PhD Biomedical/Bioengineering/EE Fall 2016 Profiles

Nallapar

35 minutes ago, Dr_Patel said:

Yes. I got my acceptance letter January 13th. Their admitted students day is February 18-19, and the RSVP already passed. I would contact them since it seemed like they were done with the admission process from their letter.

Thanks for the reply, I thought it was taking a bit too long. Congratulations on your offers.

Edit:

According to the the universities, the admissions process is still in full swing and decisions will hopefully be out soon.

Edited by martinskye

GRE: V159, Q161, W4

Domestic/International (TOEFL/IELTS): domestic

UG GPA: 2.40 (yes, awful, but was due to some pretty distracting homeside issues) MatSci

Research experience:

1.5 years undergrad at JHU, polymer nanoparticle synthesis using microfluidics, polymer synthesis, and all of the fun that comes with it.

2.5 years (current) pharmaceutical R&D at a reasonably successful startup. Specialize in immunoengineering and antibiotics. Most, if not all of our therapies are nucleic acids-based. Project leader of a $1.7 million DARPA grant for the past year.

Research publications, patents, conferences:

1 co-authored paper in PNAS with two big name scientists, 1 first-author paper currently under review.

2 patents, one for antibiotics, one for immunoregulatory compounds.

PHD intended specialization

Immunoengineering, most likely. Either cancer or immune tolerance would be ideal. Anti-virals and antibacterials would be interesting, too.

University list:

See my signature. I'm only applying to a few BME programs, on the whole.

Edited by katpillow

13 hours ago, sanfonts said:

So... it seems the invitations for Stanford Bioengineering program have been sent (yet another rejection for me...). Did anyone here get one?

Hmmm I did not. How do you know they sent invites? I would expect someone here on this thread to have said they got an invite if they had already been sent.

53 minutes ago, Dr_Patel said:

Hmmm I did not. How do you know they sent invites? I would expect someone here on this thread to have said they got an invite if they had already been sent.

That's weird they would respond on a Saturday.. That's why the survey person has listed as date of email to interview 

1 hour ago, Dr_Patel said:

11 minutes ago, pali123 said:

That's weird they would respond on a Saturday.. That's why the survey person has listed as date of email to interview 

Based on last year's results in the survey, Stanford has people's POIs contact them about their interview invites. Nearly everyone said something along the lines of "Phone call from POI, so excited!" Also, last year nine people posted their results within the span of a day, and only two have posted theirs so far this year. My best guess is that a couple professors went ahead and sent their announcements last night to get them done and others held off because it was fairly late on a Friday (the two results were both posted after 4:30 Pacific time). So there may be more invites to come this weekend or Monday. But that's all just conjecture based on a minute or two of scrolling through the results page.

It's also totally possible (and sad) that none of us got an invite, in which case we'll just have to celebrate all of our amazing invites and acceptances up to this point! :D 

Edited by Extra Espresso
Clarification

1 minute ago, Extra Espresso said:

Based on last year's results in the survey, Stanford has people's POIs contact them about their interview invites. Nearly everyone said something along the lines of "Phone call from POI, so excited!" Also, nine people posted their results within the span of a day. My best guess is that a couple professors went ahead and sent their announcements last night to get them done and others held off because it was fairly late on a Friday (the two results were both posted after 4:30 Pacific time). So there may be more invites to come this weekend or Monday. But that's all just conjecture based on a minute or two of scrolling through the results page.

It's also totally possible (and sad) that none of us got an invite, in which case we'll just have to celebrate all of our amazing invites and acceptances up to this point! :D 

9 people got an invite? I only see 2 for bioengineering?

Just now, Extra Espresso said:

Last year! That was one of the things that made me think they may not be done because nine people posted last year and only two so far this year. 

Sorry LOL! Yeah I assumed I would see more invites than just 2, who knows those 2 just might be one person as well LOL

15 minutes ago, Extra Espresso said:

So true! I have 3 other interviews to worry about, and if I was accepted to any of those programs I would be ecstatic. As it stands, this year the Stanford interview is the last week of February, which conflicts with my MIT interview. Even if I got an invite, I would have to Skype, and I feel like that diminishes one's chances a lot.

Hi everyone!

I've been actively reading this thread and I think it's time for me to contribute. I was one of the entries for Stanford Bioengineering and it is my understanding that the invites will be sent out on Monday. I believe I was contacted early because I may be nominated for a fellowship, but this is just my guess. I wish you guys the best of luck! :)

Just now, bioe123 said:

Hi everyone!

I've been actively reading this thread and I think it's time for me to contribute. I was one of the entries for Stanford Bioengineering and it is my understanding that the invites will be sent out on Monday. I believe I was contacted early because I may be nominated for a fellowship, but this is just my guess. I wish you guys the best of luck! :)

Thanks for the reassurance! And congratulations on your interview!! :D:D 

1 minute ago, bioe123 said:

Hi everyone!

Awesome news for you!! And thanks for that piece of information!

On 1/15/2016 at 10:08 PM, microbiologynerd said:

FYI everyone got confirmation from the MIT BE office that they are still in the process of sending out interviews!

Are they still in the process now? Haven't heard anything yet...

On 1/22/2016 at 2:07 PM, Nallapar said:

Anybody else attending open house at CWRU Biomed? :) completely thrilled. 

I am! Couldn't be happier! Loved the research there and can't wait to visit.

After getting two rejection from UCB and Stanford BioE, I finally got an invitation from Caltech BioE, which was surprising to me.. I thought I fit UCB and Stanford much more, considering the POI's research and my research background. But I forgot to submit my official transcripts to Stanford and I missed my official Toefl to UCB, which might be the reason for rejection.

10 hours ago, Haiqing said:

After getting two rejection from UCB and Stanford BioE, I finally got an invitation from Caltech BioE, which was surprising to me.. I thought I fit UCB and Stanford much more, considering the POI's research and my research background. But I forgot to submit my official transcripts to Stanford and I missed my official Toefl to UCB, which might be the reason for rejection.

Can I ask how you know you were rejected from MIT ChemE? As far as I can tell, official rejection letters haven't been sent out yet.