2017 Computational Biology/Biomedical Informatics PhD Applicants and Admission Results

Oddich55

8 minutes ago, Born-to-pipette said:

Hello all! Would any of you happen to know what's a good way to cluster RNA-seq data based on whether they express a pre-defined set of genes? The software I'm using / finding just seem to do unsupervised clustering / pair-wise / differential expression etc. My only informatics education has been generously (and solely) supplied by Google, so any suggestions would be appreciated! Apologies for the entirely non-relevant post -- I promise this will be the only one. Please message if y'all have a minute to spare :D 

Haha! Hey there! I might be able to help - but I need a little more info on what exact data you have and what are you trying to do! =).  Are you trying to make a tree to see which set of genes are in each organism? Or...?

18 minutes ago, Oddich55 said:

Also!

Interview at Columbia University - Biomedical Informatics! January 27 - January 28th.

Woot! Replying on both threads because I'm so anxious to hear back from my programs lol. I might have applied to both CS and BI at columbia except it said explicitly on the application "If you apply to two programs at columbia, both of your applications are subject to dismissal" or something like that.

Edited by AGradStudentHasNoName

3 minutes ago, AGradStudentHasNoName said:

Woot! Replying on both threads because I'm so anxious to hear back from my programs lol. I might have applied to both CS and BI at columbia except it said explicitly on the application "If you apply to two programs at columbia, both of your applications are subject to dismissal" or something like that.

Me too lol! But I only applied BMI.

Good luck! =)

On 12/17/2016 at 3:00 PM, Oddich55 said:

Thats awesome!

I'm happy for ya!

Thanks, I think having an undergrad in CS and will have a Master's in Bioinformatics in the Spring gives me a small leg up for some of these programs.

On 12/17/2016 at 3:03 PM, Lurpelis said:

Thanks, I think having an undergrad in CS and will have a Master's in Bioinformatics in the Spring gives me a small leg up for some of these programs. 

That sounds about right :).

im applying with a BS in Bioinformatics/BS in Biology straight out of undergrad! You are definitely plenty competitive if you have research!

1 hour ago, AGradStudentHasNoName said:

The silence...

Anything to report guys? Still nothing here.

The struggle is real lol.

7 minutes ago, Oddich55 said:

Me too :(.

I got nothing. Didn't seem like anyone else here got anything either :/. The wait continues. 

We are the watchers on the wall....

I'm a computational biologist at the Broad Institute working in an HMS lab, went to Harvard for undergrad. I applied for mostly genetics programs bc I'm more interested in sequence analysis in epigenetic contexts, but I'm also waiting on UW Genome Sciences and Harvard Systems Biology in the computational biology category. Let me know if you hear from either!

The silence from Seattle continues... They have sent out invites on December 17th for most years so they are behind schedule. They had a Faculty meeting on the 12th before their holiday party according to their calendar... I really have a hard time believing that nobody here is going to get an invite from them. @Epigenetics working at the Broad/HMS, I'm at 10x genomics, @Oddich55 seemingly getting every interview invite under the sun... I don't buy it. Someone here is getting an invite. I know several students there and my background is better (not trying to brag, it's just my honest opinion). Some years the rejections went out on December 18th lol. They had to be running late THIS year.

8 minutes ago, AGradStudentHasNoName said:

The silence from Seattle continues... They have sent out invites on December 17th for most years so they are behind schedule. They had a Faculty meeting on the 12th before their holiday party according to their calendar... I really have a hard time believing that nobody here is going to get an invite from them. @Epigenetics working at the Broad/HMS, I'm at 10x genomics, @Oddich55 seemingly getting every interview invite under the sun... I don't buy it. Someone here is getting an invite. I know several students there and my background is better (not trying to brag, it's just my honest opinion). Some years the rejections went out on December 18th lol. They had to be running late THIS year.

Yeah man. The silence is deafening - from a lot of schools... I have UCSD, Berkeley, Stanford (I know this one is usually in January), Harvard, Northwestern, UWashington, Cornell Tri and Harvard out... Not sure what's up or what's going on.

I feel like at least one of us here should get interviews at these programs... I just keep checking back anxiously here =P

8 minutes ago, Oddich55 said:

Yeah man. The silence is deafening - from a lot of schools... I have UCSD, Berkeley, Stanford (I know this one is usually in January), Harvard, Northwestern, UWashington, Cornell Tri and Harvard out... Not sure what's up or what's going on.

I feel like at least one of us here should get interviews at these programs... I just keep checking back anxiously here =P

I've already gotten Harvard BBS, Berkeley MCB, and UCSF Tetrad. I think Stanford and MIT tend to be January, but we should hear from UW Genome Sciences and Harvard Sys Bio before the break?

1 minute ago, Epigenetics said:

I've already gotten Harvard BBS, Berkeley MCB, and UCSF Tetrad. I think Stanford and MIT tend to be January, but we should hear from UW Genome Sciences and Harvard Sys Bio before the break?

Yeah... I'm waiting for Harvard BIG (Biomedical Informatics), Berkeley Comp Bio - no one seems to have heard anything from those programs yet. I applied Biomedical Informatics to UW - but haven't heard from them yet either. I haven't met anyone else on here applying for Biomedical Informatics yet though - so... just not sure!

3 minutes ago, SysEvo said:

Harvard SysBio used to be released in the same day as BBS.... So that makes pretty anxious... don't know if the invitations are out and just nobody posted the result here...

Yeah... That's what I'm worried about too. *shrugs*