Fall 2017 PhD Thread

17 minutes ago, Brooke2016 said:

Thanks for including me! It's like high school gym class all over again!!

As of now, I'm leaning towards SUNY. But I'm still waiting on other decisions and visits. 

What about you Brooke?

On 12/27/2016 at 10:14 AM, OmarComin' said:

I sent applications to USF, FSU, MSU, UMSL, and UD.  I'm glad to have that over with, but now the waiting begins.  

Does anyone know what the interviews, if the school conducts them, typically consist of?

Very late to the party; I do apologize! I'm currently at UD (in sociology, which is the same department as criminology here). I was actually invited to visit twice. The first year (2014), UD invited top candidates without offering acceptances/funding. They told me "we really love your application, but we can't make an offer just yet." They made their decisions after the visit. However, it was never framed as an interview, and you weren't sat down in a room with your POI and grilled or anything! It was a nice visit where we got to meet faculty and graduate students over meals and on campus.

The second year (2016, after going to a different master's program), I was happily surprised to find that they offered acceptance and full funding *before* inviting top candidates to visit. 

So, they seemed to have switched from the "we are interested in you; visit us and then we'll make our decisions" model to the "we accept you to our program, come on over to visit" model. 

This could, of course, change. Idk much about what's going on with the decision process at the moment, as I'm still out of state (classes don't start til February here). But current students were invited via email to recruitment events that take place in early March. I sadly won't be at the opening dinner, which they have scheduled during class :-(

Best of luck to you all. I hope this is helpful in some way. I know during the 2014 & 2016 cycle, I was looking for any morsel of information I could, to get me through... It's such a trying process, this entire thing, and especially the waiting. 

10 hours ago, PhDorBUST said:

I was offered admission to South Florida. However, there was no mention of funding. I read the 2016/15/14 threads and it looks like if you are not offered funding in the initial email, chances are slim. Does anyone have any info?

23 minutes ago, Brooke2016 said:

I was offered admission to South Florida. However, there was no mention of funding. I read the 2016/15/14 threads and it looks like if you are not offered funding in the initial email, chances are slim. Does anyone have any info?

Not sure. My initial email from SUNY didn't have info with funding, but it said it would come soon after and the offer came within a couple days. So it's possible! When were you admitted to USF?

34 minutes ago, Brooke2016 said:

Sup, y'all. Figured I would pop in to give a heads up on funding at USF (I am from the 2016 cohort). 

As of right now, there are three slots with funding available, which is why there have been no funding decisions yet. That said, they were able to find funding for some of my cohort that weren't offered at the initial acceptance. So don't give up hope yet! 

On 1/28/2017 at 11:25 AM, Brooke2016 said:

I just got official word... no funding FSU.

Me again: I wouldn't take this one personally, I have heard that FSU rarely offers funding to first year students. 

44 minutes ago, Cedodge said:

Me again: I wouldn't take this one personally, I have heard that FSU rarely offers funding to first year students. 

Heard the same about FSU. Cincy is my ultimate, I hope I get in I think I would die. So many profs research what I'm into it's basically a perfect fit ugh I wish I'd had more time to study for the GRE I would have done so much better on quant since I basically haven't needed to do math in 10 years. I can relearn it I promise!!!!

2 hours ago, HedgieLove said:

Not sure. My initial email from SUNY didn't have info with funding, but it said it would come soon after and the offer came within a couple days. So it's possible! When were you admitted to USF?

Last night... 7:30

1 hour ago, Cedodge said:

Sup, y'all. Figured I would pop in to give a heads up on funding at USF (I am from the 2016 cohort). 

As of right now, there are three slots with funding available, which is why there have been no funding decisions yet. That said, they were able to find funding for some of my cohort that weren't offered at the initial acceptance. So don't give up hope yet! 

Thank you for the info. Any idea how many acceptances? In other words, how many people are battling it out for the 3 slots?

3 minutes ago, AspiringScholar17 said:

Do they have a campus visitation scheduled? It didn't seem like they had one in the email :|

I'll be very disappointed if there isn't one. I need to visit all 3 in order to make my decision :-/