How do I find a program?

EvelynD

Hey guys!

I’m here with another question, this time about the process of finding/locating schools and programs! For context; I have a research master degree in archaeology and anthropology of Native American cultures (specifically Mexico) and I am looking for a PhD program in the United States (or Canada / Australia).  I came across human-animal relation studies (HAS) on this forum, and I am about 95% sure I want to obtain a PhD in this. however, there are two 'problems' I have trouble figuring out;

Although I have several research interest I don’t know what I want to do exáctly. I don’t have a clear cut research idea, methodology , theoretical  preference or let alone a fully developed proposal, and I have a hard time figuring out how defined your idea’s must be before contacting POI’s. I just know I want to focus on HAS, with a specialization in horses, most probably from an anthropology/sociologic perspective (hence this subforum). Do I keep reading until I could write an actual proposal, or it is enough to stay in broader terms like ‘human-horse dynamics, social relations, welfare issues’ etc. I hear so many people talking about ‘their project’, and I don’t have that of course.

Question two would be what the ‘strategy’ is for finding schools and programs that you would have a good fit with. HAS + anthropology / sociology + equines is a bit of a challenge, because there is only one school that offers HAS as a grad program: MSU.  I am really enthusiastic about this school, but I want to broaden my search. I don’t think other graduate programs in HAS exist, so...

Do I google for lists of anthropology programs and do I check out every single researcher to see if they focus on animals/ horses? Or do I look through e-journals and look for individual researchers focusing on this subject, and see where they work? Or is this way to specific and should I focus on broader topics and let go of the horses during the search?

Bottom line is that I am super overwhelmed, this system is so different from what I am used to! Any advice will be very much appreciated!

My methodology - Looking through this list  thttp://chronicle.com/article/NRC-Rankings-Overview-/124703/ and going to the website of each of the top schools. Reading the faculty bio of every single person. Writing down all the institutions/persons on a spreadsheet (later included, deadlines, admissions requirements, publications I should read etc). Going through academia.edu and typing in my research interests and seeing who came up. Talking to my professors. Thinking about what researchers I liked reading as an undergrad. Talking to grad students I had worked with.

Thanks guys! Those were the things I was doing, so I guess I was on the right path.
Are you also overwhelmed sometimes? Whenever I am in the library working on the above I get this shot of adrenaline and I feel like I need to know everything at once. It's really difficult for me to relax and let go of stuff, so sometimes I just need to go for a walk or do some embroidery (yes, in the library) just to let go of the obsession.

Edit: just seconds after submitting my reply I received a reply for a prof that I mailed this afternoon. He was enthusiastic about my research idea's and wanted to keep in touch as I develop them! Stuff like this feels like a reward after a stressful day!

Edited by EvelynD

Yes, the whole process cannot feel overwhelming at times, especially since I'm trying to get ready for the upcoming application season while juggling MA coursework, thesis research, and logistics for the summer internship that's required by my MA program.  It's definitely good to be able to let go sometimes - that's why I make sure I'm always reading some sort of non-academic (usually sci-fi) book to give my brain a rest.  

Congrats on hearing back from a POI so soon!  I have a preliminary list of professors I'd like to work with but I don't plan on getting in touch with any of them until July/August.  Should I be contacting them earlier?

Well the reason I do it is because I am so new to HAS and the American system and I still feel super clueless. What I put in an email is a short introduction of me and my preliminary research interests, and then I ask if they have advice regarding developing my research topic and if they see me as a fit for their program with my preliminary ideas in mind. This is out of genuine interest; I really feel clueless and I really appreciate all the help everybody (this forum included) offers me. In my replies I have asked both POI’s if its ok if I continue with my reading for a while and contact them again later in the year when my ideas are more developed. 

I like doing it this way because it calms me and it helps my orientation. The last person I contacted wrote in his reply that he was looking for new students for 2017. It wasn't my attention at all to ask this; I just wanted some help with my process. But it feels really good when someone is enthusiastic. There were some tears involved and then I called my mom. 
:P Just because I never would have thought that studying in the USA could be a possibility for me, let alone that people are so enthusiastic and nice. 

I can't imagine doing this when being so busy!! I am between jobs right now and spend about 8 hours a day woring on my PhD stuff. Champagne problems: I am on wellfare for 3 months and now I have so much time to work on fun stuff which makes me tired, boohoo :P

Yeah, it's definitely good to get in touch with a professor, especially to find out if they are taking on new students.

If you are looking into programs for HAS you might want to check out Washington University in St. Louis and UC Santa Barbara.  This thread might also be helpful: 

I have 25-30 schools on my radar right now which will probably get whittled down to about a dozen by the time Fall rolls around.  Some of the programs I'm interested in at the moment are UVA, WUSTL, UCLA, Wisconsin, Indiana, Brown, UPenn, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Arizona.

