Fall 2017 PhD Thread

2 minutes ago, HedgieLove said:

I think I kind of know what you mean about that feeling. The first time I applied to PhD programs, I applied to 10 and I got more and more impatient as decisions started coming in. For me IDK if I'd call it chasing a high though, it was more like an "OMG this process has taken so damn long I just want it to be over already and know where I'm going to be next year" type of vibe. Congrats on the admissions and good luck with your other apps!

Yeah, it really wasn't the right analogy. It really is, as you mentioned, more of that desire to just be finished. I just want to be able to make my final decision. Although, that moment of anticipation right before you find out the decision, whether accepted or rejected, is sort of like a high. And the high just continues if you get accepted. 

Good luck to you as well, HedgieLove!

11 hours ago, Square49 said:

Yeah, it really wasn't the right analogy. It really is, as you mentioned, more of that desire to just be finished. I just want to be able to make my final decision. Although, that moment of anticipation right before you find out the decision, whether accepted or rejected, is sort of like a high. And the high just continues if you get accepted. 

Good luck to you as well, HedgieLove!

While I've never "chased a high," I understand your analogy. Notifications come so unexpectedly and few and far between that when your email does show one, there is an almost instant dopamine dump (at least for me). This is followed by a temporary inability to read complete sentences so I look for key words such as "congratulations" "accepted" and "regret." If the positive keywords are identified, the euphoric feeling is amazing. I then return to homeostasis and I can read the entire email in detail.

6 minutes ago, Brooke2016 said:

While I've never "chased a high," I understand your analogy. Notifications come so unexpectedly and few and far between that when your email does show one, there is an almost instant dopamine dump (at least for me). This is followed by a temporary inability to read complete sentences so I look for key words such as "congratulations" "accepted" and "regret." If the positive keywords are identified, the euphoric feeling is amazing. I then return to homeostasis and I can read the entire email in detail.

Lol, I love your description. That is EXACTLY what it feels like for me too!

59 minutes ago, Brooke2016 said:

Couldn't have said it better. 

Dear Admissions Committee Members:

I regret to inform you that I have rejected your rejection letter. While I appreciate the time that it took for you to review my application and deliberate over it, I cannot offer you my acceptance of your rejection at this time. I look forward to joining you in the fall. Per usual agreements, you have until April 15 to accept my rejection of your rejection. Should you not, I will be forced to attend with full tuition waiver, a stipend of at least, if not more than, $35,000 per semester, and a health insurance subsidy equal to, if not more than, the best health insurance offered to CEO's of companies in the fortune 500.

I appreciate your willingness to say "no." Please accept my sincere hopes that you have more success in the future with rejection letters. 

Sincerely,

The rejection committee.

I called, they made some decisions, they're meeting again (tomorrow?) she couldn't tell me anything because the director was out. Just kill me. Sitting here with a torn meniscus and ACL and every school is torturing meeee and I'm totally regressing right now but no one gets it!!! AAHG!

10 minutes ago, PhDorBUST said:

Where have all of you been all day??? It was like I was actually waiting in agony ALONE! Anyone hear anything? Any little thing?

I was informed that I will be receiving an offer for an assistantship from FSU's grad director.