Fall 2017 PhD Thread

Hey guys, if a program director asks to set up a time to speak briefly over the phone with you...what do you prepare for? Like....how does one prepare for a conversation that you have no idea what it is about???

55 minutes ago, PhDorBUST said:

Hey guys, if a program director asks to set up a time to speak briefly over the phone with you...what do you prepare for? Like....how does one prepare for a conversation that you have no idea what it is about???

That's a tough question, but I would just go look over the faculty member's CV that you want to work with again. You should know what they've been working on and have a grasp on it as well. Beyond that, I would just say maintain that fine line between confidence and humility. 

Additional tip: drink a cup of chamomile tea before hand. It will take a little of the anxiety out of the conversation. 

3 minutes ago, AspiringScholar17 said:

CONGRATS @aml149 ! Just Cincy left noww!

Hope you go 3/3 and complete the PhD admissions sweep! :)

Thank you!! I'm so excited to visit, after speaking with the grad director it seems to be an even better fit than I thought! Now if Cincinnati would just send out those decisions....

37 minutes ago, PhDorBUST said:

@aml149 @RoadtoPhD @Square49 @AspiringScholar17 

What is everyone's top choice or ranking of programs? 1 being first choice.

I'm so mixed up at this point I have no idea. To be fair I only have 3 to decide between (2 right now actually), but they all have strong points for me. I won't know until I visit everywhere! :)