PhD Biomedical/Bioengineering/EE Fall 2016 Profiles

Nallapar

13 hours ago, aegis921 said:

For those who attended the Stanford interviews, what did you think of them and the department? I've heard great things about the program!

I thought it was amazing!! It's very interdisciplinary. Several students actually have PIs outside of the department. I'm just a little nervous about the post-interview acceptance rate... some people were saying 60% and others were saying 75%. Does anyone have a better idea of the rate or how many students they want to have this year? 

On 3/2/2016 at 7:45 AM, cmiller13 said:

I thought it was amazing!! It's very interdisciplinary. Several students actually have PIs outside of the department. I'm just a little nervous about the post-interview acceptance rate... some people were saying 60% and others were saying 75%. Does anyone have a better idea of the rate or how many students they want to have this year? 

Apparently 50 - 55 people will be accepted into the Stanford BioE program. It's on the lower end at ~60% :(.

5 hours ago, bioe123 said:

Apparently 50 - 55 people will be accepted into the Stanford BioE program. It's on the lower end at ~60% :(.

Yup. I'm at the interview weekend right now and the professor said about 55% would be accepted post-interview. Its really weird since the interviews seem super chill so I'm not sure how that cut is going to be made..

5 hours ago, Dr_Patel said:

Yup. I'm at the interview weekend right now and the professor said about 55% would be accepted post-interview. Its really weird since the interviews seem super chill so I'm not sure how that cut is going to be made..

Thank you and @bioe123 !  Did they say when decisions would be made?

23 hours ago, Santos said:

Received email from JHU that I am on alternate list. I am not sure how many they kept on the alternate list and what is my chance of getting accepted. Thanks in advance for your response.

In 2014 they went deep into their wait list.  It all depends on how many accept their offer.

Anyone heard anything back from Northwestern, U-Michigan and Pittsburgh (BME PhD program) yet? I did not receive interview invitation from them. Does that mean I have been added to waitlist or they just silently reject me? Thanks.

On 3/3/2016 at 3:47 PM, Santos said:

Received email from JHU that I am on alternate list. I am not sure how many they kept on the alternate list and what is my chance of getting accepted. Thanks in advance for your response. 

Last year we accepted a few people off the alternate list too. We're looking for a relatively big class this year (2015 we had 28 and we want ~35 for 2016) and the number of applications we received was less than last year (probably because our deadline was earlier). I can't promise anything of course, but I would expect that we'll accept a few off the wait list as well this year. Really sorry that you're in that spot, but hopefully you get in here or end up somewhere that you think is an even better fit. :)

I'm one of the JHU first years who was pretty involved with recruitment and I have no idea how they can choose between you all. I thought everyone was super friendly, smart, and impressive. 

Thanks Tuckbro and Madbiochemist for your detail response on JHU alternate list. This is very helpful and encouraging. Do they keep all applicants who were interviewed but not accepted on the alternate list? 

Edited by Santos

On 3/3/2016 at 0:47 PM, Santos said:

For what it's worth, I'll probably end up declining my JHU offer. Good luck. 

7 hours ago, lifeeeeee said:

Anyone heard anything back from Northwestern, U-Michigan and Pittsburgh (BME PhD program) yet? I did not receive interview invitation from them. Does that mean I have been added to waitlist or they just silently reject me? Thanks.

Northwestern interviews were yesterday and today, so it looks like you're out of luck there.

11 hours ago, Santos said:

Thanks Tuckbro and Madbiochemist for your detail response on JHU alternate list. This is very helpful and encouraging. Do they keep all applicants who were interviewed but not accepted on the alternate list? 

No, some people were rejected after interviews. 

Super late to the game here, but here's my profile:

Undergrad Institution:  Top LAC
Major(s):  Mathematics & Economics

GRE: (164 Q, 157 V, 5.5 AWA)

Domestic/International (TOEFL/IELTS): Domestic (US citizen)

UG GPA: 3.51, 3.53 (Major)

Research experience: 1 Solar Physics REU, 1 Graph Theory (Bio. related) REU, 1 year of Applied Dynamical Systems (Ecological modeling) research, Senior Thesis in Abstract Dynamical Systems

Type of Student: Male, URM

Research publications, patents, conferences: 1 publication, a few others have been submitted. 

PHD intended specialization: Haven't really figured it out yet, would like to concentrate more on the computational/dry-lab side of things.

University list:

1) Johns Hopkins BME

2) Duke BME

3) Rice BioE

4) UCSD BioE

5) UPenn BioE

6) UVa BME

7) Carnegie Mellon BME

8) Tri-I Cornell Computational Biology & Medicine

9) MIT Computational and Systems Biology

10) Harvard Systems Biology

11) Georgia Tech Quantitative Biosciences

12) Harvard SEAS

13) and...Applied Math Programs as well but not really relevant to this post.

Edited by rhymespit

Did anyone go to the UVA BME interview this past weekend? I'm going this upcoming weekend and am wondering what to expect. I haven't received an itinerary yet from the department. I went to UVA undergrad, so I already know that I love Charlottesville, but I am sure that my experience as a grad student would be completely different from undergrad. Thanks!

1 hour ago, kales said:

Did anyone go to the UVA BME interview this past weekend? I'm going this upcoming weekend and am wondering what to expect. I haven't received an itinerary yet from the department. I went to UVA undergrad, so I already know that I love Charlottesville, but I am sure that my experience as a grad student would be completely different from undergrad. Thanks!

Yup, was just there and it was probably my favourite visit so far. All of the faculty were over-the-top friendly and it seemed like everyone was doing really cool stuff. I really enjoyed all of my interviews and talking to the faculty/students. Overall I enjoyed the visit and was impressed with what the department had to offer; I heard the same from some of the other prospective students. 

For the faculty that I interviewed with (I think everyone gets like 6?), the interviews were pretty laid-back. Some faculty asked me about my previous research projects but no tough questions or anything like that. Enjoy!

19 minutes ago, onedayatatime said:

Congrats, I'm hearing they've sent out all of the invitations already.

Do you mean they send out all the offers for Caltech BioE?

41 minutes ago, Tea_not_coffee said:

I went to the interview weekend on the 25th and was accepted by email last Wednesday.

Congrats, I'm hearing they've sent out all of the invitations a

14 minutes ago, Haiqing said:

Do you mean they send out all the offers for Caltech BioE?

Apparently. Heard from someone who talked to Linda that all the acceptances had been sent out. So I can't be 100% certain

2 minutes ago, onedayatatime said:

Congrats, I'm hearing they've sent out all of the invitations a

Apparently. Heard from someone who talked to Linda that all the acceptances had been sent out. So I can't be 100% certain

I see! Thank you so much.

Has anyone heard from Pittsburgh? I was contacted by a specialty masters program fo medical devices but beyond that nothing. 

Also anyone heard anything from Rutgers ph.d?

59 minutes ago, ad0814 said:

Has anyone heard from Pittsburgh? I was contacted by a specialty masters program fo medical devices but beyond that nothing. 

Also anyone heard anything from Rutgers ph.d?

Nothing from Pittsburgh, even for the master program...