2017 Computational Biology/Biomedical Informatics PhD Applicants and Admission Results

Oddich55

45 minutes ago, systemicpoisoning said:

Is it safe to assume that the administrative staff at most programs are on vacation? 

I haven't heard back from anyone this week - so a lot are =P.

1 hour ago, SystemsBioYu said:

That is nice. I will visit UCSD 2.3. I am not familiar with these programs. Do your guys have ideas about the admission rate for the interviews? At least Cornell Tri-I seems invites a lot of people.

Depends on the school! Cornell Tri's website states that they interview about 20 and accept about half (there were 13 students that entered in 2016). I think about 50% is normal-ish. Probably higher for a lot of schools.

20 hours ago, systemicpoisoning said:

Yes. I guess i have to go ahead and book a flight before they explicitly tell me to do so?

It is still cheap, but i expected them to urge fast booking to reduce flight costs haha. Maybe im being stingy 

I wouldn't book the flight yourself if they didn't say so in the email. All of the schools I'm interviewing for either told me to book through their travel agency (Harvard BBS and UW Genome Sciences) or that they'd book it for me (Harvard SysBio). I'd assume BIG is similar!

On 12/28/2016 at 3:43 PM, Oddich55 said:

I haven't heard back from anyone this week - so a lot are =P.

Depends on the school! Cornell Tri's website states that they interview about 20 and accept about half (there were 13 students that entered in 2016). I think about 50% is normal-ish. Probably higher for a lot of schools.

Wow, 50% is not a good enough number. Seems to be a tough journey. 

Hey guys, for those of you (like me) who applied to UCSF Bioinformatics, they seemed to have posted admission statistics already?? I'm not sure what to make of this...

Although, they've merged a few subdivisions of iPQB into one recently; bioinformatics used to have its own page.

http://graduate.ucsf.edu/programs/ipqb-admissions-and-enrollment

On 12/28/2016 at 1:43 PM, Oddich55 said:

That assumes a near 100% enrollment of accepted students. This cannot be the case, can it?

@Lindsay1807's post above shows last year's numbers and before. The one missing number is how many interviewed. I expect not many more interviewed than were offered admission. They have to assume that at least some of the people they offer admission will take an offer from a different school even for top programs because those people are likely to get into other top programs.

Edited by AGradStudentHasNoName

Hey has anyone gotten any instructions from UCSD about travel? In the invite email it said they'd send instructions when you confirmed but I haven't heard anything back?

I'm going the later weekend and I'm going to have to fly from there straight to the Tri-I interview...if anyone else is doing that we should try to get on the same flight (or more importantly hit the airport bar before the flight). 

11 hours ago, AGradStudentHasNoName said:

That assumes a near 100% enrollment of accepted students. This cannot be the case, can it?

@Lindsay1807's post above shows last year's numbers and before. The one missing number is how many interviewed. I expect not many more interviewed than were offered admission. They have to assume that at least some of the people they offer admission will take an offer from a different school even for top programs because those people are likely to get into other top programs.

I totally agree with you :)

48 minutes ago, eagb said:

Hey has anyone gotten any instructions from UCSD about travel? In the invite email it said they'd send instructions when you confirmed but I haven't heard anything back?

I'm going the later weekend and I'm going to have to fly from there straight to the Tri-I interview...if anyone else is doing that we should try to get on the same flight (or more importantly hit the airport bar before the flight). 

I think UCSD gives us $400 dollars to arrange travel and Cornell gives $500. Don't quote me on that.

I'm in the same exact boat- we should 100% try to get on the same flight :). Hit me up!

9 minutes ago, Oddich55 said:

I think UCSD gives us $400 dollars to arrange travel and Cornell gives $500. Don't quote me on that.

I'm in the same exact boat- we should 100% try to get on the same flight :). Hit me up!

Yeah I think those numbers are right and I think Cornell said they'd have us deal with their travel agent. UCSD I was less sure because they didn't really give any instructions. Or reply when I confirmed. Might shoot them an email.  Also $400 might be tight for me from the east coast but hopefully it works out. 

4 hours ago, eagb said:

Yeah I think those numbers are right and I think Cornell said they'd have us deal with their travel agent. UCSD I was less sure because they didn't really give any instructions. Or reply when I confirmed. Might shoot them an email.  Also $400 might be tight for me from the east coast but hopefully it works out. 

