PhD Biomedical/Bioengineering/EE Fall 2016 Profiles

Nallapar

3 hours ago, jjjjjelly said:

Hi there! Long time lurker-- huge congrats to everyone in this thread.
Just received a call from a POI at Stanford BioE. SO ecstatic!!!! He said they will send out the e-mails later today.

However, the interview weekend for Stanford conflicts with another interview weekend, in which the school has already bought me airplane tickets. Stanford is one of my top choices, so I would much rather go to that visiting weekend.

What is the right thing to do here? Does anyone know of people who had to decline a visiting weekend after accepting the initial invitation? I was planning to e-mail the other school and explain the situation, offer to pay the cancellation fee, and ask for an alternative weekend.

Thank you!

If you get a confirmation email can you let us know? I am pretty sure I will not get an interview but it will be good to know beforehand that all interview invites have been sent out.

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, pali123 said:

If you get a confirmation email can you let us know? I am pretty sure I will not get an interview but it will be good to know beforehand that all interview invites have been sent out.

Thanks!

Sure! They have not been set out yet as of now.

@aegis921 @Extra Espresso I just got a call from Stanford guys!!!!! 

For those of you that were staring at your phone all day during class like I was, fear not! Calls are still incoming from Stanford! Also, if it helps, my application still says incomplete even though I sent them official transcripts twice. 

The interview does conflict with HST MEMP. The person I talked to said that it would be ideal for me to visit on the Monday-Tuesday of the week, so that I could go interview in Cambridge on Thursday-Friday. Hopefully everything will work out for all of us!!!

I made a faux pas in a mail to a prospective poi and was very terse. Like just a single line reply. I apologized to her and sent her a more clear mail. Do you think this would affect my chances drastically? I know how people might perceive it.

23 minutes ago, Nallapar said:

I made a faux pas in a mail to a prospective poi and was very terse. Like just a single line reply. I apologized to her and sent her a more clear mail. Do you think this would affect my chances drastically? I know how people might perceive it.

I don't think it'd be that big of a deal, but it'd depend on what exactly you said.

16 minutes ago, Nallapar said:

Most professors are extremely terse in their emails to students as well. The fact that you apologized should be fine. I wouldn't stress over it.

2 hours ago, belikeron said:

Long time lurker!!!How long did it take for you to hear back from Georgia Tech? Thanks

I actually heard back the day after they said my application had been processed (mid-January). When results get released may vary given that Georgia Tech's Bioengineering program requires you apply through different departments. I applied through the Mechanical Engineering department. Hope that helps!

57 minutes ago, Dr_Patel said:

For those of you that were staring at your phone all day during class like I was, fear not! Calls are still incoming from Stanford! Also, if it helps, my application still says incomplete even though I sent them official transcripts twice. 

The interview does conflict with HST MEMP. The person I talked to said that it would be ideal for me to visit on the Monday-Tuesday of the week, so that I could go interview in Cambridge on Thursday-Friday. Hopefully everything will work out for all of us!!!

Congrats! Are you going to try to visit during those days? Thinking ahead, my schedule would be ridiculous... I already sent flight plans to the travel agent for the HST interview, but I suppose it isn't too late to change. 

Edited by aegis921

6 minutes ago, Edotdl said:

I don't think it'd be that big of a deal, but it'd depend on what exactly you said.

She asked me which dates would be good for a telephonic call and gave me her preferred date. I replied saying it works for me without specifying any date.

I apologized and let her know her preferred date works. But felt that without being clear I was rude. Maybe I am over thinking, but I just like her work a lot.

Just now, aegis921 said:

Are you going to try to visit during those days? Thinking ahead, my schedule would be ridiculous... I already sent flight plans to the travel agent for the HST interview, but I suppose it isn't too late to change. 

My schedule is ridiculously busy in the month of February, but I would rather go to see Stanford in person than have a skype interview. I'm flying into Cambridge sometime Thursday morning so it is completely feasible for me to visit Stanford in the beginning of the week. Over the phone, he said that I wouldn't be able to visit later (like the week after) because they would have finalized admission decisions by then. The only worrisome thing is all the schoolwork I will be missing...

For anyone else visiting Caltech Feb. 4-6 - did you receive the contact information for a Caltech-associated travel agent to book your flights? Or are we expected to book ourselves and then submit for reimbursement later?

1 minute ago, pali123 said:

For Stanford is the only way to get an interview is via phone call? Do they email you guys at all? Have they emailed? Sorry I am so depressed I have not heard back :(

I got an email from a POI, not a phone call, so you may still receive one. They haven't sent out the official invitation packages yet either.

