Fall 2017 PhD Thread

Hope you all had a great ASC and had meaningful conversations with some of the faculty at the schools you're applying to!

My interests are now narrowed down to: (1) Northeastern; (2) MSU; (3) Cincinnati; (4) UC Irvine; (5) UT Dallas; (6) Cambridge

Hoping to get into the top three with good packages. I feel like the packages will determine where I end up choosing to go. The faculty at Northeastern didn't seem super caring as the other two (MSU and Cin), whereas Cincinnati seemed really interested, caring, and passionate about their students. 

PS. My writing score on the GRE came out. Got a 5.5/6 (98th percentile)! Thank God for that...giving how my Verbal score was 149 (42nd percentile) and 146 for Quantitative (24th percentile). If I do get in, it's because of my research experience and GPA. My GRE scores are just deplorable. Hoping to do them one more time in December and this time, hoping to be in the 150s range! 

@AspiringScholar17 I'm glad to hear you had some meaningful conversations with the faculty you're interested in working with.

Unfortunately, I was unable to make it to ASC.  On Friday the 11th, one of my dogs began acting strange.  Fast forward to that Monday, and she was in ICU at the local animal hospital.  The neurologist diagnosed with with an autoimmune disease that progresses at a rapid pace, and for a few days there, it was looking like we were going to have to euthanize her.  I made the decision to stay home and care for her since I was able to bring her home last Wednesday.  Fortunately, she has made great progress, and euthanasia seems very unlikely at this point.

@AspiringScholar17 Wow, that's an amazing writing score! Way to go!! Also happy to hear that you found Cincy & MSU to be very caring, that was the vibe I've gotten from them in my conversations with faculty. As far as financial packages go, I know both of them fully fund all of their doctoral students, so I'm hoping to get into at least one of them as well! I didn't attend ASC, my thesis defense is today (*fingers crossed it goes well*) so it would have been just too much to go to the conference the week before.

@OmarComin' I'm so sorry to hear about your dog, both of my cats have given me scares like that and it's so difficult. But I'm very happy to hear that she is doing better! Please keep us posted, I'll be keeping you in my thoughts.

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 7:49 PM, AspiringScholar17 said:

Hope you all had a great ASC and had meaningful conversations with some of the faculty at the schools you're applying to!

My interests are now narrowed down to: (1) Northeastern; (2) MSU; (3) Cincinnati; (4) UC Irvine; (5) UT Dallas; (6) Cambridge

Hoping to get into the top three with good packages. I feel like the packages will determine where I end up choosing to go. The faculty at Northeastern didn't seem super caring as the other two (MSU and Cin), whereas Cincinnati seemed really interested, caring, and passionate about their students. 

PS. My writing score on the GRE came out. Got a 5.5/6 (98th percentile)! Thank God for that...giving how my Verbal score was 149 (42nd percentile) and 146 for Quantitative (24th percentile). If I do get in, it's because of my research experience and GPA. My GRE scores are just deplorable. Hoping to do them one more time in December and this time, hoping to be in the 150s range! 

I'm curious to hear who you spoke to at Northeastern who gave you that impression. I might be able to provide you with a bit of context.

@OmarComin' im so sorry to hear about what you and your dog had to go through. Glad that things are shaping better now...! My thoughts and prayers are with you! Keep us updated! 

@aml149 good luck on your defense!! Im so excited for you!! 

@crim_phd id rather not say, but to clarify: it wasnt that they werent uncaring, but in comparison to the other schools, they didnt seem as enthusiastic. Again, its nothing on them. I just felt more attention at the other schools, thats all. 

Hey all, just wanted to join in this thread as I too submitted applications to criminal justice/criminology phd programs. Everything is in, let the waiting begin! I hoping that by having a different educational perspective (I am assuming coming from B.A. Psych, then clinical MSW) I might stand out a little. Waiting for a decision is going to be hell; does anyone have a good idea of when to expect schools to begin making decisions? I read that phd programs tend to make offers in waves so one could hear something in January, February, even March or April. If you know something, please share! I know we are all kind of competing, but at the same time we most likely have very different research interests, and from what I've heard that is very important. I for one am so glad I found this because no one else I know is applying to PhD programs; they are all taking the licensure test, looking for jobs, going for LCSW. Not ready for that...I'm too in love with research :) 

May the odds be ever in your favor.

Yeah, I can't believe I just said that either L:P

Ahhhhh, the memories. Can't say I'm jealous of all of you going through the application process. Just came back to say if anyone applying to Indiana would like to pick my brain just let me know!

Oh, I can also probably tell you about USC (the real USC, South Carolina!)

Good Luck guys!

Edited by KnowVac

On 12/4/2016 at 10:32 AM, RoadtoPhD said:

Welcome! I actually ran into another post of yours and saw you go to UCF, so do I! Where are you planning on applying?

Hey I applied to SHSU, UC, NC State, UCF, FSU, and UIC. What about you?? What are you studying at UCF?

