Fall 2017 PhD Thread

39 minutes ago, aml149 said:

My professor is also a Cincinnati alum, and she was there visiting last week or the week before. They told her we should know by the end of January. Looks like it could be 20-something, maybe the last Friday of the month, since that looks to be when they found out last year (so maybe only 10 more days?!). She also told me if I hadn't heard anything from them by next week, she'd email them and ask when they'd be meeting. I'll keep you informed! I really hope the applicant weekend isn't at the end of February, though, I'm going to be on a family vacation - noooo!

@aml149 Do you know if MSU and Cincinnati give out admissions notice all at the same time?

22 minutes ago, wknd_worrier said:

Hi! I applied to George Mason, but nothing yet for me. I'm a little nervous ab that one though (it had the same deadline as Maryland and was the wk before finals so I ran out of time to spend as much time as I would've liked tailoring my SOP) so I might not be the greatest judge for them :wacko:

I saw that their deadline was pretty early - I know my friend was rushing to finish her application on time as well. Best of luck to you, though! I'll be watching for updates from you!

10 minutes ago, AspiringScholar17 said:

@aml149 Do you know if MSU and Cincinnati give out admissions notice all at the same time?

I don't know for sure, but I believe both schools only do one round of acceptances. At least that's how both made it sound when I talked with the grad directors (plus the past couple of years' forums and results page seem to suggest that no one got in off the waitlist). Now whether those acceptances all go out at the same time, I have no clue, but I would think so.

5 minutes ago, RoadtoPhD said:

@aml149 @AspiringScholar17 I've been in contact with the grad director from cincy and he said they're meeting early next week and announcing soon after that- around ten days or so!

I don't know if this makes me less anxious or more anxious lol. I got an email from Cincy today and almost had a heart attack - then saw it was just the "your application is complete" email. I don't know if I can handle this!

The official countdown is on: Early next week with notice shortly thereafter. Ten days or so means Jan 27(Friday)!

Let's hang on tight, yall! Wishing everyone the best.
Hopefully we can wrestle with our anxieties for 10 more days and then bathe in champagne afterwards!

On 1/17/2017 at 4:39 PM, AspiringScholar17 said:

@HerbieLove I promised myself not to check back on this forum so frequently until I got in to a place, but i find myself starring at this page on both my computer and my phone every chance I get. 

Don't worry, you're not the only one! Haha. Anyone else just get an email from the Cincinnati graduate secretary today updating them on the status of their application? She said in the email that the committee "will be meeting soon" to review apps. I hope @aml149 is right and we hear back next week because I'm starting to get anxious!!!! Lol.

On 1/17/2017 at 4:43 PM, aml149 said:

I'm just working at the university where I did my Master's, with my professor who has employed me since I began the program. My first year I worked as a TA, and then I was an RA for the rest of my time. She wanted to help keep me employed as long as she could before I (hopefully) started a PhD. We're evaluating a program that provides housing and services to homeless individuals in our city.

My professor is also a Cincinnati alum, and she was there visiting last week or the week before. They told her we should know by the end of January. Looks like it could be 20-something, maybe the last Friday of the month, since that looks to be when they found out last year (so maybe only 10 more days?!). She also told me if I hadn't heard anything from them by next week, she'd email them and ask when they'd be meeting. I'll keep you informed! I really hope the applicant weekend isn't at the end of February, though, I'm going to be on a family vacation - noooo!

I saw on the results page someone was informed of an acceptance to MSU on the same day as Cincinnati, so I'm hoping they'll both be end of January! I don't know if I can wait til mid-February!

That sounds like fantastic experience! Bet that it will look awesome to the admissions committees (plus working with a Cincy alum can't hurt there :) ). Thanks so much for the info too. I don't think I can wait until February either. Eeeeeeek!

1 hour ago, HerbieLove said:

Don't worry, you're not the only one! Haha. Anyone else just get an email from the Cincinnati graduate secretary today updating them on the status of their application? She said in the email that the committee "will be meeting soon" to review apps. I hope @aml149 is right and we hear back next week because I'm starting to get anxious!!!! Lol.

That sounds like fantastic experience! Bet that it will look awesome to the admissions committees (plus working with a Cincy alum can't hurt there :) ). Thanks so much for the info too. I don't think I can wait until February either. Eeeeeeek!

Yeah, I got my email from Cincinnati on Tuesday and had a mini heart attack before I realized it was nothing lol.

I'm hoping the connection will help! If I don't hear from anywhere before February I might actually lose my mind, haha (but like seriously). This waiting is horrendous!

@HerbieLove i got my email from cincinnati In early jan saying that my application was complete and that the committee will meet sometime in mid january for review! I guess thats because I submitted my app early -- but yes, while my email says "will be meeting in mid-January" as opposed to "will be meeting soon", i assume its the same type of email just w updated information. 

If our estimations are correct, next week will be quite intense w notifications. I am no longer excited -- 100% anxiety now. Really cant wait to hear back from any one school !

12 minutes ago, Brooke2016 said:

Accepted and fully funded to UMASS! I feel terrible about continually posting good news while many of you are still lying in wait. I pray for the best for all of you.

Congrats!! :D 

Cheers !! :) 

Edited by AspiringScholar17

8 hours ago, Brooke2016 said:

Accepted and fully funded to UMASS! I feel terrible about continually posting good news while many of you are still lying in wait. I pray for the best for all of you.

Congrats! Get to celebrating!

11 hours ago, wknd_worrier said:

Does anyone have any insight on where Maryland might be in the process/when they might be meeting/etc. ? 

Based on the results page, the only indication is around the end of February/beginning of March. I don't know anyone else who applied, so I'm not really sure :-/ You can email them and ask when you could expect to hear something/when they will meet. Seems as though many people have done that for other places.

13 hours ago, aml149 said:

Based on the results page, the only indication is around the end of February/beginning of March. I don't know anyone else who applied, so I'm not really sure :-/ You can email them and ask when you could expect to hear something/when they will meet. Seems as though many people have done that for other places.

Hmm I saw that but was hoping for earlier since it just seems odd since the deadline was in December :/ thank you though!

On 1/21/2017 at 8:30 PM, AspiringScholar17 said:

Has anyone contacted msu about admissions notices? Cincinnati seems to be coming this week, but was wondering if msu is also the same. 

MSU will notify applicants of admission decisions 4-5 weeks after their January 10 deadline.

@Brooke2016 @RoadtoPhD Congrats!!!!

On 1/19/2017 at 11:55 PM, Brooke2016 said:

Don't feel terrible - you deserve to celebrate the good news!!!

@AspiringScholar17 @aml149 @RoadtoPhD Since we appear to be coming down to judgement day for Cincy...GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!!!! (and anyone else I may have missed who applied there!!!!) I hope we all get in. AHHHHH.

3 minutes ago, HerbieLove said:

@AspiringScholar17 @aml149 @RoadtoPhD Since we appear to be coming down to judgement day for Cincy...GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!!!! (and anyone else I may have missed who applied there!!!!) I hope we all get in. AHHHHH.

Good luck to you as well! At least the waiting will be over soon(ish)!