FLAS Fellowship 2016

Vulpix

2 hours ago, Kathleen517 said:

Hi, I applied for three FLAS fellowships for Russian.  I was selected for the fellowship at one program and I am an alternate at the other two.  I'm not altogether sold on the program that has given me funding and have a few questions about the process.  Is everyone who applied generally nominated as an alternate?  Do you all know of anyone who has received FLAS funding as an alternate?  If so, when did that happen (spring, summer, etc.)?  Finally, if I reject my offer of admission at the two schools that nominated me as an alternate, would they still contact me if funding became available (or do I have to accept the offer on April 15th with no knowledge of whether I will have funding)?

Any insight would be extremely helpful. 

If you reject your offer, I can't imagine they would contact you for funding (unless the FLAS committee is in zero communication with admissions... which may in fact be the case).

What schools did you hear back from?  I haven't heard a thing :(

15 hours ago, Heather1011 said:

If you reject your offer, I can't imagine they would contact you for funding (unless the FLAS committee is in zero communication with admissions... which may in fact be the case).

What schools did you hear back from?  I haven't heard a thing :(

I didn't think I could reject the offer.  I'm just trying to figure out how some people on the results forum have received their funding in July.  It's apparently considered unethical behavior to accept more than one offer of admission and I haven't seen anything similar to a waitlist.  I applied for fellowships at University of Washington (alternate), University of Wisconsin (alternate), and University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (selected). 

Hey yall, does anyone know when the schools themselves will receive the final funding from the Department of Education? I received a summer and AY FLAS on the condition that the program receives funding from Ed. As I understand it, the schools apply for FLAS funding in 3 year increments, 2014 - 2017 in this case. But the amount of funding actually available each year can change based on the federal budget etc, etc. Does anybody know when the Dept of Ed will confirm funds for the schools?

Thanks!

On 3/21/2016 at 2:54 PM, mrs12 said:

I was an alternate for summer funding for Turkish once and ended up receiving it. 

When were you notified that you received it? 

*sigh*  So frustrating not to have any word from either of my schools on this yet, as it is definitely a big factor in the decision-making process, and only 16 more days to decide....  Anyone else hear news yet?

Edited by Heather1011

19 minutes ago, Grad Decision 2016 said:

@Heather1011 - Are you still deciding? From the purple line I thought I had gathered you're attending Harvard?

I'm attending Harvard.  I visited both Penn & Harvard this weekend and decided that even with an enormous scholarship, I have to go to Harvard, my impression was just too strong and positive.  I haven't heard back about the FLAS yet.  I know it wouldn't change my decision.

Edited by Heather1011

Yes, I received a very welcome email from SASLI-FLAS (Madison) in March. I was there last year and it was wonderful. Does it change your

plans?

On April 3, 2016 at 9:15 PM, mrs12 said:

Did anyone hear back from the FLAS from Wisconsin-Madison? I just heard from them for their summer program.

I heard back from Wisconsin-Madison several weeks ago that I was being offered an academic year fellowship to study Kazakh. I'm about 98% sure I'm heading to a different university though, just waiting for one more answer. So, that will free up a FLAS for someone at Madison.

Grad Decision 2016,

Where will you head if you don't take the Wisconsin-Madison FLAS offer?

Did you receive a second offer of FLAS or just a tuition reduction good enough to turn down an offer from Wisconsin-Madison?

Also, is Wisconsin-Madison offering to cover all of your tuition there through FLAS or just a portion?

Thanks and congratulations on the FLAS offer from Wisconsin.

• 3 months later...

Anyone still waiting to hear about the amount awarded? My program at Yale hasn't contacted me yet in regards to how much funding I'll have from FLAS and I'm getting a little worried. 

Ok, dumb question, can someone explain to me how FLAS works? I've tried looking it up, and I'm just a little confused. I'll jot down what I think I know so far:

Summer Grants: you apply to a university (your own if it offers FLAS funding or, in some cases, another if they are open to outside applicants, but not all are). If you get it, huzzah, a summer of language study funded.

Year Long Grants: you apply for an MA or something in a language and the FLAS funds it. Thus, it seems, when you apply to FLAS you are applying for a grad program as well? Or could you apply for a year long FLAS and be a visiting student? (like if you're a PhD candidate at X Uni applying for a FLAS at Y uni?)

Sorry, I just don't understand it.

• 2 weeks later...
On July 27, 2016 at 7:26 AM, Horb said:

Ok, dumb question, can someone explain to me how FLAS works? I've tried looking it up, and I'm just a little confused. I'll jot down what I think I know so far:

Summer Grants: you apply to a university (your own if it offers FLAS funding or, in some cases, another if they are open to outside applicants, but not all are). If you get it, huzzah, a summer of language study funded.

Year Long Grants: you apply for an MA or something in a language and the FLAS funds it. Thus, it seems, when you apply to FLAS you are applying for a grad program as well? Or could you apply for a year long FLAS and be a visiting student? (like if you're a PhD candidate at X Uni applying for a FLAS at Y uni?)

Sorry, I just don't understand it.

I'm also a little confused as to how it all works. From what I've learned from my own department, the school applies for the grant and then disburses it to the students. The school has to wait and see how much in funding for FLAS they are granted. Apparently this can take a pretty long time, as I am still waiting for mine. 

On 8/5/2016 at 10:23 PM, DGrayson said:

I'm also a little confused as to how it all works. From what I've learned from my own department, the school applies for the grant and then disburses it to the students. The school has to wait and see how much in funding for FLAS they are granted. Apparently this can take a pretty long time, as I am still waiting for mine. 

I know not all schools are eligible for it or don't apply for it (such as my university) and thus I know you can apply to other schools for the summer programs, but I've had no idea beyond that.