8 hours ago, jjjjjelly said:

Hi there! Long time lurker-- huge congrats to everyone in this thread.
Just received a call from a POI at Stanford BioE. SO ecstatic!!!! He said they will send out the e-mails later today.

However, the interview weekend for Stanford conflicts with another interview weekend, in which the school has already bought me airplane tickets. Stanford is one of my top choices, so I would much rather go to that visiting weekend.

What is the right thing to do here? Does anyone know of people who had to decline a visiting weekend after accepting the initial invitation? I was planning to e-mail the other school and explain the situation, offer to pay the cancellation fee, and ask for an alternative weekend.

Thank you!

I think you would seriously hurt your chances with this other program by attempting to change interview dates now. It would tell the university that you have another school that is so much higher of a priority to you that you would be willing to completely change on a commitment you made just to visit this other school. You also may have the problem that this tickets may be non-refundable, so the university may lose that money. Or, they may have already started coordinating interviews for you with faculty members.

I think it's more likely that Stanford would understand you asking for an alternate date. They know that the people applying there have also applied to a lot of other schools, and there are very limited weekends in which to schedule interviews. From what other people in this thread have said, they will work with you to schedule an alternate weekend, and it likely wouldn't have an impact on your overall chances. This is especially true if you are able to interview early before they evaluate the other applicants.

3 hours ago, Dr_Patel said:

Congratulations!! I was super excited to find out yesterday evening! :D It bites that so many people have conflicts, but hopefully it won't affect anyone. I'm in that boat with MIT's interview, so *fingers crossed*.

2 hours ago, Dr_Patel said:

My schedule is ridiculously busy in the month of February, but I would rather go to see Stanford in person than have a skype interview. I'm flying into Cambridge sometime Thursday morning so it is completely feasible for me to visit Stanford in the beginning of the week. Over the phone, he said that I wouldn't be able to visit later (like the week after) because they would have finalized admission decisions by then. The only worrisome thing is all the schoolwork I will be missing...

SAME. I am missing so much school in February. It's definitely worth it because I know that I need to visit each of these schools and meet with the faculty and students in order to make the best decision, but I am not looking forward to missing so much class. I keep reminding myself that my graduate school decision affects my next 5 to 6 years and these classes will not matter nearly so much in the long run as picking the right school for me.

17 minutes ago, Panicked Screeching said:

So if we haven't heard back from out POI from Stanford is it safe to assume we didn't get in?

They haven't sent the e-mails out yet-- guessing they will do so tomorrow, so there's still some chance!

10 hours ago, Nallapar said:

I do not understand "faux pas" and "terse". What a vocabulary.

Has anyone received the Stanford e-mail yet? They said it would be sent out yesterday, but have not received it yet :\
edit: or does anyone have a status update about it? Thanks :)

Edited by jjjjjelly

GRE: 324 (157 Q, 167 V, 3.5 AWA)

Domestic/International (TOEFL/IELTS): International  TOEFL: 105

UG GPA: 8.5/10

Masters GPA: 3.75 

Research experience: 2 different internships, 1 bachelors project and 2 years masters research experience

Research publications, patents, conferences: 2 manuscripts are in preparation

PHD intended specialization: Tissue engineering/ Regenerative Medicine (Musculoskeletal Regeneration)

University list:

1) Stanford Biosciences

2) MIT Biology

3) UCSF/UC Berkeley Bioengineering

4) Harvard BBS

5) Johns Hopkins Biomedical Engineering

6) Cornell BCMB

7) UPENN Bioengineering

8) Columbia Biomedical Engineering

9) Wisconsin Biomedical Engineering

I got rejection from Stanford, MIT, UCSF/UC, Harvard. Has anyone heard about the rest? Would you please update me on the rest of the universities?

23 minutes ago, DJ said:

University list:

1) Stanford Biosciences

2) MIT Biology

3) UCSF/UC Berkeley Bioengineering

4) Harvard BBS

5) Johns Hopkins Biomedical Engineering

6) Cornell BCMB

7) UPENN Bioengineering

8) Columbia Biomedical Engineering

9) Wisconsin Biomedical Engineering

I got rejection from Stanford, MIT, UCSF/UC, Harvard. Has anyone heard about the rest? Would you please update me on the rest of the universities?

Johns Hopkins and U Penn have already sent out interview invites. As far as I am aware, you need to receive an interview to have a chance at admission.