I just wanted to chime in to say that, at least in the USA, you don't need a fully defined research proposal when you apply to PhD programs. Rather, you write about the things you're interested in studying, how you might approach them, etc., but this isn't the same as a concrete research proposal where you identify specific research questions/objectives, methods to answer those, and review the relevant literature. In that sense, you can think more broadly about who you might be interested in working with. For example, you may share interests/theoretical frameworks with those in multispecies ethnography, though this will depend on precisely what about human-animal studies interests you. There's also some academic blogs about animal studies written by anthropologists which you may want to check out...

Museum Geek, so many schools? I have two right now, and I'd be surprised if I find more than five!

Rising_Star, thanks for the advice! Isn't it commom that during your first year you have coursework and then when the second year start you develop your real proposal? That will make things a lot easier for me, I was getting super stressed because I couldn't figure out what I wanted exactly! In The Netherlands you do need a ready to go proposal, just imagine how difficult that can be! Or you find a PhD position online two weeks before the closing date and you have to come up with a proposal in two weeks,..urg...

Also, is it weird to not feel enthesiastic about researchers, or not get that 'aha moment' feeling? As of right now there are 2 universities I am very interested in, and I have found 4 others that have at least one person who is interested in HAS. However, non of them gave me that gut feeling that I had with the first two (this is gonna sound super gross if you take it out of context, isn't it?). Is this a normal way of narrowing down the search, or should I just keep them on my list and maybe contact them?

@EvelynD My research interests are broad enough that I've found a fairly large pool of scholars that I'd feel comfortable working with.  Right now I'm aiming to apply to about a dozen schools, with a 3-4 reaches, 5-6 solid fits, and a couple "back-up" schools (though at this stage of the game I don't know if that applies).  I'm fortunate in that my interests and methods of inquiry cross-cut cultural anthropology and archaeology, so I haven't had much trouble finding programs.

@pastthesarcophagi Good idea!  I wish I had known about Binghamton's Public Archaeology MA when I was applying to Master's programs last year...regardless, their PhD program is now on the list!

Smart, I hope I can find a school or 5, perhaps after doing some more reading I will better know where to look! Like I said I have found 5 scholars that are involved in HAS, but I didn't feel that connection right away. I think I have watched to many romantic comedies!

Remember: in the US programmes you have a few years of coursework where you're taking classes with these folks, so maybe the connection will develop over time :D

I had a pretty touch-and-go application round - I applied to 5 schools in the US and one in the UK (in hindsight there are at least 3 others I should have tried for... but no matter). Ultimately the US options were two funded offers, one to the safety school and one to the top choice. The one that brought me out for the prospectives visit ended up not wanting me at all!

I think museum_geek's plan is solid - 3-4 reaches, 5-6 good fits, and a couple back-ups (I think I combined mine in that the solid fits were reaches!). That said, with 10-14 applications that's a lot of money to spend, and a lot of references to request (and more if you intend to apply for scholarships)!

Then I will probably try to find a couple of schools that have both an environmental focus in their anthro program, and a Latin American research center or something similar so that I am in the right area and focus! Perhaps I will also look for researchers that use the same theories (like social construction) that I see myself using for my research.

Could you explain to me the difference between a reach and a good fit? Me no understand :P

A reach is a program that is especially competitive.  It's a school that - even if I am a slam dunk research fit - I might not get into because they are so selective/prestigious. For me, that's programs like Chicago, UC Berkeley, UCLA, Michigan, Harvard, Brown, etc.

A good fit is a school that is both a good research fit and somewhere that is more likely to accept you based on your credentials.

The problem with applying to grad school is that even a lot of "good fit" schools can turn into "reaches" given the nature of the application process.  There's really no such thing as a sure bet at this level.

I'm interested in Michigan with their HAS and environmental specialization, so that would be a reach? My other interest is UC Santa Barbara, this would be a good fit? It seems like a bit of a gamble, and very variable? What if less or more people apply, or the funding changes? But I understand the strategy! Pff, the stress, I have been living on adrenaline and sigarets ever since I decided to go stateside 3 weeks ago :P

Good fits and reaches are pretty variable depending on what kind of candidate you are, what funding is available, what the rest of the applicants that year are like... That said, Chicago, UC Berkeley, UCLA, Michigan, Harvard, Brown, etc are probably reaches for the majority of people, but obviously people get in. 

Funding is miserable, and for international students especially. You cost more in fees and that might just be a budget that some places, e.g. UArizona this year, can't afford unless you bring some funding along with you. Check out if your home country has anything that you might be able to apply for, and things like the Fulbright. 

If only we were in the exact sciences,...
I read somewhere on this messageborard that a Fullbright Scholarship comes with a different, more inconveniant visa. I'm going to look this up because I think its a good tip to already have some money with you!