Yeah. I'm from Chicago. Chicago-San Diego and back is 400 on the dot. Not sure exactly how to finance the whole Chicago-San Diego-New York thing...

Another thing- UCSD ends on Saturday. Cornell is on Sunday. Whatcha planning to do about that?

47 minutes ago, Oddich55 said:

Yeah. I'm from Chicago. Chicago-San Diego and back is 400 on the dot. Not sure exactly how to finance the whole Chicago-San Diego-New York thing...

Another thing- UCSD ends on Saturday. Cornell is on Sunday. Whatcha planning to do about that?

Either overnight flight (because the time change will suck going back east) or crash with friends in NYC. But yeah I'm in Pittsburgh and flights PIT-SAN-NYC are really close to 400 so I don't want to wait too long. I think UCSD is reimbursing us so maybe I can get Cornell to pay for San Diego to NYC or something. Shoot me a message if you want to figure it out. 

Edited by eagb

19 hours ago, Lindsay1807 said:

Hey guys, for those of you (like me) who applied to UCSF Bioinformatics, they seemed to have posted admission statistics already?? I'm not sure what to make of this...

Although, they've merged a few subdivisions of iPQB into one recently; bioinformatics used to have its own page.

http://graduate.ucsf.edu/programs/ipqb-admissions-and-enrollment

I think that the 2016-2017 statistics refer to the graduate students who applied last year and enrolled this year. I remember seeing those same statistics back in October/November. I also applied to iPQB and I haven't heard anything back yet. It looks like interview invites were sent out the first week of January in the past few years, so that's probably when they'll be sent out.

51 minutes ago, Giant_Squid said:

I think that the 2016-2017 statistics refer to the graduate students who applied last year and enrolled this year. I remember seeing those same statistics back in October/November. I also applied to iPQB and I haven't heard anything back yet. It looks like interview invites were sent out the first week of January in the past few years, so that's probably when they'll be sent out.

EDIT: Now I think I'm wrong. It does look like early January! Please disregard the rest of the message...

The Bioinformatics program within iPQB have sent out invites mid January the past few years. Just thought I would mention that since people here might get worried if early January passes. I applied for bioinformatics. Not sure if I should have applied for the general program or not. I would like to hear back sooner lol.

Shoot. Just checked my UCSF application and my GRE scores weren't attached despite having sent them months ago. I resent them and emailed the program coordinator. Hopefully I can still be considered... :(

EDIT: Luckily I have the ETS confirmation that it was sent previously as proof. I doubt it will be a problem.

@AGradStudentHasNoName Actually I noticed this around when apps were due and I emailed the administrator - she replied saying that they were having problems pairing with ETS but if I had my self reported scores submitted then they'd consider the app complete and would submit it for review.  Although, they should really update the status on the grad app 'status' page....it should be fine :)

On 12/30/2016 at 2:37 AM, AGradStudentHasNoName said:

Great thoughts. 70% is a high rate for the people who receive offer to accept it. In this case, it seems that the admission rate is quite high for the people who get the interview.

7 hours ago, eagb said:

Has anyone gotten any instructions on travel from Yale CBB?

No instructions, sadly. They'll probably come out soon, as the interview is only a month away.

Another result to add - got an interview for Northwestern DGP - Biomedical Informatics focus.

21 hours ago, Oddich55 said:

No instructions, sadly. They'll probably come out soon, as the interview is only a month away.

Another result to add - got an interview for Northwestern DGP - Biomedical Informatics focus.

Congratulation. I heard they only enroll 1-3 students in this program. After all this University does not really have many computational faculty- and most are bio-stat. But the location of Northwestern Medical School is great!

Seems you are in Chicago too. May I know which university you are?

55 minutes ago, SystemsBioYu said:

Congratulation. I heard they only enroll 1-3 students in this program. After all this University does not really have many computational faculty- and most are bio-stat. But the location of Northwestern Medical School is great!

Seems you are in Chicago too. May I know which university you are?

Very true. They are envolved with CAPRICORN, though, a cross-instituation research initiative for biomedical informatics and they are beefing up their computational chops are Northwestern. 

Haha. I'm from Loyola University, on the north side. Where are you from?