Fall 2017 PhD Thread

@wknd_worrier it was so nerve racking and it was...a weird conversation. It was like, we aaaalmost picked you, but now you're on like an unofficial waitlist so yeah! Now can you explain this statistics grade from a decade ago? It's pretty much why we are hesitant.

Smile when you talk, k? People can hear it. Can I ask who you're talking to cuz that's exciting!

5 hours ago, PhDorBUST said:

@wknd_worrier it was so nerve racking and it was...a weird conversation. It was like, we aaaalmost picked you, but now you're on like an unofficial waitlist so yeah! Now can you explain this statistics grade from a decade ago? It's pretty much why we are hesitant.

Smile when you talk, k? People can hear it. Can I ask who you're talking to cuz that's exciting!

Ah damn that's so frustrating :/ don't lose hope! One of my professors told me he got accepted off the unofficial wait list for umsl like April 4th so hell of a wait but alls well that ends well:) It was the director at penn state! It was good mostly receiving info about the program my throat went dry so I would try to occasionally say things and like croak them out I'm awful on the phone hahaha 

Hey everyone, I have a question/need advice. So I mainly applied to PhD programs, but I also applied to a couple Masters programs as a backup. One of them wants me to fly out there for a interview. They don't pay for any travel/hotel expenses.

I am interested in this program, but I just don't know if it's worth it to fly out for so much when they don't cover anything and it's kind of expensive. Has anyone dealt with this? Would it be appropriate to ask to do a skype interview instead?

2 hours ago, PhDorBUST said:

@Waitingforgrad I don't see the harm in asking if they could do a Skype interview. That can't be an unusual request. Just say how much you would love to visit and interview in person, but it just isn't feasible financially 

@Waitingforgrad Totally agree with @PhDorBUST. I would email them to see if they would be willing to do something on Skype. I would make sure that they know it's because of financial constraints as opposed to a lack of care or unwillingness, but I would totally ask. 

3 hours ago, AspiringScholar17 said:

@Waitingforgrad Totally agree with @PhDorBUST. I would email them to see if they would be willing to do something on Skype. I would make sure that they know it's because of financial constraints as opposed to a lack of care or unwillingness, but I would totally ask. 

Thank you both so much!

54 minutes ago, PhDorBUST said:

Thank you :) I have never been, and Texas is pretty much the last person anyone ever expected me to end up so it's pretty cool. 

I saw the campus tour drone videos on youtube and it looks like a very pretty campus! The program is also climbing up the ranks!
Say hello to my friend that I introduced you to for me :) the faculty there is great -- you'll love them. Dr. King is a very humble and amazing man.

1 hour ago, PhDorBUST said:

@RoadtoPhD if you go to UT Dallas I'm visiting!

Never been too Texas but heard it's a great time! But ugh I recently checked over my application and it turns out they never received my transcripts (official or unofficial) even though I sent over both, so as of now they can't look at my application. Kinda bummed :/

20 minutes ago, RoadtoPhD said:

Never been too Texas but heard it's a great time! But ugh I recently checked over my application and it turns out they never received my transcripts (official or unofficial) even though I sent over both, so as of now they can't look at my application. Kinda bummed :/

Is that what it says on Galaxy? I emailed the enrollment department about that (because I got those things appearing on my application as well), and the rep told me that they just didn't update their page, but that my files have been received. I can send you the person's email if you want to send them an email too to check! :)

10 hours ago, AspiringScholar17 said:

Is that what it says on Galaxy? I emailed the enrollment department about that (because I got those things appearing on my application as well), and the rep told me that they just didn't update their page, but that my files have been received. I can send you the person's email if you want to send them an email too to check! :)

I emailed someone in the department who said they see no sign of my transcripts but what email did you use? Maybe it will be more help! Did you send over official transcripts too?

3 hours ago, RoadtoPhD said:

I emailed someone in the department who said they see no sign of my transcripts but what email did you use? Maybe it will be more help! Did you send over official transcripts too?

I only sent in my unofficial transcripts with the online application -- did not actually mail in my official transcripts.

On 2/3/2017 at 11:37 PM, RoadtoPhD said:

Something similar happened to me with UCI. I checked over my application and saw that they never received my GRE scores, so I feel your pain. 

Officially rejected from Sam Houston.

How can one be accepted to the 7th ranked school in the country and rejected from #22?

So far, I have 2 acceptances with no funding, 1 rejection and 2 outstanding. I very much, heavily, extremely dislike this process.... with prejudice.

2 hours ago, Brooke2016 said:

How can one be accepted to the 7th ranked school in the country and rejected from #22?

So far, I have 2 acceptances with no funding, 1 rejection and 2 outstanding. I very much, heavily, extremely dislike this process.... with prejudice.

There are a few potential reasons, but sometimes the lower ranked schools reject you if they think you're likely to be accepted to a better program and are applying to their program in order to set up a safety net. It's like applying to a job one is overqualified to work at. 

6 hours ago, Brooke2016 said:

Keep your head up!! The process Is most definitely not fun, but also have to think that even if you don't have funding now doesn't mean you won't get it later on once people start accepting/rejecting offers. What schools are you waiting on?

24 minutes ago, iquit said:

Hello, just found this thread. Congrats to everyone!

I was admitted to FSU mid-December and have not heard of funding as of yet...is anyone else having the same problem?

A  few of us have found out about funding. They may be waiting to hear back from those who were offered funding but don't accept the offer so that they can offer those assistantships to other applicants.