Welcome to the GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

• Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
Dank

2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

2,943 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, LEEM said:

I e-mailed the director of NYU Sackler today and she said final decisions will be made in early April.

April?! This really take them a long time!

Got my first rejection today. I thought the interview went well so a bit surprised. I really can't understand how they evaluate a candidate based the really informal conversations I have had at all four of my so called 'interviews'. Still waiting for an acceptance. Don't know if it is getting too late. 

1 hour ago, abcd1 said:

Got my first rejection today. I thought the interview went well so a bit surprised. I really can't understand how they evaluate a candidate based the really informal conversations I have had at all four of my so called 'interviews'. Still waiting for an acceptance. Don't know if it is getting too late. 

I got rejected from Brown's pathobiology program after an interview and I felt it was because I wasn't a great fit for the research of the faculty members taking students, and they seemed to imply that I wasn't the type of student they were looking for. I have an MS in a tangentially related field while they seemed to mostly want people that had been a lab tech after undergrad before starting their program. I wasn't too miffed about it since I knew it wasn't a good fit.

Also I'm waiting for a school to accept me that I interviewed at in January. They said they'd have acceptances out by mid march, but after asking them about it, it seems like they'll be sending out offers until the beginning of April. These rolling processes are frustrating since it's not apparent whether they think you're a low priority student to recruit, or if the delay is simply due to administrative bungling (ie. are they just unable to get the right people together to discuss my application compared to that of others in other departments).

11 minutes ago, colorandlight said:

I got rejected from Brown's pathobiology program after an interview and I felt it was because I wasn't a great fit for the research of the faculty members taking students, and they seemed to imply that I wasn't the type of student they were looking for. I have an MS in a tangentially related field while they seemed to mostly want people that had been a lab tech after undergrad before starting their program. I wasn't too miffed about it since I knew it wasn't a good fit.

Also I'm waiting for a school to accept me that I interviewed at in January. They said they'd have acceptances out by mid march, but after asking them about it, it seems like they'll be sending out offers until the beginning of April. These rolling processes are frustrating since it's not apparent whether they think you're a low priority student to recruit, or if the delay is simply due to administrative bungling (ie. are they just unable to get the right people together to discuss my application compared to that of others in other departments).

I hope my schools are also sending out invites late. Being an older international student, the stakes are too high for me. If I don't get in this year I don't think I will have time to apply again plus I will have to leave the US unless I get admitted. What bothers me most is that all my interviews seemed to go well and I never got any indication at any school that they didn't like me.

Should you tell all universities you're still considering that you got NSF? Or only when you accept the offer? I wanted to let the two I'm still considering that I received the award so they can choose whether to accept someone off the wait list, but I'm not ready to commit 100% to any university yet...

6 hours ago, Kaede said:

Ouch. :( Did you get into any programs you could still see yourself at?

I also didn't know schools would send harshly worded rejections. That seems like a terrible way of going about things.

What do you all mean by harshly worded rejections?  For the most part, the schools that have rejected me basically just told me that they have a small program and can't accept everyone.  I guess I just can't see a grad program sending something like "YOU'RE NOT WORTHY!"  XD

54 minutes ago, shikkui said:

What do you all mean by harshly worded rejections?  For the most part, the schools that have rejected me basically just told me that they have a small program and can't accept everyone.  I guess I just can't see a grad program sending something like "YOU'RE NOT WORTHY!"  XD

I just used @Epigenetics's words. I haven't heard of rude rejections either - I'm curious as to what programs would treat their applicants disrespectfully.

4 hours ago, Kaede said:

I just used @Epigenetics's words. I haven't heard of rude rejections either - I'm curious as to what programs would treat their applicants disrespectfully.

I literally had a program just tell me they "have more highly accomplished applicants than we can accept".

1 hour ago, Epigenetics said:

I literally had a program just tell me they "have more highly accomplished applicants than we can accept".

I think they were just trying to tell you that the applicant pool was competitive and nothing personal.

14 hours ago, Kaede said:

Me too. I did remember during my undergraduate application some schools sent rejection letters like "you are not qualified for our program", but I haven't heard anyone receiving such responses for phd applications.

On March 18, 2017 at 2:45 AM, Epigenetics said:

They mean that the pool of "highly accomplished applicants" is larger than the number of spots that they have available, so many people will not get a spot even though they are highly accomplished.  This seems to me like the standard way to phrase a rejection

Do universities formally tell you if you are on a waitlist? I had some interviews in February but haven't heard anything since then. I am assuming I would have heard something by now unless I am on some sort of waitlist and they dont want to outright reject me for now.

1 hour ago, abcd1 said:

Do universities formally tell you if you are on a waitlist? I had some interviews in February but haven't heard anything since then. I am assuming I would have heard something by now unless I am on some sort of waitlist and they dont want to outright reject me for now.

Not always. I had one who didn't tell me I was on a wait list until I called them and asked about my status.

1 hour ago, kimmibeans said:

Not always. I had one who didn't tell me I was on a wait list until I called them and asked about my status.

Thanks. I think I will email and ask if I don't hear anything this week. I am just not sure if it is only me or if they just haven't sent out acceptances because there aren't many responses in the survey either.

On 3/18/2017 at 2:45 AM, Epigenetics said:

Oh, I got that email. When I first read it I thought they said that "we have more highly accomplished applicants than you." I was pretty upset for about an hour before I realized I misread it.

Still a little annoyed because during the interviews I qualified my responses with things like "if I have the opportunity to go here, _______" and just about every prof would stop me and say that everybody gets in. Guess not. :( 

Edited by kevinrhinoceros

Has anybody received offer from CWRU/Cleveland Clinic Molecular Medicine PhD program post interview?

1 hour ago, kevinrhinoceros said:

Oh, I got that email. When I first read it I thought they said that "we have more highly accomplished applicants than you." I was pretty upset for about an hour before I realized I misread it.

Still a little annoyed because during the interviews I qualified my responses with things like "if I have the opportunity to go here, _______" and just about every prof would stop me and say that everybody gets in. Guess not. :( 

Had the same experience, just got the Stanford rejection in the mail and I'm more offended that a school with such a mediocre app they made us use couldn't be bothered to send an e-mail. 

11 minutes ago, Epigenetics said:

Had the same experience, just got the Stanford rejection in the mail and I'm more offended that a school with such a mediocre app they made us use couldn't be bothered to send an e-mail. 

giphy.gif

Edited by blc073