Fall 2018 MSW Application Preparation

MekaelaNoel

Hello all, 

I have recently found this forum, and it has been so helpful! I am a currently serving Peace Corps Volunteer, and I'm starting to get things together to apply for Fall 2018 MSW. I have chosen my top ten schools, which I can give you if interested, and now I'm starting to work on my personal statement. 

I have some questions:

-How early is too early to send in an application? I am shooting for August/September to start the online applications, starting on my personal statements next week. 

-What unusual tips do you have for the personal statement? I've read so much, including the threads here, but do you have anything to add? 

-Should the issues essay be related to the field that you want to go into? Honestly although I'm quite interested in helping people, I'm not well versed in the research behind social issues. I was a psychology major in university, but I have recently changed my mind on my career. Thus is definitely the most intimidating part of the applications for me, although not every school requires it. 

I'm sure I have more, but I can't think of any at the moment. Thanks in advance!! 

I am fairly sure a lot of the applications don't actually open until September, though the personal statement topics might be available well before then (you can find them on the program's site). Two to four weeks before the priority deadline (varies for each program) seems reasonable. 

It makes sense for your issues essay to be somewhat relevant to your career interests. I plan to do work around sexual violence and wrote my essay on a topic relevant to the field. You don't have to be an expert but you should have an idea of what interests you.

Hello OP,

1) Last year, the deadline was December 15 but I started working on my application at the end of the summer. But I am just doing everything veryyyyy early, that's just part of my personality. I've applied to a couple of places in September. So I guess technically, applications would open also around that time for you as well. I also suggest having you work on your application with your potential supervisor. I would say it takes around a month or two to write a solid research proposal. Applications for major scholarships also tend to be around that time for graduate studies, so it's good to have a solid proposal ready to apply for those.

2) I've also found this great resource : http://www.socialworker.com/products-services/social-work-books/The_Social_Work_Graduate_School_Applicant's_Handbook/

It's a bit old (2005-ish if I remember correctly), but it's still very relevant. 

3) There are tons of people from other helping profession fields that apply to social work at the graduate level. This is not uncommon. The major difference with social work is the "lens" through which we analyze and act on social issues. 

Good luck! Don't hesitate if you have more questions.

20 hours ago, green_dots21 said:

I am fairly sure a lot of the applications don't actually open until September, though the personal statement topics might be available well before then (you can find them on the program's site). Two to four weeks before the priority deadline (varies for each program) seems reasonable. 

It makes sense for your issues essay to be somewhat relevant to your career interests. I plan to do work around sexual violence and wrote my essay on a topic relevant to the field. You don't have to be an expert but you should have an idea of what interests you.

Exactly. I agree with this. No need to be an expert, the whole purpose of going to graduate school is to deepen your understanding of a specific topic or area.

19 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Hello OP,

1) Last year, the deadline was December 15 but I started working on my application at the end of the summer. But I am just doing everything veryyyyy early, that's just part of my personality. I've applied to a couple of places in September. So I guess technically, applications would open also around that time for you as well. I also suggest having you work on your application with your potential supervisor. I would say it takes around a month or two to write a solid research proposal. Applications for major scholarships also tend to be around that time for graduate studies, so it's good to have a solid proposal ready to apply for those.

2) I've also found this great resource : http://www.socialworker.com/products-services/social-work-books/The_Social_Work_Graduate_School_Applicant's_Handbook/

It's a bit old (2005-ish if I remember correctly), but it's still very relevant. 

3) There are tons of people from other helping profession fields that apply to social work at the graduate level. This is not uncommon. The major difference with social work is the "lens" through which we analyze and act on social issues. 

Good luck! Don't hesitate if you have more questions.

Thanks for your reply! I'm not sure what you mean, working in this with my potential supervisor? I'm not going to be doing much, if any, research while pursuing an MSW as far as I've read so far. Can you elaborate? 

Thanks for the tip on the book! I had seen it on another thread here, but I didn't know how relevant it is today. I just made my way through 101 Careers in Social Work, and it definitely helped me think about the SW profession in a better way. 

If you are doing a Thesis/Research Based MSW, you'll have a supervisor that will help you with your research. I've prepared my research proposal with mine. But I don't know if it is the same process if you have a Field Based MSW, with no Thesis attached to it.

2 minutes ago, Adelaide9216 said:

If you are doing a Thesis/Research Based MSW, you'll have a supervisor that will help you with your research. I've prepared my research proposal with mine. But I don't know if it is the same process if you have a Field Based MSW, with no Thesis attached to it.

Ah, I understand. Thanks for the clarification!! 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/14/2017 at 8:08 AM, green_dots21 said:

Hi,

Since you will be attending University of Michigan, from your research/ resources can you tell how good is a joint PhD in social work + another subject (Anthro/sociology/etc). I am a leading a tribal women collective and have 3 years of progressive experience which cuts across multiple thematic areas concerning rural development, I also have 2.5 year's MIS experience so able to very well cover the technological aspect too. I am preparing my application to apply this fall. Just wondering how to approach, Joint Social work PhD is good option as it is related but PhD in sociology/Gender studies/ Social Psychology also interest me. 

