Fall 2017 PhD Thread

@AspiringScholar17 This is the only thing mentioned on the website:
Invitations will be extended for an on-campus visit for prospective students
Dates of visit:  January 26-27, 2017
The visit will start with dinner with current graduate students on the 26th, and will end with dinner with department faculty on the 27th

I thought it was rather soon considering that the deadline was only Jan. 1st. 

@OptimiscallyAnxious I saw that too on their website as soon as I read your post! Agreed, I think it is rather soon -- but no complaints from me!

Were you offered an interview already? Or were you just asking if anyone has been offered an interview?

Edited by AspiringScholar17

7 minutes ago, AspiringScholar17 said:

@OptimiscallyAnxious I saw that too on their website as soon as I read your post! Agreed, I think it is rather soon -- but no complaints from me!

Were you offered an interview already? Or were you just asking if anyone has been offered an interview?

I haven't heard anything and was wondering if anyone had been offered one. 

On 1/10/2017 at 0:59 AM, AspiringScholar17 said:

Regardless of where it was, Im super happy for all of those that got in! Kudos do you all! You are all well deserving of a spot -- let's hope some of us also get placements to schools. 

It seems like Cincy is a common school among many of us --competition is bound to be tight. May the best few win! 

Im still debaing where the best fit for me would be. Should I pick the school that i have the best fit w in terms of faculty, the school reputation, or the location and funding package? 

Here's how I think I'd rank those things: 1) fit, 2)reputation, 3)funding, 4)location

What about you?

5 hours ago, OptimiscallyAnxious said:

@AspiringScholar17 This is the only thing mentioned on the website:
Invitations will be extended for an on-campus visit for prospective students
Dates of visit:  January 26-27, 2017
The visit will start with dinner with current graduate students on the 26th, and will end with dinner with department faculty on the 27th

I thought it was rather soon considering that the deadline was only Jan. 1st. 

Holy crap that is soon! I hope they notify you all ASAP!

@HerbieLove i would rank fit first, followed by funding, then reputation, then location. 

As many on this forum have also said, most schools are reputable in the field and at the end of the day, its your fit w a program and faculty that is going to push you to keep going and produce excellent work. 

That is not to say the others aren't important-- because they most definitely are. 

UCI is amazing. I hope i get an interview! Honestly, id be humbled to get admitted into any one of my options -- it was a no brainer to apply to any one of the schools i submitted packages for. Hoping for the best! : )

3 hours ago, phdincrim2017 said:

No one has been offered an interview. Those invitations should come out in the next few days. 

UCI pays for the flight, hotel, meals, etc. 

Thank you for the info! This really helps! Hopefully i'll be one of the few lucky recipients of an interview! : D 

Hey everyone! I was accepted to SUNY Albany yesterday. Got an email from the Dean saying I should be getting a formal letter in the mail soon with parameters for funding.

I am honestly stupefied; my first round of applying and I get into my first choice program!!! I can answer any questions if anyone is interested. Goodluck everyone else!!!

@AspiringScholar17 @phdincrim2017 I didn't apply to UCI but I looked into it and last year applications were due in the beginning of November so those applicants were let known in mid December about interviewing in January. If you look through old threads most of them received word by then. I'm guessing they didn't update the interview dates to match the later deadline but I'd give it the same sort of timeline if that makes sense! 

8 hours ago, HerbieLove said:

Does anyone know what the Cincy interviews look like, or if they just accept? Sorry if this has been asked before.

No interviews for Cincy, just straight acceptances. Should be sent out by the end of the month, too! (According to the grad director.)

13 hours ago, AspiringScholar17 said:

@HerbieLove i would rank fit first, followed by funding, then reputation, then location. 

As many on this forum have also said, most schools are reputable in the field and at the end of the day, its your fit w a program and faculty that is going to push you to keep going and produce excellent work. 

That is not to say the others aren't important-- because they most definitely are. 

UCI is amazing. I hope i get an interview! Honestly, id be humbled to get admitted into any one of my options -- it was a no brainer to apply to any one of the schools i submitted packages for. Hoping for the best! : )

I totally agree. I am having a hard time figuring out how to rank my programs I applied to. Promised myself I won't decide anything until I visit and see which is the best fit!

Crossing my fingers you get an interview at UCI (and the others you applied to)!!! :-)

5 hours ago, aml149 said:

No interviews for Cincy, just straight acceptances. Should be sent out by the end of the month, too! (According to the grad director.)

Thank you so much! The end of the month?!!?! Ahhhhhh!!! Now the long wait!!!!

6 hours ago, warwick said:

Hey everyone! I was accepted to SUNY Albany yesterday. Got an email from the Dean saying I should be getting a formal letter in the mail soon with parameters for funding.

I am honestly stupefied; my first round of applying and I get into my first choice program!!! I can answer any questions if anyone is interested. Goodluck everyone else!!!

Congrats!!! I got in as well, so we may be cohort mates! 1st choice and 1st round?! Go you!!! That's awesome!!!

...btw sorry everyone, I just figured out I could quote more than one post in a reply....so I can stop spamming the board now replying to multiple posts... :blink:

Congrats @HerbieLove & @warwick on Albany! What a relief it must be knowing you'll get to go somewhere (and a great program at that)! 

@HerbieLove I am going insane already with this wait, but I keep trying to just focus on counting down the days until January 31st since we'll hopefully know by then! (It's not helping any with the anxiety, though, I'll admit!)

Congratulations to those offered admissions!!! I wish I where in your shoes.

As for UCI I just confirmed with graduate coordinator that interviews will take place on January 26 & 27. They also mentioned that invitations will be sent out "within the next couple of days." So good luck to all those who applied, hopefully we'll hear good news soon. 

2 hours ago, OptimiscallyAnxious said:

Congratulations to those offered admissions!!! I wish I where in your shoes.

As for UCI I just confirmed with graduate coordinator that interviews will take place on January 26 & 27. They also mentioned that invitations will be sent out "within the next couple of days." So good luck to all those who applied, hopefully we'll hear good news soon. 

@OptimiscallyAnxious i honestly didnt get a good nights sleep last night because of the anxiety! Eeks! Few more days? Does that include weekends (clear signs of anxiety)?! Haha. 

Cheers to both you and I on UCI!! 

Edited by AspiringScholar17

13 hours ago, AspiringScholar17 said:

@HerbieLove congrats as well for getting into SUNY! Thats a top 2 program in the country! Woohoo! Cheers to you both :) 

Thanks so much! 

12 hours ago, aml149 said:

Congrats @HerbieLove & @warwick on Albany! What a relief it must be knowing you'll get to go somewhere (and a great program at that)! 

@HerbieLove I am going insane already with this wait, but I keep trying to just focus on counting down the days until January 31st since we'll hopefully know by then! (It's not helping any with the anxiety, though, I'll admit!)

Thank you! Oh god me too. I'm really really interested in Cincy so I'm impatient as hell to hear back from them! At least I'm in school so trying to focus on that to distract me but it's not working so well...

Which btw does anyone know when Cincys recruitment days were previously? I've been trying to find them in previous threads but there is so much content there it is getting confusing...

@OptimiscallyAnxious Someone got offered an invitation for an interview from UCI -- check the other recent thread on this gradcafe forum!

I assume it was sent out through email, but I checked my UCI application tracker and mine still says "being reviewed". I assume they would send them all at the same time, but i may be wrong.
Did you hear back from UCI? The person who was offered the invite posted approx 10 hours ago? Meaning, it was offered yesterday to them.