Just did my second GRE exam and most likely my last. Luck had me being sick w the flu during my GRE endeavors this time around, so while i wasnt able to grab a high score, it was slightly better than my first: This time I did 152V, 148Q, and x for writing. My writing score hasnt come in yet , as i just finished my exam, but i suspect it to be around 4.5/6. My first round scores had my writing at 5.5/6 and since im submitting both of these scores, they should see that it wasnt just a fluke. 

3.2 undergrad, 4.0 grad gpa. 

1 peer-reviewed publication, 1 non peer reviewed publication, 6 under review, 3 in progress, and 3 conference presentations. Plus affiliations w two external research organizations. 

What do you guys think my chances are of being admitted? Applied to NE, MSU, UCincinnati, UCIrvine, and UTDallas. 

Made valuable connections w NE, MSU, and Cincinnati, but as we know, numbers probably speak louder than words. 

Have everything submitted! Just waiting on the reference letters to chime in. 

NERVOUS but excited! Social support and encouragements greatly needed and appreciated. Will repay w just as good social and emotional support!! : D 

Excited to say I got accepted to my first program: Temple University with full funding for four years! I've only applied to my top 6 programs so I'm pretty excited. Still on a waiting game / finishing up applications for the other ones that are due in January

@RoadtoPhDCONGRATS! Woohoo! That's exciting! 

I just submitted all of my January ones -- so the waiting game is official on! 

Waiting game ft. Cincinnati, Northeastern, MSU, UC Irvine, and UT Dallas! 

I wonder how many people they accept and when they'll notify us. Also, whats the interview process like? Do they have the right to waive your acceptance if your interview goes south? :o haha the nervousness and anxiety struggle is real. 

1 hour ago, AspiringScholar17 said:

@RoadtoPhDCONGRATS! Woohoo! That's exciting! 

I just submitted all of my January ones -- so the waiting game is official on! 

Waiting game ft. Cincinnati, Northeastern, MSU, UC Irvine, and UT Dallas! 

I wonder how many people they accept and when they'll notify us. Also, whats the interview process like? Do they have the right to waive your acceptance if your interview goes south? :o haha the nervousness and anxiety struggle is real. 

Also applying to cincy, northeastern, and Dallas! I actually talked to professors and some programs have weekends for already accepted students but I know northeastern won't accept you until right after the weekend interview so they can most definitely not accept you if they feel you made the wrong impression. Most schools also accept around 15 people. Hope this helps and who knows maybe we will end up in the same place!

@AspiringScholar17 I know Cincinnati & MSU don't have interviews prior to acceptance (thankfully! I'm not sure I could handle that). They both have the recruitment weekend, but it doesn't change whether you're accepted or not. (At least that's how it's been in the past and what they said when I spoke with them.)

I've looked through the results section here and for these two, it seems they typically notify accepted students around the end of January/early February. Just a month or so to go!

I'm waiting on Cincinnati, MSU, and Nebraska at Omaha. Best of luck to you all! I can't wait to see where we all end up!

We are indeed playing the waiting game now!
Haha, it definitely feels better knowing that we are all in this together. Time for constant updates whenever we get them! : )

Hoping for Cincy, MSU, and NE to offer me admissions! UCI and UTD are my alternate choices, but of course, the more options the better!

MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone!

On 2016-12-27 at 10:14 AM, OmarComin' said:

I sent applications to USF, FSU, MSU, UMSL, and UD.  I'm glad to have that over with, but now the waiting begins.  

Does anyone know what the interviews, if the school conducts them, typically consist of?

Good question...I'm awfully curious as well.
Perhaps the members from the 2016 forum can fill us in?

On 12/24/2016 at 10:31 PM, AspiringScholar17 said:

We are indeed playing the waiting game now!
Haha, it definitely feels better knowing that we are all in this together. Time for constant updates whenever we get them! : )

Hoping for Cincy, MSU, and NE to offer me admissions! UCI and UTD are my alternate choices, but of course, the more options the better!

MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone!

This waiting is the WORST. 

I tried thinking of something else to say but I'm so consumed with waiting anxiety I couldn't think of anything :/

@AspiringScholar17 I WANT TO GO TO ACJS SO BADLY. Kansas City, MI right? I've only been to social work conferences. I would need to find a crazy cheap room to stay, crazy cheap flight, and volunteer to avoid fees but I SO want to go. Have you been?

8 hours ago, PhDorBUST said:

@AspiringScholar17 I WANT TO GO TO ACJS SO BADLY. Kansas City, MI right? I've only been to social work conferences. I would need to find a crazy cheap room to stay, crazy cheap flight, and volunteer to avoid fees but I SO want to go. Have you been?

I MIGHT be able to help defray the cost by sharing a room. I say might because I'm not a definite on going.

@smcg I won't know if I am going for a WHILE so if you decide or wanna book a room through booking.com where we can cancel for free and pay when we get there, just in case we end up going, I'm totally down for sharing a room. I'm gonna need to know some stuff about you though, like are you a serial killer and generally what temperature do you like the room to be? LOL the important things, right?

@AspiringScholar17Now I really really want to go to ACJS I would love to meet people that I will hopefully be in the same cohort with!