Tips on Improving for Next Application Cycle?

Soooo, I applied to 14 schools this application cycle and so far have been rejected by 11 and am waiting to hear back from 3. At this point, my chances are not looking so hot, so therefore I am looking into what I can do to help improve my chances for the next cycle! I want to get a paying job that will allow me to gain experience that would look good to an admissions council, does anyone have any recommendations on what I should look into? (I applied for a TSS position, would that look impressive, being that I would be working closely with special needs students?) Also, I plan on retaking the GREs and better preparing for them this time (last time I just kind of skimmed over a few pages in a book I bought off Amazon and completely winged it..obviously that probably was not the best choice). Unfortunately I have already graduated with my undergraduate degree so there's no way I can work to improve my GPA..Feedback is greatly appreciated! :) 

1. Where were the schools you applied to? Were they only schools in the NE (I see you're in PA)? If it's an option, maybe try another region.

2. Spring and Summer admissions are usually slightly less competitive.

3. Look into how many applications a school receives vs how many people are offered admission. 

4. Working with children with special needs does look good and you could get an awesome LOR from your supervisor.

5. Definitely try to up your verbal and writing scores. I used Magoosh and Manhattan prep.

10 minutes ago, timberlake said:

1. Where were the schools you applied to? Were they only schools in the NE (I see you're in PA)? If it's an option, maybe try another region.

2. Spring and Summer admissions are usually slightly less competitive.

3. Look into how many applications a school receives vs how many people are offered admission. 

4. Working with children with special needs does look good and you could get an awesome LOR from your supervisor.

5. Definitely try to up your verbal and writing scores. I used Magoosh and Manhattan prep.

1. I applied to a few schools in PA, one in Florida, one in Illinois, one in Ohio, a few in New York, one in South Carolina, one in MA, one in Delaware, and one in Michigan. So I guess, yes, most of them were in the NE area.

2. I am considering applying for spring admissions! Haven't really looked into it much yet..I'd have to first figure out what schools do spring/summer admissions and gain contact with my LOR writers again. 

3. I did use ASHA's edfind to research schools quite a bit to look up things like this, but I feel like no matter what school it is, admissions is always going to be competitive for SLP :/ 

4. Do you have an other suggestions of jobs that would allow me to work with special needs populations if I do not hear back for the TSS position?

5. Yes, most definitely! Thanks for the tip, I'll look into those preps. 

It's great that you used asha's edfind to search up for schools!  I think it would be good if you retook the gre test, ,email to the schools you're interested in with your stats/resume, then ask them if you would be considered a competitive applicant.  I chose my schools based on the gre average scores taken from their websites or asha's and then narrowed my list from there.   

I would definitely brush up on studying for the gre if you're interested in retaking it.  I downloaded a magoosh app for my phone because I knew verbal was my weakest subject after taking a practice exam (I think I got 143).  Magoosh also offers apps for math and other sections of the exam, I believe, but you can also go to your library and borrow gre prep books to give you a better idea of how the test is formatted.  I like getting the books that show you the answers with explanations because I do better working backwards.  The gre is all about test taking strategies, so reading the techniques those prep books offer can be useful.   

Your extracurriculars look fine as they are.  I hope you get into the TSS position.  I'm sure you can get a strong LOR if you get in.  Best of luck to you!

I mean this in the most polite, sincere, and kind-hearted place I physically can. However you have a relatively low GPA for this field. Your verbal GRE score is the 37th percentile; math 8th and writing 38th. Having a lower GPA and GRE scores really damages your application. You have great extra curriculars, but that also never enough to balance both lower GPA and GRE scores.

In this field most schools look for a percentile score of 50th across all sections. Anything under 40th is concerning, while I've been told anything under 30th is a red flag. I don't know if programs like Magoosh will be enough to raise your score enough, and you might want to bite the bullet and pay for a professional prep class. Also, the ETS websites has all of the verbal and quanitative concepts covered. Here are the links to those PDFs/sites:

Math: https://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/gre_math_review.pdf

Verbal: https://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/prepare/verbal_reasoning/

Here are a list of all of the possible essays:

https://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/prepare/analytical_writing/issue/pool

https://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/prepare/analytical_writing/argument/pool

I think that boosting your GREs and making sure your personal statement is drop dead amazing! Also, if you find the GRE isn't a test that you are comparable with check out the Millers Analogy Test or MAT. It's another test that I did significantly better on. There is a chance you could too! There are several programs that accept MAT scores in place of the GRE. Gallaudet, Wichita State, and the University of Rhode Island are just a few schools that take the MAT. I'm sure there are more. I'm sure adding more to your resume will help, but I have a feeling it's the GRE scores that are killing you. Best of luck! 

Hey there! Just wanted to add that it's really impressive you've made it this far and are choosing to look forward and improve your application for next year. That shows perseverance and belief in yourself, both of which are integral to this process and to your future career! You come across as well-spoken and I'm sure that you have the ability to do well on the GRE, given the right preparation. It really is all about knowing what kinds of questions will be asked, the structure you need to use on the AW portion, etc. I'm just hoping that you don't feel too discouraged by some of the previous comments-- it seems like you've got the right balance between positivity/belief in yourself and an understanding that you need to make some changes. It's great that you know you DO have the ability to make those changes, so I wanted to reinforce that. :-) 

On 5/20/2016 at 3:48 PM, Cowsy said:

Hey there! Just wanted to add that it's really impressive you've made it this far and are choosing to look forward and improve your application for next year. That shows perseverance and belief in yourself, both of which are integral to this process and to your future career! You come across as well-spoken and I'm sure that you have the ability to do well on the GRE, given the right preparation. It really is all about knowing what kinds of questions will be asked, the structure you need to use on the AW portion, etc. I'm just hoping that you don't feel too discouraged by some of the previous comments-- it seems like you've got the right balance between positivity/belief in yourself and an understanding that you need to make some changes. It's great that you know you DO have the ability to make those changes, so I wanted to reinforce that. :-) 

Thanks so much! I know that I've made mistakes in the past, but I am very determined to change for the better and be accepted next application cycle! 

Advice I was given if not getting in this cycle was to email/call/send a letter to whomever sent you the rejection and ask them what was wrong with your application. It will show your passion, and they will have your name in the back of their hand next season when you possibly apply again. You'll also hopefully get feedback on what they like in an applicant 

• 1 year later...

Look for ways to volunteer at any school you're interested in. Getting to know the faculty is essential and also raising your scores. Also have an advisor or someone look over your application or contact schools for feedback.