you haven't heard anything, I'd say it's still pretty possible that you're on the wait list. If they do interviews and you haven't heard anything and you know they've sent out interview invitations, I would say it's starting to get unlikely that this point, unfortunately. I'd say if by mid March you haven't heard anything, you should email to check. 

37 minutes ago, lowkey said:

Is anyone still waiting to hear back from Rice? What are the odds of an acceptance this late/ will they reconsider an application if they get NSF?

I have a friend who came off of a wait list when she was awarded the NSF, but not from that particular program. I've also heard of people having rejections reversed from getting the NSF. Many schools will reconsider if you have your own funding. I would contact a PI you're interested in working with at that school to see if they think the department would reconsider once you find out about NSF, but not until after you know that you got it. 

Hi guys. I'm sort of late to the party, but here are my stats. For some BG, I applied to several programs last year and only got accepted into a masters :( So this year I am giving it another shot with a better GPA, Pub, and internship exp.

And those of you who are still anxiously waiting, just know you are not the only ones. As of 02/27 i have only had one response.

GRE: 159Q/156V/5.0AW

Domestic/International (TOEFL/IELTS): Domestic

UG GPA: Bioeng in a not top ranked school

3.3 Cumulative

3.5 Upper div

Masters GPA: N/A

Research experience: 2 years in energy/ethanol fermentation lab. 

2 Months Research associate startup

1 Month (Current) Eng Intern startup

Research publications, patents, conferences:

1 coauthor pub in major journal (RCS), no patents, and no conference presentations

PHD intended specialization

Biomedical/Mechanical Engineering. focus in microdevices, BioMEMS, Microfluidics

University list: Applied to Ph. D Programs

Accepted:

:(

Interview

SUNY Stony Brook (3/1) (WOOOOHHHHH!!!!!!!!!)

Waiting:

UCLA Bioeng

Boston U, MechE 

UC Riverside, ChemE 

UC Irvine, BME

UC Davis, MechE 

CU Boulder, MechE 

CU Denver, (BME I think)

UMD College Park, Bioeng

UW Seattle, MechE

SUNY Buffalo BME 

Syracuse U, BME

Rutgers, BME

Rensselaer PI, BME

Texas A&M CS: BME

Edited by sharkyomar
extra info on UG GPA

15 hours ago, madbiochemist said:

It depends on whether the schools do interviews or not. If they don't do interviews and you haven't heard anything, I'd say it's still pretty possible that you're on the wait list. If they do interviews and you haven't heard anything and you know they've sent out interview invitations, I would say it's starting to get unlikely that this point, unfortunately. I'd say if by mid March you haven't heard anything, you should email to check. 

I have a friend who came off of a wait list when she was awarded the NSF, but not from that particular program. I've also heard of people having rejections reversed from getting the NSF. Many schools will reconsider if you have your own funding. I would contact a PI you're interested in working with at that school to see if they think the department would reconsider once you find out about NSF, but not until after you know that you got it. 

Thanks a lot for your answer!

17 hours ago, shim12 said:

Sharkyomar, if you don't mind me asking, why did you apply ME for UW?

9 hours ago, lifeeeeee said:

some ME faculties at UW do nanotechnology and BioMEMS and they have joint appointment with BioE department.

^^ Pretty much, the research in the groups in the ME department looked more attractive, that is the case for all of the ME's that I applied to. Also (much more secondary) because i have a low GPA/GRE, I was worried that i might get filtered through due to UW's high BME ranking. 

Edited by sharkyomar
emphasis on the first point

Does anyone know if UNC is still sending out acceptances or are they done? I applied to UNC/ Cornell/ Davis/ Columbia, got rejection from Davis and waitin for the other 3... 

thanks and congratz to those who got accepted! :)

2 hours ago, StHoly said:

Does anyone know if UNC is still sending out acceptances or are they done? I applied to UNC/ Cornell/ Davis/ Columbia, got rejection from Davis and waitin for the other 3... 

UNC Chapel Hill had their admitted students day a few weeks ago. I would assume they are done, but you should call them to find out. They may be waiting to see if enough people accept their offers before going off a potential waitlist.

3 hours ago, StHoly said:

Not sure if you mind me asking when did you hear back from Davis? I didn't hear back from Davis yet...

27 minutes ago, lifeeeeee said:

I called some schools and they recommended me to reach out to faculty if I didn't get admission or rejection from their programs. I emailed some faculty members but no response... Any advice on the strategy? Thanks!

Faculty members probably aren't your best bet. Contact the graduate coordinator (via phone if possible) to ask about status updates.

Just now, Dr_Patel said:

Faculty members probably aren't your best bet. Contact the graduate coordinator (via phone if possible) to ask about status updates.

sorry I didn't clarify that the program coordinator recommended me to contact faculty members...

1 hour ago, Dr_Patel said:

UNC Chapel Hill had their admitted students day a few weeks ago. I would assume they are done, but you should call them to find out. They may be waiting to see if enough people accept their offers before going off a potential waitlist.

oh ;( sad, i will try to reach out to them.. i'd like to hear from them earlier if they decided not to accept me.. why do schools do that :( frustrating..

34 minutes ago, lifeeeeee said:

Not sure if you mind me asking when did you hear back from Davis? I didn't hear back from Davis yet...

i heard back about 8 days ago :) good luck!! maybe you're still in the list. 

Question : Does being an international student affect the decisions they make to accept the student? I am an international but I got my BS here in the states. 

1 hour ago, StHoly said:

oh ;( sad, i will try to reach out to them.. i'd like to hear from them earlier if they decided not to accept me.. why do schools do that :( frustrating..

Question : Does being an international student affect the decisions they make to accept the student? I am an international but I got my BS here in the states. 

I think so, cuz I am an international student too.

Domestic students can bring their own fundings which ease the burden of faculty/department. There are only 2 or 3 spots for international students each year and some applicants already got their MS degree, so somehow their background are more competitive than us (BS in the states).

1 hour ago, StHoly said:

This is what I just got back from UC Davis: "While we have already communicated our decisions to admitted students in order to facilitate their attendance of our recruitment weekend, we haven’t yet communicated all of our admissions decisions to the remaining applicants.

I think that means rejection to me...

Edited by lifeeeeee

2 hours ago, lifeeeeee said:

This is what I just got back from UC Davis: "While we have already communicated our decisions to admitted students in order to facilitate their attendance of our recruitment weekend, we haven’t yet communicated all of our admissions decisions to the remaining applicants.

I think that means rejection to me...

if they didn't tell you the reason why you're not accepted you still have a chance. i've got a few reasons why they didn't accept me XD

anyway I asked about the status of an international student because my manager where I am working now was also an international student when she applied for PhD in the states. She obtained a masters degree in the states and you would think she can get in pretty much anyway but she couldn't. She told me she applied to many places and got accepted to 3 universities. She told me one of the profs told her that international applicants apparently goes to a different decision point and many international students we see are the ones that professor hand-picked and brought over with them when they moved.