On 4/13/2017 at 7:26 PM, MekaelaNoel said:

Hello all, 

I have recently found this forum, and it has been so helpful! I am a currently serving Peace Corps Volunteer, and I'm starting to get things together to apply for Fall 2018 MSW. I have chosen my top ten schools, which I can give you if interested, and now I'm starting to work on my personal statement. 

I have some questions:

-How early is too early to send in an application? I am shooting for August/September to start the online applications, starting on my personal statements next week. 

-What unusual tips do you have for the personal statement? I've read so much, including the threads here, but do you have anything to add? 

-Should the issues essay be related to the field that you want to go into? Honestly although I'm quite interested in helping people, I'm not well versed in the research behind social issues. I was a psychology major in university, but I have recently changed my mind on my career. Thus is definitely the most intimidating part of the applications for me, although not every school requires it. 

I'm sure I have more, but I can't think of any at the moment. Thanks in advance!! 

Please share your compilation of top 10 schools in which you will apply. 

Edited by vaibhavpandey

3 hours ago, vaibhavpandey said:

Hi,

Since you will be attending University of Michigan, from your research/ resources can you tell how good is a joint PhD in social work + another subject (Anthro/sociology/etc). I am a leading a tribal women collective and have 3 years of progressive experience which cuts across multiple thematic areas concerning rural development, I also have 2.5 year's MIS experience so able to very well cover the technological aspect too. I am preparing my application to apply this fall. Just wondering how to approach, Joint Social work PhD is good option as it is related but PhD in sociology/Gender studies/ Social Psychology also interest me. 

Please share your compilation of top 10 schools in which you will apply. 

I am not on campus yet so I can't give you insider feedback. However, I also apply to apply for a Joint PhD in social work and sociology. I can see why a Social Work PhD intrigues you. It seems that ultimately you should decide the type of research you are interested in. If social welfare research methods fit your needs and interests over sociology, gender studies, or other disciplines, go for it. The joint PhD with sociology or psychology seems like a good option based on your interests. You can also do a graduate certificate in gender studies at University of Michigan.

14 hours ago, green_dots21 said:

I am not on campus yet so I can't give you insider feedback. However, I also apply to apply for a Joint PhD in social work and sociology. I can see why a Social Work PhD intrigues you. It seems that ultimately you should decide the type of research you are interested in. If social welfare research methods fit your needs and interests over sociology, gender studies, or other disciplines, go for it. The joint PhD with sociology or psychology seems like a good option based on your interests. You can also do a graduate certificate in gender studies at University of Michigan.

I hope you will be able to give insider info once you join, certificate program looks really good but What i understood is that it is open to students enrolled in the university plus the cost is a bit on the higher side for people working in social roles(developing countries) like me where salary in USD terms is way too low.

On 5/9/2017 at 11:07 PM, vaibhavpandey said:

I hope you will be able to give insider info once you join, certificate program looks really good but What i understood is that it is open to students enrolled in the university plus the cost is a bit on the higher side for people working in social roles(developing countries) like me where salary in USD terms is way too low.

Yes, I know; I meant you can do the certificate in addition to your doctoral studies. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's nice to see others who are already thinking about Fall 2018 and preparing now! That is where I'm at currently and most of the threads I found on here were about Fall 2017 decisions and such. I look forward to bouncing ideas and feedback off the others on this site and submit a strong application this fall. 

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone!

I'm also looking at applying for Fall 2018, but I'll be looking at online programs. Can't quit my current job quite yet! :) I'm considered a non-traditional student - military for almost a decade, and then I went for my undergrad. I have a 3.0 in General Studies from Southern New Hampshire and my current job has absolutely nothing to do with social work, so I'm going to really have to play up my admissions essays.

I've spoken to two programs so far - Simmons and Case Western. I plan on applying to a few others as well (Rutgers, Widener, and Indiana), with Virginia Commonwealth being the ideal target school since I fall under in-state tuition. (I'm in Northern VA.) Columbia's gonna be my dream school because, y'know, Ivy and all.

So with all that being said - any recs on schools? Ultimately, I want a clinical track since my passion is in mental health counseling and advocacy, and I hope to get a counseling/psychology PhD years from now.

Look forward to chatting with all the other 2018 applicants! :)

Hello Everyone!!

Here are my thoughts:

1. Some MSW programs accept applications on a "rolling basis".  This means that they start reviewing the applications as they are received, rather than waiting until the deadline to read all the applications.  I always sent in my application as soon as possible (i.e. within a month of the application becoming available).  It's a lot of work, but well worth ensuring your application gets reviewed and is a priority.

2. I think the best angle to use for your personal statements is to demonstrate personal growth, critical self-reflection and an understanding of the NASW core values.  If you can demonstrate these concepts, you will have a high chance of getting accepted.  Personally, I demonstrated how dealing with a client's death helped me to develop a deeper understanding of boundaries, as well as being able to identify my triggers and learned how to cope and engage in self-care.  I discussed how my relationship with this client allowed me to practice advocacy, human relationships, dignity, etc.

3.  I did mention my ultimate interest (which was working in trauma) and connected it to my current work in homeless care.  I think you should discuss what you know, and if your population of interest is different, be able to demonstrate how your current skills can be relatable.  Or discuss areas of growth.

Good luck!!!!